Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3 Downs Larger Field Extra man  These are my non-negotiables and I'll treat 'em like The Alamo if necessary.  

I got a feeling that attendance will be up once we are back to normal. People have spent the last year in their houses people will want to get out and do stuff again. 

If The Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding Corp. (CEEFC) can give 310 million to Goodlife Fitness to keep their butts outta the tank, then they can surely give same type monies to The CFL ( tho it wou

41 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm not sure how that relates but my friends and some of co-workers who live in Ottawa now mainly go because it's a really fun night out.   They are far from die hard football fans.   

I had asked them about back in the day with the Renegades and I didn't realize how poor the stadium was and how terrible the owners were and what a complete crap-show it was when they had mardi gras themed events where Women were being harassed and put into really unsafe situations.      It's night and day different now from what they say.  

A good team is a big part of that experience. When the team is a 3-5 win team that atmosphere isnt nearly as good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

I got a feeling that attendance will be up once we are back to normal. People have spent the last year in their houses people will want to get out and do stuff again. 

I've been saying for awhile that we're going to see a sort of boom similar to post-WW2, where people want to go out and do stuff and spend money. I think it'll be a bit of an over-correct for awhile, but it'll certainly help the economy rebound...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Noeller said:

I've been saying for awhile that we're going to see a sort of boom similar to post-WW2, where people want to go out and do stuff and spend money. I think it'll be a bit of an over-correct for awhile, but it'll certainly help the economy rebound...

Probably my pessimistic nature but I expect the opposite. A hesitancy from those that will take lessons learned from COVID and will want to avoid crowds in general going forward, the absence of going to movies/shows/sporting events causing people to say "I was fine without it, maybe I can save my money", etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Probably my pessimistic nature but I expect the opposite. A hesitancy from those that will take lessons learned from COVID and will want to avoid crowds in general going forward, the absence of going to movies/shows/sporting events causing people to say "I was fine without it, maybe I can save my money", etc.

I'm one of those people, but I truly feel I'm in a very small minority. The vast majority are going to be out in droves...

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm one of those people, but I truly feel I'm in a very small minority. The vast majority are going to be out in droves...

As evidenced by the sheer number of people who seem to ignore the guidelines, I would agree with this.  There is a pent up desire among a lot of people to get out and socialize, so I expect that as things continue to open up, most people will be out and about more and more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JCon said:

It's shame that the Bombers lost all that momentum from winning the Grey Cup. We were looking and big bump in attendance and earnings and now the CFL is hoping The Rock can save the league. 

Yeah but the chickens came home to roost because of the pandemic. Hopefully in the longer term it turns out to be a blessing. Things change economically. That's all we can really hope for, right? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah but the chickens came home to roost because of the pandemic. Hopefully in the longer term it turns out to be a blessing. Things change economically. That's all we can really hope for, right? 

Totally. It's just that the Canadian Mafia works through tons of adversity and doubt, wins it all and doesn't get it's victory lap. It's not about the victory lap but they earned it. The earned the right to be smug and reap the benefits. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-03-12 at 12:42 PM, Noeller said:

I've been saying for awhile that we're going to see a sort of boom similar to post-WW2, where people want to go out and do stuff and spend money. I think it'll be a bit of an over-correct for awhile, but it'll certainly help the economy rebound...

Buy Westjet stock.... Gonna take off.    tenor.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-03-12 at 5:33 AM, Brandon said:

Going off my point in the other thread...  I wonder how many free agents would of signed in Winnipeg in the last few years if they had the option of staying closer to home and living year round in a nicer climate in areas with a much more lively night life.   

 

I feel like we've just missed out on a few big FA swings. But if we had say the BC weather and night life, itd be much harder to have the blue collar, live and bleed football, team first celebrate tonight and back to work tomorrow attitude. Every player on the 2020 roster was a guy you could go to war with. Every one was going to be ready to do their best on game day.  No planning the post game party on the side lines stuff.  No other team in the league had that. 

 The university of florida is where football players go to party. Alabama under Bear Bryant was where football players went to win. Its kind of like a litmus test, the guys who chose better night lifes, and weather,  or slightly more money to play for other teams probably werent the right guys for us any way. Fifo. 

Its driven plenty of fans (like me) crazy, that we've stuck to vets with better guys on the bench or pr. Or not grabbed cfl cuts that would be an immediate upgrade for us. And its sure as hell worked for us. 

