Game 12 : @ Flames

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So if the puck goes off a stick above the cross bar no goal but if you high stick Gaudreau below the cross bar it's still a high stick?

Also, is Morrissey the worst dman now? 🤷‍♂️

No. Beaulieu is. Shocking the guy playing with the bottom 6 plug hasn't looked good? Seriously playing on the right side with Nathan Beaulieu who played 22 ******* minutes?  What do u expect? 

22 minutes for Beaulieu... 

If ppl don't get the real problem by now.. 

Yeesh.. how many more slow starts or piss poor pp and pk and 6 on 5 dump n chases do you need? 22 minutes for Nathan Beaulieu

The Jets' blue line is a bit of a yard sale right now. The pairings don't seem to be working, assignments get missed in the D zone, positioning is sketchy, and the puck movement into the neutral zone is awful to watch at times.

I thought Beaulieu and Stanley had particularly rough outings last night. That high stick Beaulieu took was lame, even if Gaudreau sold the **** out of it. 

But how is that called and not Bennett's brutal cross-check on Morrissey moments before?

19 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The Jets' blue line is a bit of a yard sale right now. The pairings don't seem to be working, assignments get missed in the D zone, positioning is sketchy, and the puck movement into the neutral zone is awful to watch at times.

I thought Beaulieu and Stanley had particularly rough outings last night. That high stick Beaulieu took was lame, even if Gaudreau sold the **** out of it. 

But how is that called and not Bennett's brutal cross-check on Morrissey moments before?

Game in game out there are always long stretches of the game when this happens, the go to move is to bank it off the glass and hope is goes out, Beaulieu in particular should not ever see top D minutes 

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yea I’m with you on this. For example Stanley’s positioning, especially in front of our own net blocking out opposing players needs work. He’s a big man who seems to be still growing into his body. Once that fully settles I think he’s going to be a good one.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

What does this even mean? How about explain your stance instead of making snide remarks?

Snide? It's how you read it. I'm just here to post my thoughts. Your post above was good. Talking about the D pairings there and how bad boo u and Stanley were. Stanley only played about 9 minutes. Boo u played 22. 

That's a problem 

Lewis with doobie and KC. That was a problem. 

Stastny and Wheels were very off last night... VESA prob had his best game as a Jet. 

Why is Stastny and Wheeler on 6 on 5.. I can let that go actually but why are they dumping and chasing 6 on 5. 

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I like Forbort!

He's pretty bad defensively actually. Has he been good? Not really... Bad? Not really.. he is what he's always been and always will be. 

It's time to let Heinola and Samberg have a turn cuz with them.. there is the extreme likelihood they get better. 

Beaulieu and Forbort don't really have a future here. 

Worst part of last night's game.. pre game.. Maurice... Talking about Nate Thompson like he's the missing piece.. they can't wait to get 36 yr old Thompson back and then look out.. 

Beyak and Sawyer then proceeded to go on about Thompson all game long. Like WHAT the heck..

Sawyer is by far the worst color guy in the biz and such a homer that it's hard to listen at times. He's either completely clueless or towing the company (tnse) line with Thompson. 

Bell steals our govt money then let's go a bunch of ppl but Kevin Sawyer survives? How. He's awful. 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Snide? It's how you read it. I'm just here to post my thoughts. Your post above was good. Talking about the D pairings there and how bad boo u and Stanley were. Stanley only played about 9 minutes. Boo u played 22. 

That's a problem 

Lewis with doobie and KC. That was a problem. 

Stastny and Wheels were very off last night... VESA prob had his best game as a Jet. 

Why is Stastny and Wheeler on 6 on 5.. I can let that go actually but why are they dumping and chasing 6 on 5. 

He's pretty bad defensively actually. Has he been good? Not really... Bad? Not really.. he is what he's always been and always will be. 

It's time to let Heinola and Samberg have a turn cuz with them.. there is the extreme likelihood they get better. 

Beaulieu and Forbort don't really have a future here. 

Mocking others indirectly is being snide. There's no need for that kind of disparaging **** in a productive discussion.

The forward lines were experimental in nature last night, which Maurice had stated was his plan prior to the game to balance out ice time. Dubois needed to get his legs under him, so I get the rationale behind what was done. If not for Beaulieu's lousy penalty, the Jets likely get a point last night and the loss stings a lot less. I just hope the line combinations for tomorrow's game are more familiar because there seemed to be a lot of miscommunication last night. Outside of the faceoffs, I thought the forwards played well enough save for a few bumps.

If the team could roll lines structured as 1A, 1B, 2, 3, it would help spread things out.

