2021 CFL Free Agency

Jpan85

44 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

For some reason they won't move Wolitarski inside which makes no sense at all. 

With Zach Collaros im expecting Wolitarsky to put up much better numbers.  I don't think that Nichols had the accuracy to really take advantage of the mismatches that Drew presents out on the boundary. 

32 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

With Zach Collaros im expecting Wolitarsky to put up much better numbers.  I don't think that Nichols had the accuracy to really take advantage of the mismatches that Drew presents out on the boundary. 

It's more the offense we run. We throw the ball to the slots more than the wideouts. Put Woli inside he has the potential to be a legit thousand yard receiver. He deserves better than 2 catches for 17 yards kind of game we've seen. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's more the offense we run. We throw the ball to the slots more than the wideouts. Put Woli inside he has the potential to be a legit thousand yard receiver. He deserves better than 2 catches for 17 yards kind of game we've seen. 

Well the issue he had was that he ran routes further then 5 yards so at that point unless it was a called deep play then Nichols would not go through his reads and would dump it off to Harris.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

It's funny because I have noticed that more and more they are putting the star receiver in certain plays at that boundary spot creating a big miss match. 

Yes that's true but it really only works in high tempo offence that is in man coverage and really can only be done sporadically because the field side, mismatch or not, is a tough throw. oops...just noticed you said boundary....yea....every team lines up its star receivers in the boundary primarily.

Edited by GCn20

15 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

People think a high completion % (in a short yardage passing offense at that) He was by no means joe montana throwing guys open, or leading them to extra yardage. But idk if the cfl has one of those guys right now. 

17 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

How can you say Nichols doesn't have accuracy? Otherwise he'd be throwing interceptions all over the place & have a completion percentage well under 50%. Most of it was LaPo's offense. It's all about the routes & decisions Nichols made as to who he threw to. It has nothing to do with accuracy.

Nichols career stats are as follows:  He has attempted 2,373 passes with 1,582 completions for 18,363 yards & 108 touchdowns. He has a career completion average of 66.7% & has thrown 60 interceptions. Nichols has a career qb rating of 93.2. Those aren't numbers of a player who isn't accurate. Now, he has other deficiencies that come into play but that isn't what you said so therefore not worth mentioning. 

I'd like you to define accuracy...

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How can you say Nichols doesn't have accuracy? Otherwise he'd be throwing interceptions all over the place & have a completion percentage well under 50%. Most of it was LaPo's offense. It's all about the routes & decisions Nichols made as to who he threw to. It has nothing to do with accuracy.

Nichols career stats are as follows:  He has attempted 2,373 passes with 1,582 completions for 18,363 yards & 108 touchdowns. He has a career completion average of 66.7% & has thrown 60 interceptions. Nichols has a career qb rating of 93.2. Those aren't numbers of a player who isn't accurate. Now, he has other deficiencies that come into play but that isn't what you said so therefore not worth mentioning. 

I'd like you to define accuracy...

Pre injuries his accuracy wasn't an issue.   Post injuries he was afraid to go through his reads and throw over 5 yards deep.  It's not hard to achieve a high accuracy when you dump off 5 yard passes continually.  

His last two seasons he struggled greatly to throw to any of our guys in stride.  He was placing them in areas that nobody could get them,  it was night and day different when Zach was in the game.   Guys like Bailey and Lawler were actually seeing balls come to them while in stride,  Zach at least gave them a chance to make the play.  

And for the millionth time... it's not all on LaPolice,  watch the games with our awesome o-line... Matt had time in the pocket... he had guys running routes who were open... he simply was no longer comfortable making the throws and would either dump it off to Harris or take the sack. 

Yes LaPo ran a gameplan that was run heavy,  but it wasn't like his passing plays were all 5 yard curls to Harris.   The times that I did get to see them live I watched the receivers run the routes and had their hands up trying to get Matt's attention and he just wasn't seeing anyone.    

I always go back to 2 seasons ago when Strev took over in the 2nd quarter and the offense went from limp to instantly alive because he took two steps back and fired a ball 15 yards down in an area where the receiver could make the play.   

