Bombers Signings

Noeller

7 hours ago, MurphysLaw said:

We've done a relatively good job of retaining our roster from 2020. But, apart from Ottawa, I imagine just about every team can say the same. Where do you see us adding during the FA period? I imagine we go for a DT. Maybe a DB? What do you think? What position group (or position groups) do we focus on during free agency?

None,  our only weak spot over the last 2 seasons has been QB and maybe at Safety.

Our receivers haven't had flashy numbers but I think that's more so a result of the ball not coming to them rather then them not having talent.  Lawler/Bailey were catching balls way more then whiffing on  them. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

None,  our only weak spot over the last 2 seasons has been QB and maybe at Safety.

Our receivers haven't had flashy numbers but I think that's more so a result of the ball not coming to them rather then them not having talent.  Lawler/Bailey were catching balls way more then whiffing on  them. 

100%. Maybe Wil at times as well. Actually, if we managed to get JSK back at a reasonable rate thatd be great.  Id much prefer to have him back then the guys like tobi antigha who've kicked around for a while.  Jsk was pretty good on teams too, DIing one and carrying both imp Wils wouldnt be the worst thing. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

100%. Maybe Wil at times as well. Actually, if we managed to get JSK back at a reasonable rate thatd be great.  Id much prefer to have him back then the guys like tobi antigha who've kicked around for a while.  Jsk was pretty good on teams too, DIing one and carrying both imp Wils wouldnt be the worst thing. 

I'll take Wilson over basically any other WIL in the league right now. 

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Slowly coming together for another Cup run....A couple of more signings should complete the deal....Sewell? or Richardson?.....is out there....Most likely Exume...unless Mont. is on his radar.....and maybe another receiver??  In any case I think Walters has done one helluva job....considering

I think when it comes to retention of players the GM gets too much credit. Culture, coaching, and how players are treated in general by the organization play bigger factors imo. That being said, Walters has done a great job as well.

With the real possibility of a shortened CFL season, any team that gets off to a good start will have the inside track to a Cup appearance. That said, this means that any team that manages to hold onto their core will have an advantage. So, good on the Bombers.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'll take Wilson over basically any other WIL in the league right now. 

one of the most underrated players in the league. He's insanely talented...one of the best LBs "in coverage" that I can remember. LBs is not a concern for us in 2021, I don't think...

59 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I think when it comes to retention of players the GM gets too much credit. Culture, coaching, and how players are treated in general by the organization play bigger factors imo. That being said, Walters has done a great job as well.

BUt on the flipside...the G.M here was a major part/player in creating said culture here, and the treatment of the players...He and Oshea are 100 percent the reason for the franchise turn around in terms of success, and how viewed league wide....players talk..and Winnipeg has become one of the preferred landing spots in the league now

41 minutes ago, Booch said:

BUt on the flipside...the G.M here was a major part/player in creating said culture here, and the treatment of the players...He and Oshea are 100 percent the reason for the franchise turn around in terms of success, and how viewed league wide....players talk..and Winnipeg has become one of the preferred landing spots in the league now

Wade deserves a fair bit of credit as well. He opened the puse strings in a big way and that was a huge part of it. Spending on things like charter flights, hot meals, etc.....seemingly "little things" that go a long way with players. 

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Wade deserves a fair bit of credit as well. He opened the puse strings in a big way and that was a huge part of it. Spending on things like charter flights, hot meals, etc.....seemingly "little things" that go a long way with players. 

I was gonna add that at well but forgot..was trying to multi task...Yes he was the Catalyst once he took over...it pays to have a former player in that spot as well and has a good handle on what a team, and especially the players need and want to keep them happy and comfortable, as well as looked after

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I wasn't happy with any of Walters, MOS or Miller early in 2016 but I was wrong. They have done excellent work since then and have really turned us around as a franchise

I wasn't happy with any of them when they were hired. Gotta say I was wrong about Miller and Walters. Still think that MOS is an average HC.

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I guess it depends on what y our definition of a good HC is, but in terms of pure leadership, there's nobody up there with Osh. Guys would kill themselves for him. 

Yea...I've heard a crap load of players say they came to Winnipeg because of O'Shea and numerous others say because of how the players are treated by the organization. You'd have to have your head pretty far down the ostrich hole to be able to ignore the FACT that player recruitment in FA and player retention was in big part because of players wanting to play for O'Shea and because Wade Miller opened up the purse strings so that players felt appreciated.  Walters does a fantastic job managing the SMS and getting the finishing strokes on contracts for the numbers we need but realistically I have not every heard one player say he came here or stayed out of a deep respect for Walters. O'Shea and the organization attracts and retains them and Walters works his magic on finding good recruits and getting their names on contracts.

Edited by GCn20