2021 Season

Jpan85

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah except the CFL thus far is underselling and underproducing.

Compare the CFL to every other pro sports league in North America. It is disgraceful.

The NHL announced its 2021 season 3 weeks before puck drop. The NBA announced its season start a while 6 weeks before opening tip-off. MLS is ready to start its season (6 weeks before its first games) but says it is still working out how to include the Canadian teams with border restrictions, and no plan announced there yet. MLB supposedly starts in 2 weeks and yet they just discussed last week a shortened season possibility, but no plan announced. NFL and NHL both postponed games on the fly and and did not ever discuss in advance what they would do to make them up - this stuff all happened as it came up. NHL still hasn’t answered the question of how they will make up all the games or what they will do if more get postponed. AHL cancelled its year last year too, so did all USports and CHL, who turn a pretty good buck for a “non-pro” league. They are just hoping for the best. And yet you expect the CFL to lay out the answers for you now 4 months before the season starts? And you seriously want to compare the CFL to every other league as if their operations are apples to apples scenarios?

Here is a harsh reality check for all you fans who feel entitled to know the details of the CFLs multiple planned scenarios this instant. The big 4 sports all lost tons of money playing to empty houses. But the have massive TV contracts to offset those losses. The CFL makes peanuts compared to those leagues, and still has sizeable operating budgets to be able to function. They need fans to turn any kind of profit. Period. And they cannot dictate if fans are allowed to gather en masse right now. So until we get a view of where the pandemic sits come May with vaccinations and 3rd waves, no one can say for sure how the plan will shake out. For now, I see schedules out, players being re-signed, free agency in full swing, just like business as usual in every non-pandemic year. So sit back, digest the evidence that the season for now is a go based on what IS happening, understand just how fluid the situation is because of something none of us have ever lived through before, ignore a random unsubstantiated opinion piece from a media troll looking to stir up **** (if it bleeds, it leads, so they say, so saying “schedule announcement and playing signings show league looking to be on track” doesn’t generate as many hits) and quit jumping all over Ambrosie because he hasn’t laid out the master plan for all of us entitled fans who need clarity NOW, like he personally snuck the virus out of Chins and it’s totally on him if I don’t get my patio boozing or Rum Hut non-social distancing guaranteed by day’s end. 

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

We've shifted from "why aren't we making more moves to improve the team like everyone else....in February " to "Why won't the league put out a plan....in February" lol and it's actually kind of funny. 

I don't know if the rumour about scrapping 21' and re-upping again in 22' has any legs but obviously it must be circulating around the league....One way to end the rumour is for the league and in particular the commish to come out and call it bull$hit, before this thing has any credibility....The silence on this from the league is deafening

A story comes out that says the CFL may not play. Since we're the only league I know that didn't play in 2020 the track record is already there for not playing. Since we didn't, I think it's on the league to show they have some kind of contingency plan in place to actually play if stadiums are closed to the public. The Ghost of Randy Ambrosie is such a legend that the Ghost Adventures crew are out looking for him now. Glad you find the potential ruin of the league funny unlike the rest of us.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

39 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The NHL announced its 2021 season 3 weeks before puck drop. The NBA announced its season start a while 6 weeks before opening tip-off. MLS is ready to start its season (6 weeks before its first games) but says it is still working out how to include the Canadian teams with border restrictions, and no plan announced there yet. MLB supposedly starts in 2 weeks and yet they just discussed last week a shortened season possibility, but no plan announced. NFL and NHL both postponed games on the fly and and did not ever discuss in advance what they would do to make them up - this stuff all happened as it came up. NHL still hasn’t answered the question of how they will make up all the games or what they will do if more get postponed. AHL cancelled its year last year too, so did all USports and CHL, who turn a pretty good buck for a “non-pro” league. They are just hoping for the best. And yet you expect the CFL to lay out the answers for you now 4 months before the season starts? And you seriously want to compare the CFL to every other league as if their operations are apples to apples scenarios?

Here is a harsh reality check for all you fans who feel entitled to know the details of the CFLs multiple planned scenarios this instant. The big 4 sports all lost tons of money playing to empty houses. But the have massive TV contracts to offset those losses. The CFL makes peanuts compared to those leagues, and still has sizeable operating budgets to be able to function. They need fans to turn any kind of profit. Period. And they cannot dictate if fans are allowed to gather en masse right now. So until we get a view of where the pandemic sits come May with vaccinations and 3rd waves, no one can say for sure how the plan will shake out. For now, I see schedules out, players being re-signed, free agency in full swing, just like business as usual in every non-pandemic year. So sit back, digest the evidence that the season for now is a go based on what IS happening, understand just how fluid the situation is because of something none of us have ever lived through before, ignore a random unsubstantiated opinion piece from a media troll looking to stir up **** (if it bleeds, it leads, so they say, so saying “schedule announcement and playing signings show league looking to be on track” doesn’t generate as many hits) and quit jumping all over Ambrosie because he hasn’t laid out the master plan for all of us entitled fans who need clarity NOW, like he personally snuck the virus out of Chins and it’s totally on him if I don’t get my patio boozing or Rum Hut non-social distancing guaranteed by day’s end. 

