Bombers Signings

Noeller

Just now, Noeller said:

what's Alex McCallister's story? Did he go back to the States after a short stint with us? That's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing back in camp...

Was a last cut in TC, turned down a PR spot. Then was called back up when Jeffcoat went down I believe...started one game (vs Edm i think) and had a really good game too. Spent the rest of the year on the PR i believe. Re-signed already.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm optimistic about Mitchell, but I'm not ready to say he's a lock to start. He had a solid year 4 years ago. Great, but 4 years is a long time in football.

everyone tho is basically gonna be 3 years removed from playing, and it's not like he was working at Walmart, he was in NFL camps and honing his craft

Just now, Booch said:

everyone tho is basically gonna be 3 years removed from playing, and it's not like he was working at Walmart, he was in NFL camps and honing his craft

I know. Dont buy the 3 years removed though...Bailey/Lawler/Adams missed one year. Mitchell hasn't played anything significant in how long? Camps aren't games, you know that. I'm not writing him off, I'm just not inserting him into the starting line up.

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I know. Dont buy the 3 years removed though...Bailey/Lawler/Adams missed one year. Mitchell hasn't played anything significant in how long? Camps aren't games, you know that. I'm not writing him off, I'm just not inserting him into the starting line up.

Camps are't games?..gee thanks for the heads up :)

He's been involved tho in practice and training, on the PR of the Bucs and Cards, so he has been in football frame of mind and is only 28...If he is injury free and assume he is after the layoff then he is an easy 1200 yard reciever who is gonna stretch the field for us and make room for others

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

I didnt see us going after anyone in free agency, or needing to actually, but this is a nice bonus..A true big play guy, and 2 years of healing now will have him back to his peak..I like.

My only concern is DT...We have Stove who is solid as you can get, and a Rotating Jake but after that it's up in the air, unless they have a TC guy coming unbeknownst to us...There are some Draft prospects this year, but still a raw rookie isn't the answer coming out of the Canadian draft. I'm assuming Griffiths may get some snaps this year, but he isn't gonna be a game changer at this point.

I almost sense a more fluid front with one "true" DT and a lot of sets with the 2 Jeffs and one of Antigha/Hansen or possibly McCallister coming from all angles...did us well in the playoffs, and would give O-lines fits

Yup. we need more DT bodies on the roster. Most of the new guys are DE types - Antihga, McCallister, Kaloamtangi, Choudja, Alexandre, Wilcots and Kenney. 
The only DT type is Casey Sayles, I'm not sure if we still have Ezekiel Rose. 

If they are planning to rotate Thomas/Griffith-Stove on the inside, I think it's a downgrade from Thomas-Nevis/Stove that we used at DT 2019. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

Camps are't games?..gee thanks for the heads up :)

He's been involved tho in practice and training, on the PR of the Bucs and Cards, so he has been in football frame of mind and is only 28...If he is injury free and assume he is after the layoff then he is an easy 1200 yard reciever who is gonna stretch the field for us and make room for others

I really hope you're right. I've just become jaded with signing FA WR I guess lol. Saw this on twitter and it's certainly impressive

For Bryant Mitchell stats: 1 drop on 126 career targets. 77% catch rate --#1 at his depth of target. Only Brandon Zylstra is above 70% Avg. Yards after Catch: 5.6 --#2 at his depth of target. (#1 is Zylstra, #4 is Bryan Burnham)

If you are wondering if Bryant Mitchell will be a starter on our team than clearly you have forgotten how good a receiver he is. This guy is a stud possession receiver that can also stretch the field. The only way Bailey beats him out is if Mitchell comes in with a NFL hangover attitude, has forgotten how to play, or has lost a step from the Achilles injury. If he is healthy and in the right mind frame he is easily our best receiver now.

Just now, CodyT said:

Just hope he's still got that burst. I know some guys are never the same after an Achilles tear.

Consider me weirded out about the chad rempel situation. Something is off about that story.

