The RIP 2021 Thread

tacklewasher

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Original Spider-Man Voice Actor Paul Soles Passes Away At 90

Course he was well known for his other work especially the CBC.

Let's not forget The Wonderful Stories of Professor Kitzel & Max, The 2000 Year Old Mouse.

The Wonderful Stories of Professor Kitzel - Captain Frobisher : Fool's Gold - YouTube

Anyone know how to post Youtube videos now?  I must be doing something wrong...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

16 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Original Spider-Man Voice Actor Paul Soles Passes Away At 90

Course he was well known for his other work especially the CBC.

Let's not forget The Wonderful Stories of Professor Kitzel & Max, The 2000 Year Old Mouse.

I watched Spider Man every Saturday morning when I was a kid back in the 60's when he voiced the character. RIP Paul Soles. 

I will admit I do have memories of watching Classic Spiderman when YTV aired it(and the Fox Kids version), and then Teletoon Retro picked it up (one of the first shows back when it was a retro block(there was that, the roadrunner show, Fantastic 4(Herbie the Robot version), and Scooby Doo, then they picked up the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show), and this was like 6 years before they spun it off and made a whole Retro Channel out of it)

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Gavin MacLeod as Captain Steubing on Love Boat & Murray Slaughter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I remember him better from MTM Show where he'd cut up the hapless & narcissistic newscaster Ted Knight with merciless one liners constantly. Love Boat was always on Saturday nights in the 70's. I was in my early 20's & was always going out partying to the bars or socials so I hardly ever watched the show. Gavin Macleod was a minor cast member on the sit com McHale's Navy which aired starting in 1962 & ran to 1966 as a member of John McHale's crew. He was generally cast as a criminal, thug or bad guy & didn't get his big professional break until age 39 with TMTMS.

Pin on Nostalgia

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2021-05-30 at 10:33 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Singer BJ Thomas 

Original version of “Hooked on a Feeling”, “Raindrops Keep Falling in my Head”, and the theme from Growing Pains!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/29/entertainment/singer-bj-thomas-death/index.html

His version of Hooked On A Feeling was a great song. Blue Swede turned it into a clown show. They even ****** up the lyrics. You'd think they know the words to what they're singing.

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

His version of Hooked On A Feeling was a great song. Blue Swede turned it into a clown show. They even ****** up the lyrics. You'd think they know the words to what they're singing.

Imagine how Bruce Springsteen felt hearing Manfred Mann’s re-wording of “Blinded by the Light”. 😱

20 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Imagine how Bruce Springsteen felt hearing Manfred Mann’s re-wording of “Blinded by the Light”. 😱

When Springsteen took the money and allowed his music to be bastardized, he became a willing accomplice.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

When Springsteen took the money and allowed his music to be bastardized, he became a willing accomplice.

Actually saw him on VH1 Storytellers special talking about it. Said “So I write a song about street racing. Put in the lyric ‘Cut it up like a deuce, another runner hits the light’. Song goes nowhere on the charts. Manfred Mann comes along and sings ‘Wrapped up like a d0uche, another runner in the night’. Number 1 on the charts. Well, the people have spoken!”

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Manfred Mann used the word "deuce" just like Springsteen's version. The lyrics have been changed a bit but the actual word sounds like '******". Was that deliberate? I don't know as you'd have to ask the band. So, I don't know if it's bastardized.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Manfred Mann used the word "deuce" just like Springsteen's version. The lyrics have been changed a bit but the actual word sounds like '******". Was that deliberate? I don't know as you'd have to ask the band. So, I don't know if it's bastardized.

From what I read, they slightly altered the lyrics, but the magic D word was intended to be “deuce”. It was a production problem in recording that slurred it and made it sound like a feminine hygiene product. When the producers said it need to be changed so as not to offend, they discovered that fixing the problem for that one word messed up the rest of the track entirely. So they opted to keep it in, and some band members acknowledged that the mini-controversy likely helped get it to become as popular as it was. 

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Actually saw him on VH1 Storytellers special talking about it. Said “So I write a song about street racing. Put in the lyric ‘Cut it up like a deuce, another runner hits the light’. Song goes nowhere on the charts. Manfred Mann comes along and sings ‘Wrapped up like a d0uche, another runner in the night’. Number 1 on the charts. Well, the people have spoken!”

It's a cool song by MM. Have not heard Bruce's(should YouTube it i guess). Can imagine it sounds like Born To Run.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg