2021 Season

Jpan85

Just now, wbbfan said:

One great point is will the front office and coaching staff face the 20% cut as well. If thats the case im 100% on board. If not its some BS. 

As Dave Naylor pointed out this morning -- front office staff already took the 20% cut during the pause, and continue to do so.....

Just now, Noeller said:

As Dave Naylor pointed out this morning -- front office staff already took the 20% cut during the pause, and continue to do so.....

In that case i dont see a problem. Every CBA negotiation PA's talk about wanting a partnership and to have their stake scale with growth. In times like these the hair cut should be across the board as well. 

Im sure not all players would get that 20% back when fans came back, some would be cut etc. But 20% is not a big cut for a short term loss to prevent missing a whole other season of football and salaries. 

I also feel like in our stadium we could socially distance 10k people. Leaving would be a bit of an issue, but if you taper exits and have people guided through to different exits I think it could work OK.  I know plenty of people who would pay a premium even to bein the 10k (my self included) 

Edited by wbbfan

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

They've been paid the entire time, though, and the players have not. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

One great point is will the front office and coaching staff face the 20% cut as well. If thats the case im 100% on board. If not its some BS. 

It's been well documented that most coaches already have taken a cut.  The focus, from player responses I've seen, seems to be more on if GM's and Team Presidents are going to take a cut as well.

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It's been well documented that most coaches already have taken a cut.  The focus, from player responses I've seen, seems to be more on if GM's and Team Presidents are going to take a cut as well.

Even with a 20% pay cut how is that going to hurt John Hufnagel? Or Wade Miller? Or Scott Mitchell. They're making in excess of $400-600,000 a year. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Even with a 20% pay cut how is that going to hurt John Hufnagel? Or Wade Miller? Or Scott Mitchell. They're making in excess of $400-600,000 a year. 

It shouldn't, which is why those guys are or at least should be the focus for the players.  

Executives don't fall under the football ops salary cap so unless they also volunteer to take a paycut, I think this proposal is D.O.A.

53 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It shouldn't, which is why those guys are or at least should be the focus for the players.  

Executives don't fall under the football ops salary cap so unless they also volunteer to take a paycut, I think this proposal is D.O.A.

Wish I could volunteer & get paid $600 grand.

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

In that case i dont see a problem. Every CBA negotiation PA's talk about wanting a partnership and to have their stake scale with growth. In times like these the hair cut should be across the board as well. 

Im sure not all players would get that 20% back when fans came back, some would be cut etc. But 20% is not a big cut for a short term loss to prevent missing a whole other season of football and salaries. 

I also feel like in our stadium we could socially distance 10k people. Leaving would be a bit of an issue, but if you taper exits and have people guided through to different exits I think it could work OK.  I know plenty of people who would pay a premium even to bein the 10k (my self included) 

Leaving should be fine as long as people don't linger. 

This is a little off topic but I'm watching an AFL game from Australia this morning on tape they are playing in the MCG which is massive, crowd size is a little over 50K and when they pan the crowd no one is wearing masks, Australia has done a great job with this virus. My take away, it may take a while but we will be back in Arena's and Stadium's watching our favourite teams but we need patience, first step for the CFL is get the league restarted by any means possible if that means distanced fans at the beginning so be it eventually the parks will fill up again except in Toronto where they can socially distance all year long. Players has 2 choices they can play or retire but the league must continue and make plans to become stronger and more economically viable , in the end everyone will benefit and that includes the players

12 minutes ago, bustamente said:

This is a little off topic but I'm watching an AFL game from Australia this morning on tape they are playing in the MCG which is massive, crowd size is a little over 50K and when they pan the crowd no one is wearing masks, Australia has done a great job with this virus. My take away, it may take a while but we will be back in Arena's and Stadium's watching our favourite teams but we need patience, first step for the CFL is get the league restarted by any means possible if that means distanced fans at the beginning so be it eventually the parks will fill up again except in Toronto where they can socially distance all year long. Players has 2 choices they can play or retire but the league must continue and make plans to become stronger and more economically viable , in the end everyone will benefit and that includes the players

They're back because the they've virtually eradicated the virus there. They don't put up with the anti-everything whiners. Same for New Zealand. 

We need vaccines in arms and evidence that it's working to kill off the virus. Unfortunately, we're not going to see that until fall. Might be too late for full stadiums this year. 

Hopefully, we can do a social distance Argo model, with few people in the stands this summer. But, nothing like we're seeing in Australia and New Zealand. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

in fairness, both those countries are relatively small islands.... it's easier to prevent spread/eliminate the virus....... which is not to take away from the progressive nature of both countries, which did a remarkable job.

Right, but there are significant similarities between Australia and Canada. Everything they've done, could have been done here. 

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Except their country doesn't border with a seemingly insane country...

This is a valid point. And the crucial element is the fact that some of that insanity bleeds into our country and poisons a fair share of people.

I'm still envious as hell of Australia, anyway. That country is a shining example of how to handle a crisis like this one. New Zealand, too.

34 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Except their country doesn't border with a seemingly insane country...

Your blaming the Cov-idiots in the US for Canada's response? Nope, this one is all on our own politicians.

I'm sure our Dr's and scientists told our government the same things that New Zealand and Australia's governments were told. Their reaction was significantly different and so are the results.

37 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Your blaming the Cov-idiots in the US for Canada's response? Nope, this one is all on our own politicians.

I'm sure our Dr's and scientists told our government the same things that New Zealand and Australia's governments were told. Their reaction was significantly different and so are the results.

Well it doesn't help that we have an open border with them. Even with the "closure" of the border. So yes it does make some difference. 

The influence politically and socially that the US has should not be diminished either. You can find proud Trump supporters in Canada. That poisons the ability to be our own country with our own response. 

Unrelated I will also say that vaccines are not likely to eradicate the disease... what they will do is prevent people from dying or getting extremely sick, and make it more like colds and flus we already deal with.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

?? I'm not blaming our response on them. I'm saying we can't be like Australia or NZ due to the fact that we aren't an island. And unfortunately our southern neighbor is bat **** crazy. So while ultimately our response is our responsibility. It's inevitable that some of that **** will flow over to us.

Australia and New Zealand have a couple of structural advantages. Firstly, less than 5% of the care facilities are privately owned, but are expected to adhere to the strict staffing ratios of the government facilities, but the government facilities have only one resident per room and staff in these places are not allowed to work in more than one facility. These governments also clamped down early and hard and brooked no resistance. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Well it doesn't help that we have an open border with them. Even with the "closure" of the border. So yes it does make some difference. 

The influence politically and socially that the US has should not be diminished either. You can find proud Trump supporters in Canada. That poisons the ability to be our own country with our own response.

Unrelated I will also say that vaccines are not likely to eradicate the disease... what they will do is prevent people from dying or getting extremely sick, and make it more like colds and flus we already deal with.

Sure you can find Trump-idots in Canada, but they aren't the ones who are making policy. Just watching the US response under Trump should have shown us that it wasn't working. We are a different country. We don't have to follow their lead. In fact it's better if we don't.

I agree that Vaccines likely won't eradicate the disease because it will keep mutating and because some folks won't get the vaccine. People's stupidity is always baffling to me.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Sure you can find Trump-idots in Canada, but they aren't the ones who are making policy. Just watching the US response under Trump should have shown us that it wasn't working. We are a different country. We don't have to follow their lead. In fact it's better if we don't.

So, when exactly did Canada emulate U.S. Covid policy? When did we follow their lead?