The RIP 2021 Thread

tacklewasher

• 2 weeks later...

How the hell was this news kept so quiet? this should have been trending on twitter (Hatchet was a book we all had to read in School, and it led to multiple books in the series, and heck the books had two timelines one where he was rescued and the other where where he wasn't rescued before Winter)

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/14/1045981769/gary-paulsen-hatchet-author-obituary

and now I have a good idea as to why, he essentially had no social media footprint aside from a website that was run by a library

Edited by iHeart

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Not all alzheimers patients become children. My grandmother had it and while some days she was definitely being teenager ish.. she knew who we all were till the end 

My Grandfather didn't become a child,  he just became an empty shell of a person who didn't know who or where he was at all times.   He was in a home for around 10 years gradually becoming more hollow and just empty.  Super sad to see the slow deterioration. 

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

My Grandfather didn't become a child,  he just became an empty shell of a person who didn't know who or where he was at all times.   He was in a home for around 10 years gradually becoming more hollow and just empty.  Super sad to see the slow deterioration. 

My grandmother... Same thing. Was heartbreaking. 

My grandma was at Concordia nursing home for 10 15 years.  She remembered us all till the end but had no idea who my grampa was. Some days were definitely weirder than others... being hit on by 70 to 80 year Olds who are teenaged ish in their minds was strange. Looking back I feel bad cuz didn't go see her as much as I probably should have but being a teenager at the time myself... it was tough to see. Don't want to say awkward but almost. I guess heartbreaking Is the word and this was probably 20 years ago now and not as much was known then. 

Edited by Goalie