So, you think we're jumping all over Randy Ambrosie? That by ghosting everyone & potentially making false promises to play means it isn't justified? Lol. You need to buy another scarf.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

27 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I don't know if the rumour about scrapping 21' and re-upping again in 22' has any legs but obviously it must be circulating around the league....One way to end the rumour is for the league and in particular the commish to come out and call it bull$hit, before this thing has any credibility....The silence on this from the league is deafening

The only legs this rumour seems to have is on this board. I don’t know of any other media that has picked up on it. And I don’t see people demanding other commissioners to shoot down every opinion article that comes out, nor do I see those commissioners wasting time putting out non-existent fires. Simply responding to every article gives useless stories oxygen. Somehow Ambrosie is held to a different standard for some reason around here.  If the league does not go ahead this year, this article will have had nothing to do with it. Don’t give it any credence. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The only legs this rumour seems to have is on this board. I don’t know of any other media that has picked up on it. And I don’t see people demanding other commissioners to shoot down every opinion article that comes out, nor do I see those commissioners wasting time putting out non-existent fires. Simply responding to every article gives useless stories oxygen. Somehow Ambrosie is held to a different standard for some reason around here.  If the league does not go ahead this year, this article will have had nothing to do with it. Don’t give it any credence. 

by not responding the league is opening itself up for speculation that 'maybe ' the rumour has credibility....Just quash the bloody thing if there's no fact to it....Banks and now a few other players are picking up on it and it's not looking like this thing is going to go away...We don't need Ambroise to dispell it...get a league representative to address it....If that's too much bloody trouble then someone isn't doing their job

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

All those other leagues have knew and their fans knew that they were going to play. The exact details remained up in the air, but they were going to have a season in some form. 

Here is a harsh reality check for you. After their **** ups last year they appear to have doubled down on waiting and hoping for the best case of fans in the stands, and that could kill this league. The fact that you appear to be OK with that just boggles the mind. What have these guys done to earn the benefit of the doubt?

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A story comes out that says the CFL may not play. Since we're the only league I know that didn't play in 2020 the track record is already there for not playing. Since we didn't, I think it's on the league to show they have some kind of contingency plan in place to actually play if stadiums are closed to the public. The Ghost of Randy Ambrosie is such a legend that the Ghost Adventures crew are out looking for him now. Glad you find the potential ruin of the league funny unlike the rest of us.

1. A story that offers zero substantiating quotes from actual league sources, citing one anonymous source who “is familiar with a guy” that basically says “I know one person who thinks not playing would be a better idea” and tries to tie the Edmonton coaching defection to a league-wide shutdown with no backing evidence AND in the face of every other team operating as normal. On a website we have all ripped all off-season for its history of writing unfounded nonsense. And that has not been picked up by any other media source to my knowledge So I give it it’s due credence, which is none at the present tIme. 
2. There were actually a bunch of leagues and events that got cancelled last year. All Canadian USports, a bunch of NCAA leagues, European league soccer, the Olympics, CHL, various world championships, tennis majors, to name a few. And some of them still don’t have their plans announced on how they are starting up again, except those who have definitively pulled the plug. So if you want a contingency plan set in stone now, the only one they could announce and guarantee today would be “ we aren’t playing”. I’m prepared to be patient and let them do their planning without holding them to a promise that they may not be able to keep due to circumstances beyond their control. 
3. I don’t find the demise of the CFL funny. What I find funny is your incessant need to blame Randy Ambrosie for all your angst because he has not personally reached out to you to lay out his everyday schedule. As I have said before, you b*tch when he doesn’t announce something, then you b*tch when he says “the league intends to lay this year” and some no name source says “maybe not the best idea, just my opinion”. Letting you personally know exactly where things are going to be in 4 months with no room for adjustment is likely pretty low on Ambrosie’s list of things to worry about right now, and personally having a list of “may never come to pass” contingency plans when the reality is without fans the CFL has no financial leg to stand on is pretty low on my “things I give a **** about” list too right now. I’m glad you don’t have bigger things to fret about than Randy not returning your calls. 

So, you think we're jumping all over Randy Ambrosie? That by ghosting everyone & potentially making false promises to play means it isn't justified? Lol. You need to buy another scarf.

