Bombers Signings

Noeller

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

All valid points, but giving up a Canadian centre who started 13 games “last” season to move up 4 spots in the 6th round of the draft seems pretty chintzy, unless we upgrade the pick of they sign him. 

It was move up 4 spots or nothing.... Sooooooooo... 

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

All valid points, but giving up a Canadian centre who started 13 games “last” season to move up 4 spots in the 6th round of the draft seems pretty chintzy, unless we upgrade the pick of they sign him. 

By all accounts Speller is not going to re-sign and early on there was a rumour that Argos will pursue him in FA.  I guess it's not a rumour anymore.
So, instead of losing him in free-agency why not at least getting something than nothing. Plus, Bombers has no leverage on this trade. 

Walters: Hi Pinball I want to trade you Speller I know you need a good versatile OL.  
Pinball: What do you want for him? 
Walters: I want at least a 3rd rounder. 
Pinball: No. We will just wait till he hit free-agency but thank you for asking. 
Pinball whispering: We already talked to him and we already have an agreement😁

Edited by M.O.A.B.

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

But as you said, it keeps Toronto from having other teams compete and drive up the price. So they had incentive to make the deal rather than wait. I just thought it would be worth more to get that advantage. 4 spots in the 6th round is essentially nothing IMO. 

6 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

By all accounts Speller is not going to re-sign and early on there was a rumour that Argos will pursue him in FA.  I guess it's not a rumour anymore.
So, instead of losing him in free-agency why not at least getting something than nothing. Plus, Bombers has no leverage on this trade. 

Walters: Hi Pinball I want to trade you Speller I know you need a good versatile OL.  
Pinball: What do you want for him? 
Walters: I want at least a 3rd rounder. 
Pinball: No. We will just wait till he hit free-agency but thank you for asking. 
Pinball whispering: We already talked to him and we already have an agreement😁

So if Pinball has already worked out a deal, why make this trade now, with only 4 days to the negotiation window? Clearly there was incentive to get a crack at him early. Maybe Walters could have gone to another team to start a modest bidding war. If no other interest or sense of interest, Toronto doesn’t bother with this trade. But since they saw a need to swing a deal for that extra  time to themselves, Walters had an opening to leverage something. 4 spots on the 6th round seems like a whole lot of nothing to me, especially for a starting Canadian o-lineman another team is anxious to negotiate with with no other competing interests, that’s all I am saying.

Who knows, maybe this is unspoken “future considerations” to complete the Collaros deal from last year, lol. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

9 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Pretty useless trade to my eye. That’s a swap of 6th round picks. Who was the last 6th round pick of note for any team, much less the Bombers? Maybe the pick gets upgraded if Toronto is able to sign him. 

The guy who just retired from the Stamps today, Shane Bergman. I believe he was a 6th round pick.

This is a class move by the Bombers. It frees up Speller to potentially find himself a fit before FA hits and the shiny baubles start mesmerizing the eyes of the GMs around the league.  There was little doubt we were going to be unable to keep the entire crew of NI OL around and Speller deserves a chance to play. At the same time we got him to go East instead of to a divisional rival, and some of our division rivals are hurting really bad for NI OL. 

Let's call it Roslovic-ism.

Speller won't re-sign regardless how Walters tried. He made up his mind.
He want to be a 1) starter and 2) the $ that comes with that. Nothing wrong with that he deserves it.
Walters can't promise the 1st and can't give the 2nd. 

Toronto can give both. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Cant blame a guy for moving closer to his family. It is sad/funny that we've lost two good starting young NI Cs in the past few years to go back home, though the one to retirement. 

Some thing had to give eventually with such an embarrassment of riches at NI ol. Eli is a ridiculous stud at C ni or not. 

The trade moving up 4 slots in the 6th round is beyond strange but what ever value is value i guess. 

9 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

But as you said, it keeps Toronto from having other teams compete and drive up the price. So they had incentive to make the deal rather than wait. I just thought it would be worth more to get that advantage. 4 spots in the 6th round is essentially nothing IMO. 

So if Pinball has already worked out a deal, why make this trade now, with only 4 days to the negotiation window? Clearly there was incentive to get a crack at him early. Maybe Walters could have gone to another team to start a modest bidding war. If no other interest or sense of interest, Toronto doesn’t bother with this trade. But since they saw a need to swing a deal for that extra  time to themselves, Walters had an opening to leverage something. 4 spots on the 6th round seems like a whole lot of nothing to me, especially for a starting Canadian o-lineman another team is anxious to negotiate with with no other competing interests, that’s all I am saying.

Who knows, maybe this is unspoken “future considerations” to complete the Collaros deal from last year, lol. 

There's a lot of assumptions in this post.

16 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

didnt start that many games at center, Our starter..Couture who is the better of the 2 is back, and we have 5 other Canadians on roster..3 of whom are 26, one 28 and Neuf  fighting for 2 starter spots so we good. Draft another rookie for the pipeline and theres no issue at all.

Of the 4 youngest we had, Speller was probably 4th on the totem pole..Desjarlais was already a proven really good starter in yr 1 and will only get better, especially playing beside Bryant and Eli probably has the most upside of all the 4 kids next to Gray. Gotta remember lineman take up a lot of your SMS and having too many 2nd and 3rd year contract guys can gut your roster elsewhere

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I don't really understand what sort of leverage people think that Walters had with Speller? On Sunday, he can talk to any team and it's clear he's headed back East. Walters got something for nothing. 

And thats why its the canadian mafia. walters turned nothing into some thing. 

I kinda feel like TO should give us a pick any way. We gave up our top pick in last years draft for resigning collaros for a season that didnt happen. 

On 2021-01-27 at 4:34 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Pretty useless trade to my eye. That’s a swap of 6th round picks. Who was the last 6th round pick of note for any team, much less the Bombers? Maybe the pick gets upgraded if Toronto is able to sign him. 

Shane Bergman 6th round

Sean Thomas-Erlington 8th round

Justin and Jordan Herdman-Reed 7th round

Richard Sandani 8th round

Colton Hunchak 8th round

DJ Lalama 8th round

Speller was undrafted, so moving up a couple spots in the sixth round is a good return.