TSN1290 - Shutting Down

JCon

^^^ don't post **** like that, with absolutely no context to it.......ffs. Those numbers are something the generic, all ages, MW 2+ bullshit that really mean nothing. TSN Radio cared about M25-54, and in that demo they did well enough. Much higher up on the list...

Further...the Afternoon Drive with Hus was consistently one of the top shows in the whole city every book. Morning Show was fairly highly rated, too, WITHIN THE DEMO THEY WERE TRYING TO REACH.....

Edited by Noeller

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

^^^ don't post **** like that, with absolutely no context to it.......ffs. Those numbers are something the generic, all ages, MW 2+ bullshit that really mean nothing. TSN Radio cared about M25-54, and in that demo they did well enough. Much higher up on the list...

Further...the Afternoon Drive with Hus was consistently one of the top shows in the whole city every book. Morning Show was fairly highly rated, too, WITHIN THE DEMO THEY WERE TRYING TO REACH.....

Ratings as of Spring 2020, I wish they showed these QUARTERLY rather than ANNUALLY

https://www.chrisd.ca/2020/05/28/winnipeg-numeris-spring-2020-radio-ratings/

Edited by iHeart

6 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Ratings as of Spring 2020, I wish they showed these QUARTERLY rather than ANNUALLY

https://www.chrisd.ca/2020/05/28/winnipeg-numeris-spring-2020-radio-ratings/

"The below data is for the 12+ demographic, with the Spring 2019 ratings in parentheses for comparison." == giant poop emoji. Your data is garbage and you should feel bad for posting it.

Just now, bustamente said:

Death knell for TSN radio was all about losing the Jets radio rights, they were born when they got the rights and died well they lost them and the added revenue game nights brought

Unless the powers that be intentionally didn't outbid CJOB because they knew this was coming....which is a possibility.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

"The below data is for the 12+ demographic, with the Spring 2019 ratings in parentheses for comparison." == giant poop emoji. Your data is garbage and you should feel bad for posting it.

Unless the powers that be intentionally didn't outbid CJOB because they knew this was coming....which is a possibility.

It's a possibility but does anyone know if they even bid on the rights, I'm sure they did but does anyone know for sure, with the rights, a popular afternoon show and a not to horrid morning show rating wise wouldn't that be enough to stay in the market financially speaking

3 minutes ago, bustamente said:

It's a possibility but does anyone know if they even bid on the rights, I'm sure they did but does anyone know for sure, with the rights, a popular afternoon show and a not to horrid morning show rating wise wouldn't that be enough to stay in the market financially speaking

I think this is more about Bell finding a way to cut costs. Moving to a nearly entirely syndicated format with no real costs other than the minimal cost of programming is a way for them to save money regardless of ratings. They've done "okay" with the comedy format in other markets, which is why they're doing this again. It's an AM station...not exactly a big driver of audience, so it's all about cutting costs everywhere possible.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think this is more about Bell finding a way to cut costs. Moving to a nearly entirely syndicated format with no real costs other than the minimal cost of programming is a way for them to save money regardless of ratings. They've done "okay" with the comedy format in other markets, which is why they're doing this again. It's an AM station...not exactly a big driver of audience, so it's all about cutting costs everywhere possible.

Seems very plausible

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As the only radio station carrying the Jets & Bombers they'll take it on & increase their sports content. I look for their sports department to grow by at least 2 people. More sportstalk in the evening, perhaps?

They’ve had an evening sports show for a couple years. I don’t have the radio on I the evening so have never listened. They added two new for Jets broadcasts and promoted at least one other from part time to regular show. Playing my ” Old man card” they’ve always been my go to for sports coverage. Only time I listened to 1290 was the pregame drive on my way o a Jets game. Could barely listen to those guys shilling their Boston Pizza pregame schtik. 

10 minutes ago, iHeart said:

So anyone thinking who will be a regular on this new station? I wouldn't be surprised if Big Daddy Taz was going to be a regular

I wouldn’t expect any local on air talent. I expect it will be full on remote programming with playback of previously recorded bits. Much like comedy stations on satellite but cleaner. 

6 hours ago, bustamente said:

It's a possibility but does anyone know if they even bid on the rights.

They probably did but two things worked against them CJOB had 9 years of money in the kitty and TSN lost the NHL rights to Sportsnet so they also were down using revenue from that. When's that CFL TV contract up? Could be more bad times for TSN ahead.

13 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What a ******* dogshit corporation. 

Let's Talk only seems to apply to their scam day, not actually treating its employees or customers with any decency.

**** Bell.

With having friends working with bell, one of the worst companies they've ever worked for.

It hadn’t really occurred to me until this morning when I heard the ad but Dr Jay moved his advertising to CJOB last month and more than just the Jets games. That move alone should have foreshadowed the end of TSN1290. 

I feel for all the people that lost jobs, for the on air guys it likely will be the end of their media careers. 

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

It hadn’t really occurred to me until this morning when I heard the ad but Dr Jay moved his advertising to CJOB last month and more than just the Jets games. That move alone should have foreshadowed the end of TSN1290. 

I feel for all the people that lost jobs, for the on air guys it likely will be the end of their media careers. 

What i liked about 1290 was i could listen to the shows on my podcast app if i needed to. The post game show was my go to when hitting the hay.

Have not heard CJOB at all I think when it comes to the Jets. Do they even have a post-game call in? Where am i going to get my "Keep your stick on the ice!" from?

there is absolutely nothing worse than a post-game call in show. So many lunatics who think they know what they're talking about. Absolutely painful. When Bob Irving goes to the phone lines after a Bombers game, that's my cue to shut it off. Love interviews with players and coaches after a win, but the idiots on the phone are absolutely the worst.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there is absolutely nothing worse than a post-game call in show. So many lunatics who think they know what they're talking about. Absolutely painful. When Bob Irving goes to the phone lines after a Bombers game, that's my cue to shut it off. Love interviews with players and coaches after a win, but the idiots on the phone are absolutely the worst.

oIR3m0l.gif