2021 Season

Jpan85

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am bewildered as to how and why the Libs would not give money to the CFL. 

1. They are asking for a loan not a handout, and not a particularly big one by federal money standards

2. The CFL is huge in western Canada, and is well liked in Ontario and Quebec so Liberal support of it could not possibly hurt them in an area they have to be desperate to try get some support in to form a majority. No chance the Cons even criticize such a move by the Liberals because their Western base would not like that. 

3, The Liberals love to throw cash around, I am sure they have a 40 million dollar itch somewhere in their magic unlimited spending well that they so often rely on.

4. The Liberals want an election. No chance a Canadian institution dies just prior to them pulling the trigger on one.

I fully expect that the Feds will be helping the CFL this season. It just does not make sense for them politically not to do it.

We don't know that they won't give them money. They said last time to come back with a plan. 

I expect the Feds to find some money for them but they need to have a plan. That should be much easier this year. 

Loans become handouts when those who receive them can't or won't pay them back. Assuming that the CFL is in financial trouble, which is a good assumption IMO, they won't pay the loan back and it will eventually be 'forgiven' because the Feds don't want to be a reason that the CFL goes under.

Most folks vote the party, not based on any specific policy. Even if a CFL loan is popular, it in itself, won't be enough to flip peoples votes to Liberal, which means it's not that big a deal to the Liberals. Most Federal elections are already decided by the time they make it to the Manitoba/Saskatchewan boarder anyway.

The CFL was told to include the CFLPA and come back with a plan. I thought they already did that a few months back.

I remain unconvinced that the Liberals will bail out the CFL.

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Loans become handouts when those who receive them can't or won't pay them back. Assuming that the CFL is in financial trouble, which is a good assumption IMO, they won't pay the loan back and it will eventually be 'forgiven' because the Feds don't want to be a reason that the CFL goes under.

Most folks vote the party, not based on any specific policy. Even if a CFL loan is popular, it in itself, won't be enough to flip peoples votes to Liberal, which means it's not that big a deal to the Liberals. Most Federal elections are already decided by the time they make it to the Manitoba/Saskatchewan boarder anyway.

The CFL was told to include the CFLPA and come back with a plan. I thought they already did that a few months back.

I remain unconvinced that the Liberals will bail out the CFL.

I doubt if they will as well. I think capitalization will be from the Redbird Group. 

so something called the United Football Players Association took to Twitter to say that they've been told the CFL is planning on scrapping the 2021 and 2022 seasons, and would come back as part of some joint entity with XFL after that. Immediately, CFL "insiders" (Lalji, Naylor, etc...) refuted it and said it went completely against everything they've heard. The CFL then released a statement: 

Edited by Noeller

41 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Justin "Click Bait" Dunk.

Idk how any one can look at the riders and see any thing coming other than a step back. But it seems the same people who think the riders will win the west and have the best offense in the league think the argos will be good too. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Once again ... betting odds does not mean % of chance of a team winning.   It's more about how much money is being place on (in this case a team) over others.     

Thats true, but the off season hype train for the riders from 3d and cfl.ca etc has been sickening.  Stuff like this

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/03/15/mmqb-way-early-positional-bests/

Just how much do the 'Riders suck?

The longest period of time a single team has been Grey Cup Champions is 1841 days,, this was the 1915 Hamilton Ti-Cats. They won it on November 20, 1915, and the trophy wasn't rewarded again until December 4, 1920 due to WW1 and the global flu pandemic at the time.

By comparison, in their entire existence, the Roughriders have been champs for only 1470 days (1966 - 371 days , 1989 - 364 days, 2007 - 364 days and 2013 - 371 days

TLDR; A lot.

Could we see mass player retirements because of this new CFL announcement? 

F***  Ambroise.

I avoided this discussion board since the CFL/XFL new surfaced. Makes me depress to think the CFL is slowly dying. 
Oh well, back to the NHL Jets board.

Edited by M.O.A.B.