The RIP 2021 Thread

tacklewasher

Schultz’s death is gutting news to me. Always liked his approach on the TSN panel, and he was one of the originals who helped create the TSN football brand and build the Friday Night Football panel and phenomenon. Not a stretch to say that the success of that experiment went a long way to establishing the TSN CFL partnership and grew the popularity and exposure of the league in a big way. Was sorry to see him depart the airwaves, and very saddened by this news today. 

Time knows no master and we cannot halt or delay it. My mother in law died a few years ago at age 99- two months short of her 100th birthday. She often said that everyone she knew in her adult life as peers had already died, and most of her familiar community and church had changed over time where she felt almost an alien in her own world- two of her children had died also. We are not permanent residents here. We are passing through and all of the accumulated losses are meant to let us know that our days, like the days of all those who have come before and all those who will come after, are numbered. 

A novice monk asked his master which was more important- the journey or the destination. The master replied," Neither. It is who we journey with." I have come to see that it is not the length of our days that matters but the quality of those days.

May you be well and at peace.

Edited by Tracker

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Time knows no master and we cannot halt or delay it. My mother in law died a few years ago at age 99- two months short of her 100th birthday. She often said that everyone she knew in her adult life as peers had already died, and most of her familiar community and church had changed over time where she felt almost an alien in her own world- two of her children had died also. We are not permanent residents here. We are passing through and all of the accumulated losses are meant to let us know that our days, like the days of all those who have come before and all those who will come after, are numbered. 

A novice monk asked his master which was more important- the journey or the destination. The master replied," Neither. It is who we journey with." I have come to see that it is not the length of our days that matters but the quality of those days.

I'm sorry for your loss, Tracker. 

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that crew of Schultz, Dunigan and Climie with Randorf on the TSN panel will always be THE one for me. Absolutely love those guys together. Heartbreaking that he's gone this soon. Far, far too young...

Along with this opening which needs to be brought

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Thanks for that. Sometimes this list of deaths in the RIP thread comes across as just that - a list - and it is easy to overlook that each name carries with it a memory, an impact, an influence to many of us. Always important to remember the person and not just list the name.

As for a deeper understanding, this particular analysis of dealing with death and grief has always stuck with me as a pretty accurate take on things:

https://www.ofieldfuneralhome.com/grief-from-the-perspective-of-an-old-man

On 2021-03-05 at 2:04 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Thanks for that. Sometimes this list of deaths in the RIP thread comes across as just that - a list - and it is easy to overlook that each name carries with it a memory, an impact, an influence to many of us. Always important to remember the person and not just list the name.

As for a deeper understanding, this particular analysis of dealing with death and grief has always stuck with me as a pretty accurate take on things:

https://www.ofieldfuneralhome.com/grief-from-the-perspective-of-an-old-man

I used to fear dying when I was younger. As I get older & closer to my fate, I realize it is inevitable. Death is a part of life. I no longer carry any fear. I do hope I stick around for a few years yet, though. 

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

They just the one fight and it only lasted 3 rounds but man that was a legendary fight.

I saw Hearns fight an exhibition bout at he convention centre to raise money for a boxer. Ralph Racine I think.

Hearns fought Donny Lalonde. I got the hitmans autograph, his fist was wider than the pen.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I used to fear dying when I was younger. As I get older & closer to my fate, I realize it is inevitable. Death is a part of life. I no longer carry any fear. I do hope I stick around for a few years yet, though. 

Death is just a transition.  Not that big a deal.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You gotta stick around at least long enough to talk me off the ledge during any potential XFL merger..... ;)

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

I saw Hearns fight an exhibition bout at he convention centre to raise money for a boxer. Ralph Racine I think.

Hearns fought Donny Lalonde. I got the hitmans autograph, his fist was wider than the pen.

I was way too young to have seen this fight but I had heard of it.

A few years ago, Lalonde wrote about his experience and his unsuccessful chase for a legit fight with Hearns.

https://ringsidereport.com/?p=49495

10 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I was way too young to have seen this fight but I had heard of it.

A few years ago, Lalonde wrote about his experience and his unsuccessful chase for a legit fight with Hearns.

https://ringsidereport.com/?p=49495

I have a memory of the fight, I dont know if it is accurate. I remember that Hearns seemed to be treating it as an exhibition, ie, no serious punches, ( Why would he risk getting hurt at that point in his career?)

but lalonde hit him hard, at which point Hearns turned into a kind of robot, went after lalonde, you could hear a kind of sharp "whack whack whack" sound as hearns pummeled lalonde, just a few times. really hit him hard, with short shots. I guess kind of a " Stop trying to hit me" lesson. 

that's my recollection.

I was impressed that Hearns would come all that way, for racine, someone he didnt know, and that he could be bothered to give me his autograph.

I do know that his fist was massive.

Edited by Mark F