Bombers Signings

Noeller

28 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He isnt a luxury item. With out harris our offense would be bottom of the league the last several years.  Finding a stud imp rb that can fill the hole harris leaves, and just coming up with another starting canadian else where is very easy to say not soo easy to do. 

That's a bit of a straw man argument. Our offence ran through Harris because he was here and Lapo knew to use him for the work horse he is. There is more than one way to generate offence and without Harris we would definitely have to change things up, but we could certainly do that if we had to do it. Our offence over the past several years has not been outstanding, it's consistently been average. It's hard to say that without Harris we would have been worse because that would assume we would have done nothing else to up our offensive production.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

all I know is, Harris deserves to retire a Bomber. I can't see Wade Miller allowing AH33 to go anywhere at this point in his career. He's basically on to his last contract...give him a 2-3 year deal that'll bring things to a proper conclusion. 

I agree with the caveat that Harris has to come in at a reasonable salary.....and by reasonable all I am implying is that he take the same level shave as Willie J, Collaros and others have taken.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

That's a bit of a straw man argument. Our offence ran through Harris because he was here and Lapo knew to use him for the work horse he is. There is more than one way to generate offence and without Harris we would definitely have to change things up, but we could certainly do that if we had to do it. Our offence over the past several years has not been outstanding, it's consistently been average. It's hard to say that without Harris we would have been worse because that would assume we would have done nothing else to up our offensive production.

No it isnt, he was a 1k yard rusher and big receiving threat out of the back field before he came to winnipeg. 

Yeah, with wr cores like we havent had in ages.

Average? the last 3 years weve been in the top 3 in scoring and been the no1 team in scoring twice. Its been our  running game that has carried an average at best passing game. Running the ball when the whole world knows you arent going to throw deep is the hardest thing to do in football. 

It really isnt hard to say that, just look at his awards shelf. Unless of course youre creating some strawman football player that would suddenly appear and turn the passing offense of the past couple years into the AC era als.  

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

No it isnt, he was a 1k yard rusher and big receiving threat out of the back field before he came to winnipeg. 

Yeah, with wr cores like we havent had in ages.

Average? the last 3 years weve been in the top 3 in scoring and been the no1 team in scoring twice. Its been our  running game that has carried an average at best passing game. Running the ball when the whole world knows you arent going to throw deep is the hardest thing to do in football. 

It really isnt hard to say that, just look at his awards shelf. Unless of course youre creating some strawman football player that would suddenly appear and turn the passing offense of the past couple years into the AC era als.  

What does his time before Winnipeg have to do with the argument. Clue...NOTHING. I totally agree he carried our offence the past several seasons but I disagree with the premise that we would not have upgraded our lineup elsewhere if we didn't have Harris. That makes the statement that we would have had no offence without him a straw man argument. In theory it is correct, but you would have to be pretty naive to think that we would not have loaded up elsewhere if we had to do so.

40 minutes ago, Booch said:

I guess u can say that about any player coming off of off season surgery...actually 9 games...and was a solidifying force once in...I guess you didn't cherry pick the 18 games in each of last 2 seasons plus playoffs eh?...if he was a backup/part timer THE COACHING staff wouldn't have put him in ahead of someone else

Also of note he kept getting injured the first few year due to being rushed back before 100 percent because we had jack squat in terms of lineman...commendable of him to even suit up and a sign of a guy playing for his boys...exactly what this team is all about

I didn't cherry pick anything. I checked with CFL.CA to see if I was miss-remembering last year. It says 6 games. IIRC he didn't start until we had injuries on the OL.

He didn't start 18 games in either of the 2 years before that, making him a backup those years.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I didn't cherry pick anything. I checked with CFL.CA to see if I was miss-remembering last year. It says 6 games. IIRC he didn't start until we had injuries on the OL.

He didn't start 18 games in either of the 2 years before that, making him a backup those years.

well from the same site..shows his games played...and regardless I go off what I know...from ,mouths of people who know more than mouths of fans...u free to your own opinions but he is the furthest thing from a backup

in regards to offence...you are a sum of the parts in the games played...take in point the 2 games Harris was suspended we rushed for 341 yards total...hardly an indication that we would suffer in the run game if he was to be missing for some reason or another

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If we didn't have Harris the receivers would look better because we wouldn't rely on the running back for the entire offense. 