I don't think it's weird. Rempel is pushing 40, the Bombers have a chance to solidify the LS position for the next 7 years and decide to go that route.

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm guessing since he was in NFL camps and on NFL PRs that Mitchell is recovered and ready to play.

Mitchell+Lawler+Adams+Demski+Woli is a great group on paper.

I’ll be honest I haven’t been able to keep up with a lot of the Bomber news this off season do to having to work 16 hour days 7 days a week (okay somewhat exaggerating a bit) and am pretty behind in some of the other free agency signings prior to free agency. Which guys have the club signed have some of you excited to see that may have potential of cracking the line up this year?

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

These signings are fantastic but until their is a plan in place to get these guys over the border... It's all just... Meaningless. I'd like to hear more about their plan to play games. 

You don't need a new plan? It would be the same for anyone else that is coming. Fly in, Isolate for a period of time...I suppose the real question is, who pays for it

27 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

I’ll be honest I haven’t been able to keep up with a lot of the Bomber news this off season do to having to work 16 hour days 7 days a week (okay somewhat exaggerating a bit) and am pretty behind in some of the other free agency signings prior to free agency. Which guys have the club signed have some of you excited to see that may have potential of cracking the line up this year?

The question is what spot need to crack this year. I can only see one starting spot left which is weak-side HB - that's if Alexander will stay at Safety. 
These new guys need to be better than this championship team otherwise their best case scenario is on the PR.

My uneducated attempt to put up the depth chart. 
4DFMbJ.jpg

Edited by M.O.A.B.

58 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If you are wondering if Bryant Mitchell will be a starter on our team than clearly you have forgotten how good a receiver he is. This guy is a stud possession receiver that can also stretch the field. The only way Bailey beats him out is if Mitchell comes in with a NFL hangover attitude, has forgotten how to play, or has lost a step from the Achilles injury. If he is healthy and in the right mind frame he is easily our best receiver now.

I don't think it's weird. Rempel is pushing 40, the Bombers have a chance to solidify the LS position for the next 7 years and decide to go that route.

Well yeah, of course he's going to be a starter on our team. Highly doubt they would bring him in if they didn't believe that.  I'm sure he will be good to go, but an Achilles tear is always worrisome.

My "weirdness" came from one of the reporters suggesting Walter's didn't even reach out to let rempel know ... when Walter's himself said it was up to him decide. Sounds like there was no discussion at all and that seems strange 

10 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Well yeah, of course he's going to be a starter on our team. Highly doubt they would bring him in if they didn't believe that.  I'm sure he will be good to go, but an Achilles tear is always worrisome.

My "weirdness" came from one of the reporters suggesting Walter's didn't even reach out to let rempel know ... when Walter's himself said it was up to him decide. Sounds like there was no discussion at all and that seems strange 

I'm 100% with you on the Rempel situation. I'm super freaked out about it because it looks SO BAD on us if we disrespected a veteran player like that. It's a reputation thing that the club worked so hard to fix, and would be really easy to botch again. I really hope the situation isn't as reported... 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm 100% with you on the Rempel situation. I'm super freaked out about it because it looks SO BAD on us if we disrespected a veteran player like that. It's a reputation thing that the club worked so hard to fix, and would be really easy to botch again. I really hope the situation isn't as reported... 

This 1000000%

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I cant imagine Walters would be naive to this. He's always struck me as very professional and was/is clearly cultivating a culture of respect and straightforwardness. I'd be shocked if it went down the way weve been led to believe. There must be something lost in translation here.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

You don't need a new plan? It would be the same for anyone else that is coming. Fly in, Isolate for a period of time...I suppose the real question is, who pays for it

Well, that and the fact it's the league's issue to get the logistics of a potential 2021 season sorted out. The CFL and the CFLPA are responsible for making sure this can happen.

Individual teams signing players as they should be doing during free agency is a separate issue altogether.

4 hours ago, Booch said:

When I remind myself of this, it takes me aback, especially for my son who is in grade 11 on hold with his high school football playing experience and development .

Not liking this COVID thing.