2021 Season

Jpan85

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If that's the case, so are my season tickets.

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

So is my interest in the league in general

i make no bones about it, if I wanted to watch the best football players in the world I’d watch the NFL.

a Canadian NFL rules league offers me nothing 

Did you both quit the CFL during the last US expansion? Legit question, not being snarky. I don’t like the thought of it at all, but it won’t stop me from going to games. I wonder if you truly mean it when you say you will stop going? The league is betting on “no”, and may have the last go-round as proof that fans will still come.

But let’s just see what the plan is before losing our minds.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wildly disagree with Gary that it's necessary to kill our game in order to somehow "save" it.....

Well that's just it. You don't save something you kill. If the CFL is 4 downs...it's not the CFL.

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Did you both quit the CFL during the last US expansion? Legit question, not being snarky. I don’t like the thought of it at all, but it won’t stop me from going to games. I wonder if you truly mean it when you say you will stop going? The league is betting on “no”, and may have the last go-round as proof that games will still come.

Difference is, the last CFL (Emphasis on CFL) expansion I was a child. So no. IF (obviously big if at this point) this is the end of 3 down football I will stop my season tickets. I'm not going to pay what I pay now for a game I'm not going to enjoy watching. That doesn't mean I won't take in a game here or there, but I will not be a season ticket holder.

Just spitballing randomness....... but I'd love to see (not saying feasible, just saying I'd love to see) some teams pull out of any merger and start their own independent league that is obviously much smaller, but maintains the CFL as we know it. Maybe the CFL goes back to the VERY beginning....... and restarts from scratch. I'd be interested in that...

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Did you both quit the CFL during the last US expansion? Legit question, not being snarky. I don’t like the thought of it at all, but it won’t stop me from going to games. I wonder if you truly mean it when you say you will stop going? The league is betting on “no”, and may have the last go-round as proof that fans will still come.

I won’t be a fan of it if we merge with the XFL, but I’ll give it a chance if we keep the rules that make our league what it is.

People can talk about how “the CFL needs this to survive” all they want, we are literally talking about a potential merge with a league that hasn’t proven **** all to this point. If they want our help, we need something out of it too and that something should be our rules. Field size, three downs, 12 men and I’d give it a shot.

Four down 11 man football? I don’t give a **** if the Bombers are playing in my backyard, I’ll watch the NFL instead. That’s not the CFL to me.

I'm all for exploring ways to expand the CFL market to help it survive, which is why I'm a fan of the global players etc. But like others have said, the XFL is a failed product 2 times over. They have some power behind it now with The Rock. But honestly I don't see him being any different then Vince was. I don't believe the problem is the product (though that was an issue) it's that there is no interest in another pro league in america. The bodies of multi failed leagues prove it.

Who knows what rules might be implemented? Could be like last time with CFL rules still in play. Big concern is that the XFL has failed multiple times, so not the best stability as a partner. And maybe the people at play realize that Americans who want 4 down football will watch the NFL and nothing else (how many failed spring US leagues do they need to hammer home that point?), so it could stay at 3 downs and Canadian rules. The big problem will be like last time where the US labour laws will not allow for guaranteed Canadian jobs in the US markets. So there again will be an unfair playing field where American teams get to field full American rosters and will have better back-up talent than a Canadian team forced to field Canadian ratios, unless they do away with that requirement. But again, lots of speculation and very few facts at this point. 
I will just add that the last time this happened it was because the league was going to die for certain if not for the influx of US cash, so the optics would suggest that the CFL may be bleeding to death again because of the pandemic and this is a Hail Mary last resort. Hope that is not the case but wouldn’t be surprised. 

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I need to see details but my initial feeling is

tenor.gif

I agree with Clint........There's no way we proceed UNLESS that league changes it's format to 3 down...Americans are always saying how much more exciting the CFL is and it's because of our rules...Field size is another concern...they have to get bigger...There's so much change that would have to happen and basically it would have to amount to CFL 2 down there, because I don't see it working any other way....It won't work any other way in this country...BIG bridges to cross....but interesting nonetheless

Edited by Stickem

Naylor thinks they could possibly scrap the 2021 season and start building toward whatever this new merged entity would look like in 2022..... siiiiigh. We joked that the Bombers winning a GC would be the end of the world...... but it was just a joke. I thought. 