Seriously Lapo always leans on his star players heavily. Why are we shocked whe  he leaned on Harris like that?

Exactly. If we do not have Harris to bear the brunt of the work who is to say we don't heavily pursue a couple stud receivers, or go for broke on a Trevor Harris etc. To say we would have no offence without him is suggesting we would stay static without him. We wouldn't have done that. That is not an effort to diminish his value to us, it was enormous, but getting 25 touches a game between pass and rush really upped his stats too. Lapo gambled that Harris could handle the load and he did, and it led to a Grey Cup but I don't believe for one second that if Harris were to leave tomorrow that we wouldn't reload. It would be fantastic to have him back at the right price but if we can't do it then we take that money and find another way to generate offence.

Edited by GCn20

5 hours ago, Booch said:

well from the same site..shows his games played...and regardless I go off what I know...from ,mouths of people who know more than mouths of fans...u free to your own opinions but he is the furthest thing from a backup

GP is games played, not games started. Backups can have 18 GP's and no starts at all. Last year Neuf had 6 GP's, which is one third of the season. I'm not sure how many starts. He didn't play until we had OL injuries. You call that the furthest thing from a backup. I disagree.

2017 and 2018 are the only 2 years in Neuf's entire 9 year career that he had 18 GP's and he wasn't the starter for all of those games. The only way I can think of to figure out how many starts he had would be to pull every game day lineup. Anyone know of a better way to find out how many starts Neuf had each year? Being as he has 3, 8, 7 and 6 GP's in 4 of those years, I'd guess he's started way less than half the available games in his career. I'd also guess that about half of the GP's in '17 and '18 were as a backup, not a starter.

For the above reasons, I'll continue to call him a part time/backup player and I'll stick with my contention that paying him 200Kish is too much, no matter how well he plays when he does start. FTR: It's not about Neuf in particular. I wouldn't pay any part time/backup 200Kish.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Bombers Fans = The dog who's been swatted on the nose too many times...

I was watching the Browns/Steelers game on Sunday and its 28-0 Browns about 12 minutes in and Collinsworth goes "And no Browns fan is comfortable right now". I totally related as a Bomber fan. The cup of course helps.

16 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

GP is games played, not games started. Backups can have 18 GP's and no starts at all. Last year Neuf had 6 GP's, which is one third of the season. I'm not sure how many starts. He didn't play until we had OL injuries. You call that the furthest thing from a backup. I disagree.

2017 and 2018 are the only 2 years in Neuf's entire 9 year career that he had 18 GP's and he wasn't the starter for all of those games. The only way I can think of to figure out how many starts he had would be to pull every game day lineup. Anyone know of a better way to find out how many starts Neuf had each year? Being as he has 3, 8, 7 and 6 GP's in 4 of those years, I'd guess he's started way less than half the available games in his career. I'd also guess that about half of the GP's in '17 and '18 were as a backup, not a starter.

For the above reasons, I'll continue to call him a part time/backup player and I'll stick with my contention that paying him 200Kish is too much, no matter how well he plays when he does start. FTR: It's not about Neuf in particular. I wouldn't pay any part time/backup 200Kish.

played as a starter in all games in 2018...2017 dressed as all, and partway through season was year I believe Bond got hurt, and couldnt get his spot back from Neuf...

yeah I guess so...but injuries in my opinion don't make a guy a back-up....when he is in he's a bonafide top level guard, and every time he was on IR his salary didn't count anyway so it's a moot point...not sure what he made last year but it wasn't 200k that much I am pretty sure...maybe 160k...and that being said..he like other starters with big paycheques will be taking a shave to stick around...and he wants to, so if we want him I am sure the numbers will work

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucky leave. He didn't complain when he didn't play in the GC but he must be looking to start fulltime. 

Not a big loss. He is not a receiver, he is a kick returner. And late in the season Bailey won the job from him.