Nichols pre injuries was a good QB,  look up my old post where I showed pre injuries how he had plenty of 250 + yard passing games... post injuries it dropped considerably.   

I have virtually the entire 2019 season on my PVR and watch fairly regularly. There are many, many examples of Nichols throwing deep. I absolutely do not buy that he was ever "scared" of doing that. The offense was designed with a lot of check-downs. Part of that is Andrew Harris, part of it is just Lapo. But it's absolutely untrue that Nichols couldn't or wouldn't go deep, and I don't think that guy is scared of anything...he took a pounding. 

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

he was afraid to go through his reads and throw over 5 yards deep

I feel like we have said this for every qb we have had the last few times Lapo has been here. Maybe, just maybe that's a huge thing in the Lapolice offense. 

I mean Drew Willy became dump off man, Matt Nichols did it. Streveler started out throwing all over the place and became run or dump it off guy... Maybe that's just want Lapo does to his quarterbacks? The more time they play the more they dump off. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I have virtually the entire 2019 season on my PVR and watch fairly regularly. There are many, many examples of Nichols throwing deep. I absolutely do not buy that he was ever "scared" of doing that. The offense was designed with a lot of check-downs. Part of that is Andrew Harris, part of it is just Lapo. But it's absolutely untrue that Nichols couldn't or wouldn't go deep, and I don't think that guy is scared of anything...he took a pounding. 

The issue with Nichols is that he is not as accurate on the deep ball as some guys. He took his shots because a lapolice offense will always try and hit some big plays. 

Collaros has a much more accurate arm than Nichols on the deep shots, however I felt that Collaros wasn't as accurate throwing the shorter stuff to Harris as Nichols was. 

It's the CFL, there is no perfect quarterback in this league. Just find a guy that works with what you are doing and for a lot of years Nichols worked, except for his injuries.

Just now, Noeller said:

Fear isnt really accurate. Its more like slight hesitation. And the deep ball windows can close quickly.  If a qb is aggressive in pushing the ball down field the instant they see the window open its often missed. Yeah early in his 2019 run we did see more pushing the ball down field than we had previous.  But it wasnt like he was throwing "50/50" balls and letting his wrs make plays, or even game design. Our 2019 group of wr's were very dangerous top to bottom and defenses took a while to adapt to the level of speed we brought in. 

The fault is to be shared, pretty close to equally.  Lapo didnt keep the offense and nichols growing and improving year to year.  Nichols battled a lot of injuries here. Harris and the OL is relatively low blame not much more they could have done. 

With Collaros and Buck running the show now I expect to see more of a difference than we've seen on offense for 5 or so years. And I cant wait to see what they bring to the table. 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I feel like we have said this for every qb we have had the last few times Lapo has been here. Maybe, just maybe that's a huge thing in the Lapolice offense. 

I mean Drew Willy became dump off man, Matt Nichols did it. Streveler started out throwing all over the place and became run or dump it off guy... Maybe that's just want Lapo does to his quarterbacks? The more time they play the more they dump off. 

The issue with Nichols is that he is not as accurate on the deep ball as some guys. He took his shots because a lapolice offense will always try and hit some big plays. 

Collaros has a much more accurate arm than Nichols on the deep shots, however I felt that Collaros wasn't as accurate throwing the shorter stuff to Harris as Nichols was. 

It's the CFL, there is no perfect quarterback in this league. Just find a guy that works with what you are doing and for a lot of years Nichols worked, except for his injuries.

Drew was shell shocked and played with a fraction of the talent that Matt did and by the end he was so damaged that he couldn't play at all.

Why do you ignore the fact that Nichols DID play well under Lapo and did put up big numbers up until his big injury?  Before he was hurt he was throwing the ball deep more often and did spread the ball around.

Maybe it was possible that teams had film on Strev and his issues were part of his growing pains?  How come Zach was able to walk in and immediately throw passes further then 5 yards.

