2021 CFL Free Agency

Jpan85

23 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You need toughness. Not speed. And a physicality to play inside because now you're bumping with linebackers & defensive backs. Not just corners on an island relying on a safety to have their backs. There isn't as much room so small windows of opportunities exist when the ball is thrown. Sure handedness & toughness outweigh speed. 

Speed certainly helps if you want to be a top end slotback.  Every metric you can come up with matters.  Smarts is also a big one because you can get on the same page with the QB and read the zones like Milt did.  Im not for one minute suggesting the DW can't or shouldn't be an option at slockback.  I'm just looking at the makeup of our receiving core and suggesting that Id rather be focused on picking up a potentially dynamic slotback like Bryant Mitchell then picking up a WR and moving DW to slot. I can point to guys like Bralon Addison and Brandon Banks as successful slotbacks who are defined more by their speed then toughness. You can point to a guy like Nik Lewis who was more of a smarts and toughness guy.  I want us to again have a slotback who literally has the whole package and I think there's a chance that Bryant Mitchell can bring that to the table. DW can certainly play slotback but I'm sure you're not suggesting he could be a gamebreaker. 

23 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You need toughness. Not speed. And a physicality to play inside because now you're bumping with linebackers & defensive backs. Not just corners on an island relying on a safety to have their backs. There isn't as much room so small windows of opportunities exist when the ball is thrown. Sure handedness & toughness outweigh speed. 

You can make a lot of different skill sets work at slot, from milt to nik lewis. Its all about how they are used. Also, woli has good speed for his size.  BC was trying to sign him before he got his NI papers as an imp. I have no doubt woli would excel at slot, hes really good with the tough yards and with catch and run stuff. 

9 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Speed certainly helps if you want to be a top end slotback.  Every metric you can come up with matters.  Smarts is also a big one because you can get on the same page with the QB and read the zones like Milt did.  Im not for one minute suggesting the DW can't or shouldn't be an option at slockback.  I'm just looking at the makeup of our receiving core and suggesting that Id rather be focused on picking up a potentially dynamic slotback like Bryant Mitchell then picking up a WR and moving DW to slot. I can point to guys like Bralon Addison and Brandon Banks as successful slotbacks who are defined more by their speed then toughness. You can point to a guy like Nik Lewis who was more of a smarts and toughness guy.  I want us to again have a slotback who literally has the whole package and I think there's a chance that Bryant Mitchell can bring that to the table. DW can certainly play slotback but I'm sure you're not suggesting he could be a gamebreaker. 

Too bad we can't have Joe Poplawski step into a time machine & come out 40 years younger.

19 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Colin just wants to go back to the days of milt and Bruce at slot. 

Lots of ways to make receivers work. All depends on what kind of offense you're running.

Not wrong.  I mean we won a Grey Cup with what he had last year so that can't be overlooked.  Im just dreaming of a vastly improved passing attack with Zach Collaros at the helm this season. 

On 2021-03-04 at 5:22 PM, rebusrankin said:

Don't we all want a Milt/Arland Bruce combo at SB?

or the 2000 core with geroy, aj3, milt and robert gordon. Heck the milt, armstrong and TE would be great too. I think we have as much talent and athleticism in the wr core since then and I fully expect to see the most productive passing game we've seen in that time as well. 

Glad to hear that Zach Collaros said that he is having input into the plays in Buck's playbook. I take it that means less running & more throwing. Harris is 33 & he can't be expected to always carry the load for the Bombers game in & game out like he did with LaPo's offense. Instead of 1400 yards rushing , I'd be happy with 1000-1100 yards & a more diverse passing game. It also means Harris can pick his spots where he can have those games where he dominates & others where he just contributes to wins to help save him for the playoffs where the run game takes on more importance. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/16/alouettes-receiver-quan-bray-made-a-mistake-being-arrested-with-157-pounds-of-marijuana/

"The Montreal Alouettes re-signed receiver Quan Bray after his charges for being arrested with 157 pounds of marijuana reached a conclusion.... One of the charges against Bray was dropped, while he pleaded guilty to the other and was required to pay a fine."

I feel like it wasn't long ago carrying a bag of weed that weighs more than Weston Dressler would have netted you some jail time. I am glad he was able to be re-signed

**** everything about that organization and the separate set of rules they get to abide by, because apparently they're so important to the long term health of the league. Fart noises. I hope they're forced to cut half the guys they signed this off season...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

**** everything about that organization and the separate set of rules they get to abide by, because apparently they're so important to the long term health of the league. Fart noises. I hope they're forced to cut half the guys they signed this off season...

There's almost no doubt they'll have to.  There may not be a cap now but there will be eventually and there's no way they are under.  It'll be interesting to see the reaction from the guys they are signing to big deals only to be cut a couple months down the road.

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Maher...meh. Larry Arugala for sure...that'd be an interesting name if Medlock is done. But he's gonna ask for a lot of money...best kicker outside of Meddy.

From the little I have seen and heard about our new kicker, we ought to be OK. There will be a few hiccups if Medlock does the probable and hangs 'em up. Competition is always good, though. Has Hajrullahu  matured enough?

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

From the little I have seen and heard about our new kicker, we ought to be OK. There will be a few hiccups if Medlock does the probable and hangs 'em up. Competition is always good, though. Has Hajrullahu  matured enough?

he was the best kicker in the league not named Medlock, so yeah, definitely mature enough...

Just now, Colin Unger said:

hajrullahu wouldn't sign a contract where he was just pushing a kid.  If Maher has no other options maybe he would. 

I feel like there are more vet kickers than open jobs rn. 

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Yeah, but id always be leery of resting duties on an unproven guy. 

Maybe sergio castillo would be a better fit, I think he's a FA.