I think it also becomes much easier to maintain a winning franchise when you got there with work ethic and discipline than when you get there with divisive talent, low character and an egomaniac like chris jones running the show. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like we've just missed out on a few big FA swings. But if we had say the BC weather and night life, itd be much harder to have the blue collar, live and bleed football, team first celebrate tonight and back to work tomorrow attitude. Every player on the 2020 roster was a guy you could go to war with. Every one was going to be ready to do their best on game day.  No planning the post game party on the side lines stuff.  No other team in the league had that. 

 The university of florida is where football players go to party. Alabama under Bear Bryant was where football players went to win. Its kind of like a litmus test, the guys who chose better night lifes, and weather,  or slightly more money to play for other teams probably werent the right guys for us any way. Fifo. 

Its driven plenty of fans (like me) crazy, that we've stuck to vets with better guys on the bench or pr. Or not grabbed cfl cuts that would be an immediate upgrade for us. And its sure as hell worked for us. 

I think it also becomes much easier to maintain a winning franchise when you got there with work ethic and discipline than when you get there with divisive talent, low character and an egomaniac like chris jones running the show. 

I just think guys like Willie Jefferson would be way more likely to sign closer to home then Winnipeg.  Being a family man myself I'd rather my family be only a few hour drive or cheap plane flight away then going to visit a different country.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brandon said:

I just think guys like Willie Jefferson would be way more likely to sign closer to home then Winnipeg.  Being a family man myself I'd rather my family be only a few hour drive or cheap plane flight away then going to visit a different country.  

For sure. Of all the local impacts I think thats the biggest one.  I think that would make it very hard for any cfl team to sign FAs vs american linked merged w/e teams.  Not to mention taxes. 

I dont think its a big impact with a canadian cfl. But in a merged with us teams/league world it would be far more difficult. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigblue204 said:

How so?

Its widely known the govt refused the request of the cfl for an interest free loan last year, despite the fact they have straight up given other companies money. 

The CFL XFL talks has brought up a lot of negative reactions and fear of the lose of our game.  I havent seen the Canadian Football Act attempt mentioned this much in my life time, even when talk of it possibly being brought in again in the early 2ks was going on. 

It puts the liberal gov't in a position where they are throwing money at every thing and every one, except for the cfl to the point we risk losing it.  So the feds and Trudeau can be the hero and give the interest free loan, or they can be the gov't in charge that spent money wildly but let the cfl go hungry. 

 

Just a tinfoil hat musing. I feel like this whole XFL talks thing has been soo murky and  odd, it doesnt come off like a serious attempt at some thing between the xfl and cfl at all.  If it was legit you would meet un announced, have preliminary talks and when you announce that you are in talks you have some thing of substance to announce from both ends.  Thats how you build social momentum. You say youve had preliminary talks are considering a partnership, give a date when the next meeting will be and people get excited. When youre murky and seemingly poorly organized (announcing a meeting before any thing happens) it creates panic.  

Just now, 17to85 said:

I'd they wanted money from the Feds they should have just changed their name to Bombardier.

QFT

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I wonder if the whole xfl thing is an attempt to get what they want from the feds. 

This has crossed my mind a couple times. The outrage across the country acting as some sort of "see how much people care about us???" motivation. Definitely crossed my mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt the Feds are going to save our CFL. They would have given us money early on if they were going to. The XFL talks are about getting the needed funding from the Rock and his group. Without funding, the CFL will likely die.

I get that us CFL fans want the game to remain the same, but the XFL isn't going to give the CFL many concessions, if they bring the money, they make the rules. The CFL will be negotiating about what they are allowed to keep from the Canadian game, not about what the XFL will have to change in their rules. Americans always believe there way is the right way and the XFL will be no exception. They're going to want 4 downs, 11 men, US sized fields, etc. They know that's the way to interest the American fan and there are 10 times as many of them as there are CFL fans. Without enough of those fans on board, the XFL/CFL merger will die no matter how much money the owners have. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am bewildered as to how and why the Libs would not give money to the CFL. 

1. They are asking for a loan not a handout, and not a particularly big one by federal money standards

2. The CFL is huge in western Canada, and is well liked in Ontario and Quebec so Liberal support of it could not possibly hurt them in an area they have to be desperate to try get some support in to form a majority. No chance the Cons even criticize such a move by the Liberals because their Western base would not like that. 

3, The Liberals love to throw cash around, I am sure they have a 40 million dollar itch somewhere in their magic unlimited spending well that they so often rely on.

4. The Liberals want an election. No chance a Canadian institution dies just prior to them pulling the trigger on one.

I fully expect that the Feds will be helping the CFL this season. It just does not make sense for them politically not to do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...