2021 CFL Free Agency

Jpan85

13 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I believe MBT is a FA already. He opted out to try the xfl or something didn't he

Could be, I have no freakin clue its hard to keep track of that stuff in this double off season. 😆

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Big mistake by Ottawa... throwing away a QB with potential and who is healthy for a guy on a steep decline and has maybe top two seasons left in him.

If we are to believe 17to85... did they really need to sign Nichols if the gameplan revolves around 5 yard passes?  Couldn't they sign any immobile QB at a cheaper rate to dink and dunk passes?

Big time upgrade for Toronto and if they get MBT back then they'll at least have some decent CFL experience QB's who can throw the ball. 

I feel like you can start a countdown to lapolice being back at tsn, or being an OC already.  They dont have our Ol or a top tier one, nor do they have a top tier RB. Giving up on the young high upside qb for the old injured down side of his career guy is nuts. Maybe plop doesnt feel he will get enough leash to develop a young qb but dang it seems like the RBs are about to waste a season.  Can any one expect nichols to drop back to pass 50 times a game at this point? 

20 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

1. Surprised on Awe's release

2. Why do people think Lawler is heading East?

I'm not surprised that Awe was released.  He's the kind of guy you sign near the end of free agency when he didn't land a starting salary somewhere and can get him for cheap as a depth piece.  Right now Winnipeg has a chance to upgrade some starting positions and that has to be the priority right now. 

Zach was willing to restructure, fortunately for us. Judging by what going on out East, that whole scenario could have played out pretty poorly for us if Zach wanted more upfront and we balked (not that I think it could have ever happened). Then maybe he goes East and we welcome Matt back? Haha heads would have exploded. In any case I'm glad we have who we have and can sit back and watch the craziness from afar.

19 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Zach was willing to restructure, fortunately for us. Judging by what going on out East, that whole scenario could have played out pretty poorly for us if Zach wanted more upfront and we balked (not that I think it could have ever happened). Then maybe he goes East and we welcome Matt back? Haha heads would have exploded. In any case I'm glad we have who we have and can sit back and watch the craziness from afar.

Agreed, much nicer to be like this

MrW5mUX.gif

I wonder what level of interest we would have in Bryan Burnham or Ricky Collins as a consolation prize?  Burnham would be the better fit because he's a slotback but chances are he re-signs with BC.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I guess this means they'll be releasing him. ;)

I guess this would leave Collins and Eric Rogers for us to target?

10 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I wonder what level of interest we would have in Bryan Burnham or Ricky Collins as a consolation prize?  Burnham would be the better fit because he's a slotback but chances are he re-signs with BC.

I'm afraid we will end up with 'No Names' 😁

I don't know where this Lawler to Ott comes from...Cause of lapo?...highly doubt that. Lawler wasn't used like he should have been in Lapo's "system" and being in it would be the difference from him being a 600-800 a year receiver, to a 1000+ guy in a different one...Playing in a Lapo system as a receiver is your ticket to average stats, and average earnings

Peterman loss is a non issue..potential sure, but maybe not, and he wasn't key for us in any manner, he won't unseat Woli or Demski, and we have Oleary-Orange who is cheaper, and offers more upside if you ask me

Edited by Booch

I guess a lot of speculation comes from the fact Lawler hasn't reupped ...Then again he might be testing the waters to see what's out there...My thinking about Kenny ending up with Lapo is because of familiarity and they may end up offering more money (which works a lot of the time)....You mention a few negatives Booch, about him going to Ottawa...I agree with a few but sometimes money talks....Lawler obviously would like a raise and the way he played last year for us was great and he deserves one...Like to see him back, as the guy you know sometimes is the way to go....Any word on Grant and Richardson or are they going to try to test the waters

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

Big mistake by Ottawa... throwing away a QB with potential and who is healthy for a guy on a steep decline and has maybe top two seasons left in him.

If we are to believe 17to85... did they really need to sign Nichols if the gameplan revolves around 5 yard passes?  Couldn't they sign any immobile QB at a cheaper rate to dink and dunk passes?

Big time upgrade for Toronto and if they get MBT back then they'll at least have some decent CFL experience QB's who can throw the ball. 

Arbuckle's body of work is pretty small. Nichols knows LaPo's offense. Arbuckle didn't. 

58 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Eric Rogers?

15 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I guess a lot of speculation comes from the fact Lawler hasn't reupped ...Then again he might be testing the waters to see what's out there...My thinking about Kenny ending up with Lapo is because of familiarity and they may end up offering more money (which works a lot of the time)....You mention a few negatives Booch, about him going to Ottawa...I agree with a few but sometimes money talks....Lawler obviously would like a raise and the way he played last year for us was great and he deserves one...Like to see him back, as the guy you know sometimes is the way to go....Any word on Grant and Richardson or are they going to try to test the waters

I dont see any WRs running to get into that offensive scheme 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Arbuckle's body of work is pretty small. Nichols knows LaPo's offense. Arbuckle didn't. 

Eric Rogers?

At the time I said that he was still a pending freshman agent..  That's no longer the case.  

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I don't know where this Lawler to Ott comes from...Cause of lapo?...highly doubt that. Lawler wasn't used like he should have been in Lapo's "system" and being in it would be the difference from him being a 600-800 a year receiver, to a 1000+ guy in a different one...Playing in a Lapo system as a receiver is your ticket to average stats, and average earnings

Peterman loss is a non issue..potential sure, but maybe not, and he wasn't key for us in any manner, he won't unseat Woli or Demski, and we have Oleary-Orange who is cheaper, and offers more upside if you ask me

I'm hoping Lawler will sign shortly. I don't think there is big money out there for him from another CFL team.  All teams are in a cap crunch. 

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I'm afraid we will end up with 'No Names' 😁

I just feel like we've got a little bit of spending money with the contract for Bighill coming down so much.  We were in on Derel Walker last season so I think we will look at adding a receiver in free agency.  

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

TO just got a lot better in like 3 days lol.

In fairness... how many times in the last 10 years have we seen some teams make big splashes in free agency with 2 - 3 big names only for them to still fizzle out come the regular season.  

I could see if a team was really good all around and then they add a QB to fill in the missing piece.   Toronto and Ottawa were all sorts of bad all around and they'll need to to really fill out the team with solid depth players to make them contenders.