The Retirement Thread

• 3 weeks later...

BREAKING: 

I'm announcing my retirement from hockey. I've advised my agents to no longer consider offers from any NHL teams and that, effectively immediately, I will continue to pursue other career options. I am not currently available for media inquiries and ask that everyone respect my privacy at this time. 

Please note that this includes any CFL, NFL, MLB, EPL offers as well. 

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I retired June 30th as a school bus driver. 

giphy.gif

I am....at MOST.....about 25 years away, but it feels like it's tomorrow. I'm just champing at the bit. We just realized that our mortgage is going to be up in about 10 years (I think we can do it in 9, actually) so we're starting to look at retirement properties back in Manitoba now. Once the house is off mortgage, we can start paying on the retirement place. We're debating putting money down on a lot and building something in 10 years and then spend the following 15 years paying for that, or we may just wait, build up our nest egg and then buy something existing closer to the date. Either way, it's been really exciting planning for it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to listen to Jim broadcast Canucks games for one year, while I lived on the Left Coast. Truly one of the best. 

I should add, he was the radio play by play announcer. Many nights, I stood there listening, while working the late shift at a gas station. 

Edited by JCon

On 2021-01-25 at 10:25 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

While I'm 65 & could retire now I plan to continue working while investing my CPP & OAS until I'm 71.

My left shoulder started bothering me last summer. First there was a dull ache & I thought it was just the way I slept as I always used to lay on my left side. So, I switched with my wife to the right side but it didn't help. I still woke up to a sore shoulder. The pain got progressively worse after & I've now lost about 50% function & strength in my shoulder.

I can't raise my left arm past the top of my shoulder without using my right arm to lift it higher. When I shower, it hurts like hell to wash my hair. I have to use my fingers to crawl my left arm up the wall in order to raise it. I can't put my seatbelt on if I'm in the passenger seat of my wife's car without help. I can't use my left arm to reach sideways & behind. If I have something like a drink it can't be to my left. It has to be in front or on my right so my right hand can pick it up. The pain on some days is intense. Other days not so bad so I have good & bad days. However, the good days are becoming fewer & far between. Putting on & taking off a jacket or pullover shirt is no fun as it is painful all the time doing that. As I said some days are better than others. My neck stiffens up badly.... from the pain on my left side as it runs up my arm, shoulder & into my neck. 

I had an orthopedic surgeon look at my shoulder. Took xrays & I need a total left shoulder replacement. I have arthritis in my left shoulder joint. The cartillage is all gone so it's just bone on bone. I'm having a CT SCan on Monday & I'm on the list for surgery but Alberta belongs to Jason Kenney with elective surgeries cancelled  & people dying of Covid so the wait time will be even longer than usual.

I had planned on still working for a few more years since I first posted in January here. Now, with my arthritic shoulder, I decided on June 30th to officially retire. Physically at age 66, I can't do my job anymore. Besides with Covid, I don't feel safe anyway driving students so I'm done. So glad not being in a risky position health wise. I don't miss it at all & I feel bad for my former co workers still slugging it out everyday under (I think) very risky working conditions. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My left shoulder started bothering me last summer. First there was a dull ache & I thought it was just the way I slept as I always used to lay on my left side. So, I switched with my wife to the right side but it didn't help. I still woke up to a sore shoulder. The pain got progressively worse after & I've now lost about 50% function & strength in my shoulder.

I can't raise my left arm past the top of my shoulder without using my right arm to lift it higher. When I shower, it hurts like hell to wash my hair. I have to use my fingers to crawl my left arm up the wall in order to raise it. I can't put my seatbelt on if I'm in the passenger seat of my wife's car without help. I can't use my left arm to reach sideways & behind. If I have something like a drink it can't be to my left. It has to be in front or on my right so my right hand can pick it up. The pain on some days is intense. Other days not so bad so I have good & bad days. However, the good days are becoming fewer & far between. Putting on & taking off a jacket or pullover shirt is no fun as it is painful all the time doing that. As I said some days are better than others. My neck stiffens up badly.... from the pain on my left side as it runs up my arm, shoulder & into my neck. 

I had an orthopedic surgeon look at my shoulder. Took xrays & I need a total left shoulder replacement. I have arthritis in my left shoulder joint. The cartillage is all gone so it's just bone on bone. I'm having a CT SCan on Monday & I'm on the list for surgery but Alberta belongs to Jason Kenney with elective surgeries cancelled  & people dying of Covid so the wait time will be even longer than usual.

I had planned on still working for a few more years since I first posted in January here. Now, with my arthritic shoulder, I decided on June 30th to officially retire. Physically at age 66, I can't do my job anymore. Besides with Covid, I don't feel safe anyway driving students so I'm done. So glad not being in a risky position health wise. I don't miss it at all & I feel bad for my former co workers still slugging it out everyday under (I think) very risky working conditions. 

I'm sorry you can't go out on your own terms. I hope your retirement is great and filled with family and friends. 

On 2021-09-25 at 2:03 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Having had a wife go through the pain during work and at night not being able to sleep was a nightmare for her, the surgery was a god send, rehab was tough but her life now is like night and day. Good Luck

13 hours ago, bustamente said:

Having had a wife go through the pain during work and at night not being able to sleep was a nightmare for her, the surgery was a god send, rehab was tough but her life now is like night and day. Good Luck

Thanks, appreciate it. Yes, sometimes it's hard to get to sleep. However, I found a little trick that helps me. I have to make sure I have a couple of small pillows to prop up my left arm when I sleep on my right side or.... ooooh man, waking up is no fun. The stiffness & pain that thankfully subsides to a tolerable level in a few minutes after I get up.

On 2021-09-26 at 9:08 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thanks, appreciate it. Yes, sometimes it's hard to get to sleep. However, I found a little trick that helps me. I have to make sure I have a couple of small pillows to prop up my left arm when I sleep on my right side or.... ooooh man, waking up is no fun. The stiffness & pain that thankfully subsides to a tolerable level in a few minutes after I get up.

Have you tried edibles?

2 hours ago, Jimmy from Lockport said:

Have you tried edibles?

No, I haven't.  I stay away from that stuff. Besides, I couldn't have used them anyway as I was a school bus driver. Any incident they do a drug test right away so I never tried it Not gonna change now. I appreciate the suggestion, though. Thanks. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27