2021 Season

Jpan85

What is actually happening here? Talk about becoming XFL north? Merging with a league that has been a giant failure every time it has been attempted? And prominent media types in Canada saying this is a good idea?

What the actual ****?

The second the Bombers become a 4-down partner to a garbage second tier American league is the second they stop being the team I grew to love my whole life. I would be 100% out.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Okay, if I'm taking Randy at his word, which is hard, it sounds like they're simply looking for synergies on how the leagues can work together.

But, geez, they're terrible at communication. Like world-class, really bad. 

The XFL saying their 2022 season is on hold pending the results of these talks means Ambrosie is full of ****.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

If it's just a partnership to for cross-promotion and to give the players more opportunities, then I'm all for it. 

If it's the end of 3 down football, I will be devastated. 

I've already been in a back-and-forth with an Argo fan (not Bluto, the other Argo fan) who says he doesn't care. So, maybe there is a population out there that does not care and will watch 4 down football in Canada. 

• 3 Downs
  • Larger Field
  • Extra man 

These are my non-negotiables and I'll treat 'em like The Alamo if necessary.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

We used to have bigger balls too. 

Those bigger balls are the reason why friends think my hands suck. As a kid that was the only ball we ever used and I learned to throw and catch with that fat sucker. Then these jerks show up with this skinny little ball and i gotta relearn how to everything.

22 hours ago, bluto said:

We're 2 years removed from a trainwreck of a 4-14 season with almost no holdovers from it.

I think it's fair to say that nobody has a clue what the Argos actually are.

The Argos have two significant assets: they are owned by Maple Leaf Sports Enterprises and they have a good coach.  

Maybe I'm out of the loop and correct me if I'm wrong...... but we still have not heard an official Plan A / Plan B for this season on how the league will go forward and whether they need federal support?

However Ambrosie does have the time and made sure to prioritize to the public that they are looking at the XFL?    

Does this guy have any clue?  Is he so clueless that he would get things backwards and tell the public what they would not want to hear and hold back telling any sort of news that would give the fans any sort of hope?  

Hopefully I don't get banned but Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu***********************************************************************kkkkkkkkkk Ambrosie.   

Also if the XFL failed with Vince McMahon who has way more money then the Rock and way better connections in the tv world....  how would XFL 2.0 help the CFL out?   I don't see anything the XFL can do to help out the CFL outside of dumping in a cash infusion.    The XFL brand is worthless and as everyone already pointed out their is no way they could keep the game the same  (field size , Canadian players)  and I don't see how adding American teams will help increase viewership and or fan attendance for live games.   

So Ambrosie wants to chat with them to share ideas?  What could the XFL which lasted one failed season offer as positive ideas to a league that is been around so long like the CFL?   It's not like the Rock will be appearing at the games dropping promos, he and his exwife are rich because he a roided up charismatic actor... not a financial or sports marketing genius.   XFL of course will fluff this up because they have everything to gain while CFL has really nothing unless the Americans drop cold hard cash.    

Just a terrible all around idea and extremely bad timing for Ambrosie to bring this up.   Get your **** in order and figure out how you will get money to get this season going before pissing off the fan base.  

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Those bigger balls are the reason why friends think my hands suck. As a kid that was the only ball we ever used and I learned to throw and catch with that fat sucker. Then these jerks show up with this skinny little ball and i gotta relearn how to everything.

Yaaaaaaaa.... That's what it was...... 

28 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Also if the XFL failed with Vince McMahon who has way more money then the Rock and way better connections in the tv world...

I don't know that that's true at all. The Rock is the highest paid actor and overall one of the biggest stars on the planet right now. WAY bigger than Vince ever was on a mainstream level. I mean, the Rock has conquered Hollywood completely. And I'm not altogether certain that Vince has more money either... I'd like to see the books on that. 

At first blush, this looks like a bad idea. A real bad idea. I am not confident that Ambrosie can pull this off successfully without screwing up most of what CFL fans enjoy.

But, I will also say that it still has potential. The XFL last year tried to do a lot of fan-friendly things.  Some worked, some didn't. You had live mics and a whole bunch of interviews, for example, and there are plenty of folks who would strongly argue those were good or bad. I would like to see the CFL maintain its unique CFL rules, but I am also not against exploring some rule changes that may make the game more exciting.  Mostly XP and kick/punt returns.  

I will also say that Ambrosie will likely - and perhaps rightfully - painted as the bad guy here, but I'm not sure there's a whole heck of a lot he can do about it. The pandemic has blown up their business model and full season this year remains unlikely in my opinion. The choices are to find a way to survive with potential new revenue sources, or call it quits.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

The Argos have two significant assets: they are owned by Maple Leaf Sports Enterprises and they have a good coach.  

1) MLS&E has yet to show even a quantum of the commitment to being successful on a CFL field that they have in any of their other properties. I seriously doubt that if I strolled thru their offices that I'd see any indication of their even owning the world's oldest pro football franchise.

2)I hope you're right. But most new Head Coaches have a successful pedigree at the coordinator level first. Desperately hoping this won't be a harsh lesson about The Peter Principle.

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Okay, if I'm taking Randy at his word, which is hard, it sounds like they're simply looking for synergies on how the leagues can work together.

But, geez, they're terrible at communication. Like world-class, really bad. 

How can anyone trust Ambrosie? He hasn't earned any trust. The guy is a disaster as a Commissioner.