2021 CFL Free Agency

Jpan85

5 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Toronto has got a little bit better but they still have a battle ahead of them.  They now have the 4th best QB in their division (hamilton has two of the top 3) and they have a head coach who is pretty green. They still have an uphill battle to make the playoffs.  I wouldn't sleep on Ottawa being better then them this season.  Lapo can run the same offence he had in Winnipeg.  Make very few mistakes and pound the rock. They will be difficult to beat if their defense holds up.

Toronto can't draft, sign or develop their own players. They have to get them thru free agency. Sad sack organization.

10 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

McCallister and Kongbo are both DE's too. I like Kongbo to be resigned too. McCallister did not accept a PR spot before so you never know if he leaves again if he doesn't crack the lineup. 

But again, we have enough DE's already but we need an established DT. 

Exactly, that was my thought/suggestion that I had with a pair of Cdn Interior guys  and the rotation idea.. The strength of our Defense is the DE's we have, plus maintaining an Import Linebacker group and Secondary...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this in any thread but according to 3DN, and Burnham himself, the Bombers went hard and heavy after him and things got interesting before BC smartened up and gave him the money he wanted. Seems to me we might be players in FA after all.

9 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

McCallister and Kongbo are both DE's too. I like Kongbo to be resigned too. McCallister did not accept a PR spot before so you never know if he leaves again if he doesn't crack the lineup. 

But again, we have enough DE's already but we need an established DT. 

I didn't even know McAlister was back. He's a stud.

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

All I know is that TSN is obessed with Hughes and over the last 5 years on both teams he played for they continously would show his stupid mug shot and would fawn over him at all times.    They'll die if he doesn't sign somewhere.  

They fawn all over the Riders fanbase. I miss CFL football but I don't miss Rod Black or Glen Suitor. 

Sewell would be a nice add......however he sounded like he was giving a change of job/life kind of goodbye...I hope he stays in football and we can sign him...What an awesome D line we'd have if he came on board

29 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

So you're saying there was a chance? 

Thought we were kicking the tires on Burnham BUT all for not....Most likely Walters bailed early when he could see we were most likely a pawn in the money game...Burnham playing both ends against the middle

12 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Yep. 

I wonder if they can bring in Winnipeg boy TJ Jones. What was the problem on his contract with the Argos before? 

His deal with Toronto was for $200k but he's classified as a rookie under the current CBA so he can only make the rookie max ($80k).  He's not willing to play for that amount so it's doubtful we ever see him up here.

33 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

His deal with Toronto was for $200k but he's classified as a rookie under the current CBA so he can only make the rookie max ($80k).  He's not willing to play for that amount so it's doubtful we ever see him up here.

Is he still classified as a rookie if he was under contract last season?

The league needs to make an exception for players who are not eligable for rookie of the year in the CFL.  I mean they can't compete for rookie of the year bonus money but they have to earn rookie money. 

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

Is he still classified as a rookie if he was under contract last season?

The league needs to make an exception for players who are not eligable for rookie of the year in the CFL.  I mean they can't compete for rookie of the year bonus money but they have to earn rookie money. 

I'm not sure if it's the teams or the players that want the rookie cap. 

46 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

His contract was never registered with the league so yes he's still a rookie.

We could always sign him as a rookie and then he could also pursue his dream of working alongside Adam Bighill in the off season as a financial advisor making a few extra bucks  on the side :)