Dear Fellow Tiger-Cats Fan,

I’m excited to see you at Tim Hortons Field this summer, as it’s been far too long since we were able to gather over a Molson beer or a Coke to cheer on our beloved Tiger-Cats.

The first round is on me! Just come and find me at the Coors Banquet Bar on the lower east mezzanine on opening night and we can kick off the start of the 2021 CFL season together.

While we can toast the start of the 2021 season together, we will be celebrating in style at the 108th Grey Cup when Tim Hortons Field and Hamilton host our fellow Canadians and football fans for what will truly be a historic event. The whole 2021 season promises to be one of the most memorable in Tiger-Cats history. Not only will emotions run high when we gather for the first occasion since the pandemic, we will also be welcoming the reigning East Division Champions back to the field for the first time since November of 2019. The season itself is one we can all look forward to, as we’ve maintained our outstanding coaching staff and the vast majority of our very talented roster with some exciting additions to boot. We will be in the hunt for that elusive Grey Cup victory, and did I mention we will be hosting Grey Cup this year? It certainly promises to be a great season to be a Tiger-Cat fan!

While you may have read some news today from the CFL office (click here to read), rest assured that our singular focus at the Tiger-Cats right now is getting back on the field in 2021 and putting on the best Grey Cup in CFL history. Our commitment to you is that we will accomplish both.

As most of you know by now, we have been playing football in Hamilton for over 150 years. While a lot can change over that time, one thing that will never change is the support from our great fans. It’s you that have kept this team going through war, economic crisis and now a global pandemic.

As you’ve heard me say more than once: I’m just the caretaker of your Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The goal I share with all of you is to ensure Hamilton Tiger-Cat football is played in Hamilton for another 150 years, starting with watching Speedy B run circles around the opposition again this summer.

Oskee Wee Wee,

Cheers, Bob

BobSig.gif

Bob Young
Caretaker, Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club

Edited by JCon

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm curious who's going to have a bigger heart attack....Iso or Bob Birving...

I posted a question, I think it was around Xmas wondering if the XFL & CFL would form a new league. Everybody who responded pooh poohed it. Well, now... There are a number of issues here that make it hard to see this working.  

1. The season. You can't play football in the Prairie Provinces in February & March so would the XFL be willing to move the season to May to October?

2. Where would XFL teams play as some were using NFL stadiums.

3. Exchange rate. Canadian teams are in the hole financially a minimum of 30%....

4. US Immigration. Canadians weren't allowed to play on American CFL teams because it took away American jobs. I doubt thbat's changed. To compensate, rosters on CFL teams would have to drastically cut Canadian players & replace them with Americans. The good ones will make it. The borderline Canadians will all be gone.

5. Travel in the US will cost  Canadian teams a fortune because of the exchange rate.

6. What rules would they use? American 4 down or Canadian 3 down. A mixture of both??? Field size?? Which one??

7. Borders remain closed between our two countries & quarantining has to be done.

8. Why?

So, to answer Noeller's question. No, my head did not explode but I don't think this "merger", if that is what it is can be done. 

28 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

One thing to remember The Rock has a history with the league. He still to this day has Wally Buono as someone who had a big impact on his life even though he was in Calgary for only a few weeks.  

Yeah, he got cut. This is just his long game to get revenge and destroy the league that spurned him!

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If it means growing the sport itself, fine. But that's it.

No four down football in Canada. No merger or expansion into the US. None of that shite.

Keep Canadian football ******* Canadian.

If it's just a partnership to for cross-promotion and to give the players more opportunities, then I'm all for it. 

If it's the end of 3 down football, I will be devastated. 

I've already been in a back-and-forth with an Argo fan (not Bluto, the other Argo fan) who says he doesn't care. So, maybe there is a population out there that does not care and will watch 4 down football in Canada. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

If it's just a partnership to for cross-promotion and to give the players more opportunities, then I'm all for it. 

If it's the end of 3 down football, I will be devastated. 

I've already been in a back-and-forth with an Argo fan (not Bluto, the other Argo fan) who says he doesn't care. So, maybe there is a population out there that does not care and will watch 4 down football in Canada. 

That population wouldn't be in T.O. would it.....shocking....A lot of wannabe's there...