As I said before...  watch the games live and look at the receivers... they are running routes putting their hands up trying to get Matt's attention and he rarely went through his reads and toss the ball to someone.   Nearly all of his deep ball passes were were to his 1st read,  and for those he was accurate. 

If it was all on LaPo then why was Zach able to hit that beautiful end zone TD and why didn't he dump the ball or turtle like how Matt would of.

Any fan who actually watched the last two seasons could see the issue wasn't LaPo and that the issue was Nichols.  If you need proof watch the Grey Cup.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Pre injuries his accuracy wasn't an issue.   Post injuries he was afraid to go through his reads and throw over 5 yards deep.  It's not hard to achieve a high accuracy when you dump off 5 yard passes continually.  

His last two seasons he struggled greatly to throw to any of our guys in stride.  He was placing them in areas that nobody could get them,  it was night and day different when Zach was in the game.   Guys like Bailey and Lawler were actually seeing balls come to them while in stride,  Zach at least gave them a chance to make the play.  

And for the millionth time... it's not all on LaPolice,  watch the games with our awesome o-line... Matt had time in the pocket... he had guys running routes who were open... he simply was no longer comfortable making the throws and would either dump it off to Harris or take the sack. 

Yes LaPo ran a gameplan that was run heavy,  but it wasn't like his passing plays were all 5 yard curls to Harris.   The times that I did get to see them live I watched the receivers run the routes and had their hands up trying to get Matt's attention and he just wasn't seeing anyone.    

I always go back to 2 seasons ago when Strev took over in the 2nd quarter and the offense went from limp to instantly alive because he took two steps back and fired a ball 15 yards down in an area where the receiver could make the play.   

Nichols pre injuries was a good QB,  look up my old post where I showed pre injuries how he had plenty of 250 + yard passing games... post injuries it dropped considerably.   

Nichols was never scared. Leave it to a fan sitting in his living room to call out a player's courage. In 2018, he had a QBR of 91.0 & in 2019 it was 107.2.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nichols was never scared. Leave it to a fan sitting in his living room to call out a player's courage. In 2018, he had a QBR of 91.0 & in 2019 it was 107.2.

Then explain his inability to pull the trigger the last two seasons and his frequent shrimping and taking the sack? Are you going to suggest that he was exactly the same player as he was before his injuries because the stats show before the injuries he was able to throw the ball and actually accumulate more then 250 yards passing. 

QBR does not factor yards thrown and a higher completion % is mainly what helps that stat.  I'm not saying the guy was a coward,  I'm saying he was afraid to throw the ball and afraid of getting hurt because he wasn't able to take a hit anymore.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Fear isnt really accurate. Its more like slight hesitation. And the deep ball windows can close quickly.  If a qb is aggressive in pushing the ball down field the instant they see the window open its often missed. Yeah early in his 2019 run we did see more pushing the ball down field than we had previous.  But it wasnt like he was throwing "50/50" balls and letting his wrs make plays, or even game design. Our 2019 group of wr's were very dangerous top to bottom and defenses took a while to adapt to the level of speed we brought in. 

The fault is to be shared, pretty close to equally.  Lapo didnt keep the offense and nichols growing and improving year to year.  Nichols battled a lot of injuries here. Harris and the OL is relatively low blame not much more they could have done. 

With Collaros and Buck running the show now I expect to see more of a difference than we've seen on offense for 5 or so years. And I cant wait to see what they bring to the table. 

I think Nichols lost his confidence & his hesitation was a result. My son used to go to a lot of qb camps in the US with some of the best coaches around at the college & pro level. I used to hear these coaches tell the qbs there to get rid of the ball quickly & "to trust your eyes". In other words if the pass is there don't question it just throw it as that window will close very quickly. Coming back, Nichols struggled losing his confidence. 

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Then explain his inability to pull the trigger the last two seasons and his frequent shrimping and taking the sack? Are you going to suggest that he was exactly the same player as he was before his injuries because the stats show before the injuries he was able to throw the ball and actually accumulate more then 250 yards passing. 