The blue line continues to struggle and is easily the Jets' weakness on its roster. Morrissey looks like a shell of himself but that could be due to his pairing partner(s), and DeMelo can't seem to get on track. Those are two big pieces not pulling their weight and it exacerbates the defensive issues more often than not. FWIW, advanced statistics show Forbort is one of the team's better defensemen in his own end; I'd say he's the least of the team's problems on the blue line right now. Beaulieu has been far and away the worst this season and he's been playing too much (cause and effect); maybe some time in the press box could help. He is not a top pairing defenseman and never will be, so why he's expected to play such a role baffles me. Perhaps Heinola is worth another look. I'd also like to see Poolman get back in the lineup and stabilize the back end. I have no idea if Samberg is ready; he's yet to suit up in the NHL.

I've never been big on the blender approach to lines or pairings as it rarely seems to work over time and does not foster familiarity of comfort between players. 12 games into this abbreviated season, I think it's time to start stabilizing things, the blue line in particular. These mismatched defender pairings are hard to watch.

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Mocking others indirectly is being snide. There's no need for that kind of disparaging **** in a productive discussion.

The forward lines were experimental in nature last night, which Maurice had stated was his plan prior to the game to balance out ice time. Dubois needed to get his legs under him, so I get the rationale behind what was done. If not for Beaulieu's lousy penalty, the Jets likely get a point last night and the loss stings a lot less. I just hope the line combinations for tomorrow's game are more familiar because there seemed to be a lot of miscommunication last night. Outside of the faceoffs, I thought the forwards played well enough save for a few bumps.

If the team could roll lines structured as 1A, 1B, 2, 3, it would help spread things out.

The blue line continues to struggle and is easily the Jets' weakness on its roster. Morrissey looks like a shell of himself but that could be due to his pairing partner(s), and DeMelo can't seem to get on track. Those are two big pieces not pulling their weight and it exacerbates the defensive issues more often than not. FWIW, advanced statistics show Forbort is one of the team's better defensemen in his own end; I'd say he's the least of the team's problems on the blue line right now. Beaulieu has been far and away the worst this season and he's been playing too much (cause and effect); maybe some time in the press box could help. He is not a top pairing defenseman and never will be, so why he's expected to play such a role baffles me. Perhaps Heinola is worth another look. I'd also like to see Poolman get back in the lineup and stabilize the back end. I have no idea if Samberg is ready; he's yet to suit up in the NHL.

I've never been big on the blender approach to lines or pairings as it rarely seems to work over time and does not foster familiarity of comfort between players. 12 games into this abbreviated season, I think it's time to start stabilizing things, the blue line in particular. These mismatched defender pairings are hard to watch.

Well said.  Hopefully Poolman coming back will be part of the answer, but I’d be shocked if Beaulieu was pulled from the lineup and it also likely means Heinola is another step further from getting on the ice.  With how poorly we move the puck out of our zone, Heinola would probably be a nice upgrade.  And unlike Beaulieu, he’s only going to get better.

I’m also on board with the complete confusion over even mentioning Thompson’s name.  There should be basically no scenario where he finds his way back into the lineup.  Ridiculous.

Edited by BomberBall

Poolman and Heinola would both make a huge improvement. Who comes out? 

Likely Beaulieu and Stanley. 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to rotate the 2 kids with potential. Samberg can anchor the Moose with Kovacevic Chisholm etc... 

So.. healthy top 6 D 

L - Morrissey. Forbort. Heinola/Stanley

R - Poolman? Pionk. Demelo. 

Demelo and Heinola would make a good pair actually. Poolman is underrated imo and came into his own vs Cal in the play-in  round. One of Jets few bright spots.  Pionk Forbort are fine for now I think. 

But really what the D needs outside of an Ekblad or Hamilton or Top pair 1 RHD is really a team effort.. forwards really need to help out... You know for as rough as the D have been... And it's been bad... The forwards a couple now for sure in particular in Wheeler and Connor, are just garbage in their own zone. The D gets them the puck in our zone.. Wheels and KC turn it over 60 70 percent of the time.. failed attempts to clear.. Lowry does it also.. they just are poorly coached defensively it seems. Ehlers? He skates it out. KC can't do the same? 

Team needs to be more aware defensively. PLD helps that, a smart move btw to put the defensively inept Connor with PLD. Lewis? Dudes a good PK guy but 5 on 5 with speedsters Connor and Dubois?

I like Maurice.. I hope they do well and he stays for years to come.. he's a good person to learn hockey from. He's a good coach actually.. I **** on the guy at times but.. he's literally trying to make chicken salad out of chicken **** defensively... 

At the same time.. the absolute love of the way past prime vet glue guy is an issue and you gotta wonder if the Jets miss the playoffs if that's it for Paul and the entire coaching crew. Or maybe Dave Lowry was brought in for that. Paul moves to the office. 

Edited by Goalie