Bombers Signings

Noeller

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea...I've heard a crap load of players say they came to Winnipeg because of O'Shea and numerous others say because of how the players are treated by the organization. You'd have to have your head pretty far down the ostrich hole to be able to ignore the FACT that player recruitment in FA and player retention was in big part because of players wanting to play for O'Shea and because Wade Miller opened up the purse strings so that players felt appreciated.  Walters does a fantastic job managing the SMS and getting the finishing strokes on contracts for the numbers we need but realistically I have not every heard one player say he came here or stayed out of a deep respect for Walters. O'Shea and the organization attracts and retains them and Walters works his magic on finding good recruits and getting their names on contracts.

100% agree. Yes,money always draws interest from any player but so does a good organization and staff. An immediate example is Bighill taking a monster pay cut to stay in Winnipeg. Gotta think a part of that decision was having Coach O'SHEA on the team. Walters/Miller and OShea have seriously brought this team back to a high level of respect and brought our city exactly what we'd been missing for so many years.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't think his 2nd year will make a big difference,  I think the book on him is already known... super fast and dangerous once the ball is in his hands... it's just a matter of him making the catch is the question mark.  

It is? I don't recall his hands being much of a problem.

It takes a receiver a little while to know how to attack a defense in the CFL. Last year he was trying to use his pure speed (like you said). I'd like to see if he's spent time watching film and whether he can apply some of the smaller nuances to his game.

10 hours ago, BBlink said:

Do you think the Bombers sign Whitehead? Receivers rarely make an impact until their second year. I fear he's going to be real good for another team

I bet he will be back. 

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't think his 2nd year will make a big difference,  I think the book on him is already known... super fast and dangerous once the ball is in his hands... it's just a matter of him making the catch is the question mark.  

Same could be said of brandon banks and a bunch of burners. But also plenty of big wrs like bowman. Bowman never had a good or even average set of hands. Its easier to cover some one like Nik lewis and deny the ball then it is against a burner.  And its still pretty easy to create a lot of easy touches in an offense for a wr. 

Banks came into the league at about the same age as whitehead, and he spent 4 years as a fringe player at wr. 3 out of those 4 years he was much further behind what whitehead did last year. And considering how quickly he was relegated to running deep every time he was on the field in an offense that doesnt chuck it deep often he did well. 

Whitehead is extremely dangerous with the ball in his hands, one of the most dangerous players in the league. He may or may not take the next step and improve. If he does, he will be an all star and back in the nfl in a year or two. If he doesnt, at worst he's still the most dangerous wr threat weve had in a long long looooong time. 

50 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Dunk reporting micah Johnson could be signing with the Bombers.

That would be a very interesting move. He was a poor fit with the riders but Im not sure hes a better fit here. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Walters killing it. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Dunk reporting micah Johnson could be signing with the Bombers.

We carried 2 Amer DTs (Nevis & Richardson) in our Grey Cup year. I don't opposed to that but I prefer Sewell though.
Also we need another (8th) Cdn starter to make it work. That year we have Kongbo so we have flexibility.  

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think the biggest problem Whitehead had was lapolice trying to make him weston dressler. That's not who he is and it didn't suit him.

Hey, your wish was granted and LaPo is no longer with the team. You can stop slagging him for all the terrible things he did to this offence like bringing home a Grey Cup. 

YES! Stove was my preferred DT on the market. Would also welcome either Sewell or Johnson, but I think those two will likely be looking for decent $$. 

30 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

We carried 2 Amer DTs (Nevis & Richardson) in our Grey Cup year. I don't opposed to that but I prefer Sewell though.
Also we need another (8th) Cdn starter to make it work. That year we have Kongbo so we have flexibility.  

We still have that CND DT from the 2019 draft....I can't remember his name, but he suited up a few times last year. I believe he's a MB product as well.

26 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

YES! Stove was my preferred DT on the market. Would also welcome either Sewell or Johnson, but I think those two will likely be looking for decent $$. 

We still have that CND DT from the 2019 draft....I can't remember his name, but he suited up a few times last year. I believe he's a MB product as well.

Connor Griffith... stats said he never played a game. 

I don't think we will rotate 4 DT on a game. We rotated 4 DEs but not DTs.
So if the plan is to sign Johnson here, we will rotate 2 Richardson and Johnson and Jake Thomas (or a Cdn DT). 

Btw, we signed Nichols! A DB though. 😁

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Hey, your wish was granted and LaPo is no longer with the team. You can stop slagging him for all the terrible things he did to this offence like bringing home a Grey Cup. 

Hey it surprised the hell out of me that we pulled it off with lapo, but if the riders weren't got awful we might have pissed away the west final because of lapos passive play calling. 