QBR does not factor yards thrown and a higher completion % is mainly what helps that stat.  I'm not saying the guy was a coward,  I'm saying he was afraid to throw the ball and afraid of getting hurt because he wasn't able to take a hit anymore.

See my answer above. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

If it was all on LaPo then why was Zach able to hit that beautiful end zone TD and why didn't he dump the ball or turtle like how Matt would of.

I remember reading that Zach actually drew that one up and brought it to LaPo. They work on it together and it was in the playbook... I think Zach was more vocal to LaPo about what he can and wanted to do.

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Drew was shell shocked and played with a fraction of the talent that Matt did and by the end he was so damaged that he couldn't play at all.

Why do you ignore the fact that Nichols DID play well under Lapo and did put up big numbers up until his big injury?  Before he was hurt he was throwing the ball deep more often and did spread the ball around.

Maybe it was possible that teams had film on Strev and his issues were part of his growing pains?  How come Zach was able to walk in and immediately throw passes further then 5 yards.

As I said before...  watch the games live and look at the receivers... they are running routes putting their hands up trying to get Matt's attention and he rarely went through his reads and toss the ball to someone.   Nearly all of his deep ball passes were were to his 1st read,  and for those he was accurate. 

Any fan who actually watched the last two seasons could see the issue wasn't LaPo and that the issue was Nichols.  If you need proof watch the Grey Cup.

As I said, Nichols came in and did the things you praise collaros for. Willy started the same way. Streveler too. But when ever qb that comes through here has the same progression towards ultra safe dump offs you gotta start looking at the guy coaching the offense.

On 2021-03-02 at 7:21 AM, GCn20 said:

So move who exactly to field side wide receiver? Who does DW beat out? Mitchell, Lawler, or Demski? There are only so many positions on the field and someone must play the field side.

The only guy on this list that I think would potentially be a fit for fieldside would be Kenny Lawler.  It really comes down to who is the pound for pound better receiver DW or KL.  I have a lot of respect for DW but I think KL is a better overall receiver. 

The problem with playing DW at slot with Nichols is that you need to put speed at slot.  Guys who get open quickly. He liked to get rid of the ball quickly and he was also hesitant to throw the ball to receivers who looked like they were covered.  DW is the kind of guy who rarely has a step or two on a defensive back but is always an option if you have a QB with the confidence and accuracy to put the ball in the right spot.   

A qb like Khari Jones would have been able to utilize DW in the slot like he did Jamie Stoddard. Khari before he got shell shocked was fearless and didn't melt down when he threw a couple of picks. He would just keep slinging and put up 5 tds.

23 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The only guy on this list that I think would potentially be a fit for fieldside would be Kenny Lawler.  It really comes down to who is the pound for pound better receiver DW or KL.  I have a lot of respect for DW but I think KL is a better overall receiver. 

IMO, you want guys who can get open in a phone booth, are surehanded, and have YAC ability in the slots. Drew Wolitarsky is a great field side option for us and performance at that position should not be measured by yards or number of receptions. He is very good at keeping defences honest in his role as FS WR.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

The problem with playing DW at slot with Nichols is that you need to put speed at slot.  Guys who get open quickly. He liked to get rid of the ball quickly and he was also hesitant to throw the ball to receivers who looked like they were covered.  DW is the kind of guy who rarely has a step or two on a defensive back but is always an option if you have a QB with the confidence and accuracy to put the ball in the right spot.   

A qb like Khari Jones would have been able to utilize DW in the slot like he did Jamie Stoddard. Khari before he got shell shocked was fearless and didn't melt down when he threw a couple of picks. He would just keep slinging and put up 5 tds.

You need toughness. Not speed. And a physicality to play inside because now you're bumping with linebackers & defensive backs. Not just corners on an island relying on a safety to have their backs. There isn't as much room so small windows of opportunities exist when the ball is thrown. Sure handedness & toughness outweigh speed. 

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Having Uncle Milt to throw to didn't hurt Khari's confidence, either. Khari could lob the ball in the general direction of Milt and he would go get it more often than not.