Expansion Draft - Seattle Kraken Edition

JCon

Each NHL franchise, minus the Vegas Golden Knights, will have until July 17, 2020, to submit their protection list. Then, the Kraken will have four days to examine them and finalize their selections for the 21st.

As a quick and friendly reminder:

• The protection list can either be 1) seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie or 2) eight total skaters and one goalie.
  • Players whose contracts include a no-movement clause must be protected.
  • All first and second-year players, as well as all unsigned prospects, are exempt from being drafted by the Kraken.

https://thehockeywriters.com/seattle-expansion-draft-date-details/#:~:text=According to TSN's Bob McKenzie,Or 211 days.

Capfriendly's Draft Simulator: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

So, who are the Jets going to protect? 

Here's my January 22nd preditction.

Forward: Wheeler (NMC), Connor, Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp

Defense: Morrissey, Pionk, Stanley

Goalie: Hellebuyck

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

Each NHL franchise, minus the Vegas Golden Knights, will have until July 17, 2020, to submit their protection list. Then, the Kraken will have four days to examine them and finalize their selections for the 21st.

As a quick and friendly reminder:

• The protection list can either be 1) seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie or 2) eight total skaters and one goalie.
  • Players whose contracts include a no-movement clause must be protected.
  • All first and second-year players, as well as all unsigned prospects, are exempt from being drafted by the Kraken.

https://thehockeywriters.com/seattle-expansion-draft-date-details/#:~:text=According to TSN's Bob McKenzie,Or 211 days.

Capfriendly's Draft Simulator: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

So, who are the Jets going to protect? 

Here's my January 22nd preditction.

Forward: Wheeler (NMC), Connor, Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp

Defense: Morrissey, Pionk, Stanley

Goalie: Hellebuyck

well pretty sure they won't protect Perreault, this will be a hard loss to take though. Will they protect Heinola? or Samberg?

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

well pretty sure they won't protect Perreault, this will be a hard loss to take though. Will they protect Heinola? or Samberg?

They don't need to protect Heinola or Samberg. And, they most certainly won't protect Perreault. 

In fact, I bet Chevy sends a third round pick to Seattle, so that they take him. 

Edited by JCon

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd protect Demelo over Stanley but I like that list.

I would probably too at this point but I'm thinking of end of season here and value. I think Stanley is worth more but Demelo is better right now and probably in July too. 

I don’t see Logan Stanley getting protected or taken. DeMelo just signed for 4 years, $12 million. He, Pionk and Morrissey will be protected. Roslovic may be traded if the deal too good to pass up comes along, otherwise I see him getting exposed (even without a contract, the Jets still hold his rights) and protecting Lowry and Copp. Dependant on Laine not getting traded with the media’s help or Lowry getting into a contentious contract dispute at season’s end as a UFA, if he isn’t traded because the Jets find themselves out of the playoffs and get a great deadline offer (all hypothetical, not saying they are missing the playoffs). 

1 hour ago, Jimmy from Lockport said:

Wheeler Scheif KC Ehlers Copper Harkins Apples

Lowry is an UFA amd will probably have a handshake agreement and sign with us after the draft.

JMo Poink DeMelo

Helle

Lets not forget about Dubois

15 minutes ago, bb1 said:

No need to protect Wheeler, who would shell out 6 mill a year for a 35 year old when your starting a new franchise?? No knock on Wheeler but that contract at his age? No way.

Wheeler would have to waive his no move clause, otherwise we have to protect him.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Lets not forget about Dubois

Wheeler would have to waive his no move clause, otherwise we have to protect him.

Yes i get that, its a tough choice and ultimately its up to Wheeler but its looking a lot like a rebuild here so perhaps being the face of a new franchise might entice him or his loyalty and knowing he probably won't get picked he might do it to keep a good younger player here or we are screwed as usual when it comes to current expansion...another Vegas instant contender anyone?

• 1 month later...

Stanley is developing into exactly what I'd hoped. Honestly, half the fun for me was the Jets "fans" crying about what a wasted pick he was and that he couldn't skate and would never develop. I cheered for him based on that alone, and figured he could at least be Hal Gill, if not exactly Chris Pronger. I think he'll end up somewhere in between, which is just fine with me. Love that kid.

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

Anybody change their mind on Stanley over DeMelo? 

I can't see the Jets leaving Stanley unprotected at this point.

I have to wonder if the Jets decide to sit him before his six games are up and he winds up exposed. Hard to do considering how well he's played this season and he continues to just quietly improve with each game. He's smart, physical, and plays with a nice level of sandpaper. I'm glad he's not the "bust" so many armchair GMs labelled him to be.

But yeah, if he meets the eligibility criteria there's no way the Jets leave him exposed.

I don't think many thought that Stanley was a bust it's just that many thought he didn't warrant the Jets taking him in the 1st round and wanting him to be ready for the jump a lot earlier, sometimes even a 1st needs time to show what he can do and while he will may never live up to some's expectations of being a top pairing he will be protected in the XD and he will get better in the years to come, patience rewarded for the Jets

28 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I don't think many thought that Stanley was a bust it's just that many thought he didn't warrant the Jets taking him in the 1st round and wanting him to be ready for the jump a lot earlier, sometimes even a 1st needs time to show what he can do and while he will may never live up to some's expectations of being a top pairing he will be protected in the XD and he will get better in the years to come, patience rewarded for the Jets

there was so little patience shown by Jets fans, it's almost unbelievable....and that's just around here! Never mind HFB, which is basically a lunatic asylum at times...

29 minutes ago, bustamente said:

There were a lot *A LOT* of people that have been calling him a bust since the draft. 

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there was so little patience shown by Jets fans, it's almost unbelievable....and that's just around here! Never mind HFB, which is basically a lunatic asylum at times...

For sure we get a little funky over there but most of the time there is a lot of good back and forth just not after a loss 😁

On 2021-03-25 at 11:34 AM, JCon said:

Anybody change their mind on Stanley over DeMelo? 

I can't see the Jets leaving Stanley unprotected at this point.

I would re-consider my original stance. And possibly risk exposing UFA Lowry to keep Appleton protected. Now if Lowry signed, then who of Lowry, Copp or Appleton do you expose? Factor in potential contract cost as well as ability and Appleton might hang around over Copp. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

• 3 months later...