The guy has flaws and I ain't gonna gloss over them. Just look at how he used Whitehead though, was pretty much exactly how dressler was used and that isn't Whitehead. 

Lapo loves guys like dressler and Harris who can do a lot with the short passes.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

here's to another year of opposing players banging their shins on the Stove!! Absolutely love that guy. Re: Micah Johnson....does he have gas left in the tank? 

If Johnson does have anything left in the tank he will be a good add.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think the biggest problem Whitehead had was lapolice trying to make him weston dressler. That's not who he is and it didn't suit him.

It was baffling on why they didn't trust him on going deep.  Banks had a lot of his success by purely out running whoever was covering him and being wide open. 

CALVER, Brandon N LB 

EXUME, Kerfalla-Emmanuel N DB

FEOLI GUDINO, Julian N WR

LATOUR, Maxime N LS

LYLES, Chris A DB

MEDLOCK, Justin A K

MILES, Thomas N LB

PETERMANN, Daniel N WR

REMPEL, Chad N LS

RUSH , John N LB

WHITEHEAD, Lucky A WR

Realistically, this is how our list could look on Tuesday morning. If it is, it's likely that they won't be returning, unless they're still pursuing NFL opportunities.

But, if Lucky doesn't sign by Tuesday, how long can Walters hold the cap space for him? Probably not long while names are getting scratched off the list. 

There were no issues with Whiteheads hands at all..I think he had maybe one bad drop...it happens...he was woefully mis-used, and then when he was used it was blatantly obvious to teams as Lapo never deviated from things or expanded his role and he got smothered...and subsequently beat to a pulp, as he was nicked games before he was replaced by Bailey and it was very obvious...If you look back, after about game 3 teams would totally converge on him and lapo basically had him sitting down and then having to beat 3-4 guys who were right on him..

he got a little over 500 yards in 15 games with next to know volume..basically under 3.5 receptions a game...give him some volume..some crossers over the middle or through the seam in flight...and look out

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

here's to another year of opposing players banging their shins on the Stove!! Absolutely love that guy. Re: Micah Johnson....does he have gas left in the tank? 

He is two years younger than Sewell. I think this coaching staff would do wonders for him. He was so good in Calgary.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

There were no issues with Whiteheads hands at all..I think he had maybe one bad drop...it happens...he was woefully mis-used, and then when he was used it was blatantly obvious to teams as Lapo never deviated from things or expanded his role and he got smothered...and subsequently beat to a pulp, as he was nicked games before he was replaced by Bailey and it was very obvious...If you look back, after about game 3 teams would totally converge on him and lapo basically had him sitting down and then having to beat 3-4 guys who were right on him..

he got a little over 500 yards in 15 games with next to know volume..basically under 3.5 receptions a game...give him some volume..some crossers over the middle or through the seam in flight...and look out

If any thing he can use route work, which should be expected given his skill set and athleticism. The guy was released from the nfl and passed over on some real BS. He is still hands down an NFL caliber player. (not a starting wr currently but on the active roster)

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

He is two years younger than Sewell. I think this coaching staff would do wonders for him. He was so good in Calgary.

Itd be a bit of a different style for our front, but a prolific inside rusher with stove/jake on the nose and the heat seeking missles on the end Ols would have nightmares. 

Exume, whitehead, petermann, miles, rush, and rempel are all guys I really hope are back. 

Honestly the last thing I want to see in FA is lucky whitehead playing against us. He just might put banks to shame if he started for an aggressive passing team. 

Also nichols is a good pick up. Hes a tremendous athlete with a lot of versatility.  The biggest knock on him coming out of college was size and polish. Hes had a good amount of nfl rep time now and is a perfect candidate for younger to shape into a gem. 

Edited by wbbfan

On 2021-02-04 at 1:41 PM, Nolby said:

100% agree. Yes,money always draws interest from any player but so does a good organization and staff. An immediate example is Bighill taking a monster pay cut to stay in Winnipeg. Gotta think a part of that decision was having Coach O'SHEA on the team. Walters/Miller and OShea have seriously brought this team back to a high level of respect and brought our city exactly what we'd been missing for so many years.

I just hope the team does right by Bighill until the day he retires. That in the future he isn't cut because he's owed a performance bonus. Especially after what he did for the team. That wouldn't have been easy financially for his family. I really hope the team & management appreciates it. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I just hope the team does right by Bighill until the day he retires. That in the future he isn't cut because he's owed a performance bonus. Especially after what he did for the team. That wouldn't have been easy financially for his family. I really hope the team & management appreciates it. 

what about the way The Trinity operates/has operated would make you think otherwise???