So you are mad when he doesn’t say anything, and you are mad when he does say something because it could be a potentially false promise based on some random anonymous guy with no apparent credibility or source info to back him up? Real win-win for Randy there in your world. Want to debate things Ambrosie has not done right, let’s discuss the International plan and it’s pros and cons, bring up the Atlantic expansion of the Toronto issue (but be fair and cite every other commish who has not got that down either, don’t pin it all on scarf boy). Silence doesn’t mean inaction, it means you don’t need to know today because you cannot contribute to the possible solution at this point, and some of the answers you seek cannot be given because so many factors are in play that are unforeseen right now. Your personal need to know is just a headache when bigger things are at play. Can you not just be satisfied that we have a schedule, we have feee agency on schedule, we have player signings, there are discussions and plans about the draft and a draft order is in place, and right now there is nothing official to suggest that the season is kaput or delayed? It’s not ghosting as much as it might be “Speedflex’s personal need to have a magic solution right now is not my most pressing need”. Sorry to burst your ego. 
If you really want a contingency plan for no fans in the stands, then be proactive yourself. The fans revenue needs to be replaced. So start a GoFundMe to save the CFL. League needs $150 million. Average attendance league-wide is over 1.5 million every year. So gets every fan who can’t go to games to pay to the fund. $100 per person for each games they would go to. If the death of this league is the life-altering tragedy some say it is based on their panic over the article and the subsequent comments, they should be happy to pony up. It is said if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem, so are you willing to be part of the solution by offering a contingency plan you so desperately want to see? Or do you want to complain for the sake of complaining?

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

1. A story that offers zero substantiating quotes from actual league sources, citing one anonymous source who “is familiar with a guy” that basically says “I know one person who thinks not playing would be a better idea” and tries to tie the Edmonton coaching defection to a league-wide shutdown with no backing evidence AND in the face of every other team operating as normal. On a website we have all ripped all off-season for its history of writing unfounded nonsense. And that has not been picked up by any other media source to my knowledge So I give it it’s due credence, which is none at the present tIme. 
2. There were actually a bunch of leagues and events that got cancelled last year. All Canadian USports, a bunch of NCAA leagues, European league soccer, the Olympics, CHL, various world championships, tennis majors, to name a few. And some of them still don’t have their plans announced on how they are starting up again, except those who have definitively pulled the plug. So if you want a contingency plan set in stone now, the only one they could announce and guarantee today would be “ we aren’t playing”. I’m prepared to be patient and let them do their planning without holding them to a promise that they may not be able to keep due to circumstances beyond their control. 
3. I don’t find the demise of the CFL funny. What I find funny is your incessant need to blame Randy Ambrosie for all your angst because he has not personally reached out to you to lay out his everyday schedule. As I have said before, you b*tch when he doesn’t announce something, then you b*tch when he says “the league intends to lay this year” and some no name source says “maybe not the best idea, just my opinion”. Letting you personally know exactly where things are going to be in 4 months with no room for adjustment is likely pretty low on Ambrosie’s list of things to worry about right now, and personally having a list of “may never come to pass” contingency plans when the reality is without fans the CFL has no financial leg to stand on is pretty low on my “things I give a **** about” list too right now. I’m glad you don’t have bigger things to fret about than Randy not returning your calls. 

So you are mad when he doesn’t say anything, and you are mad when he does say something because it could be a potentially false promise based on some random anonymous guy with no apparent credibility or source info to back him up? Real win-win for Randy there in your world. Want to debate things Ambrosie has not done right, let’s discuss the International plan and it’s pros and cons, bring up the Atlantic expansion of the Toronto issue (but be fair and cite every other commish who has not got that down either, don’t pin it all on scarf boy). Silence doesn’t mean inaction, it means you don’t need to know today because you cannot contribute to the possible solution at this point, and some of the answers you seek cannot be given because so many factors are in play that are unforeseen right now. Your personal need to know is just a headache when bigger things are at play. Can you not just be satisfied that we have a schedule, we have feee agency on schedule, we have player signings, there are discussions and plans about the draft and a draft order is in place, and right now there is nothing official to suggest that the season is kaput or delayed? It’s not ghosting as much as it might be “Speedflex’s personal need to have a magic solution right now is not my most pressing need”. Sorry to burst your ego. 
If you really want a contingency plan for no fans in the stands, then be proactive yourself. The fans revenue needs to be replaced. So start a GoFundMe to save the CFL. League needs $150 million. Average attendance league-wide is over 1.5 million every year. So gets every fan who can’t go to games to pay to the fund. $100 per person for each games they would go to. If the death of this league is the life-altering tragedy some say it is based on their panic over the article and the subsequent comments, they should be happy to pony up. It is said if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem, so are you willing to be part of the solution by offering a contingency plan you so desperately want to see? Or do you want to complain for the sake of complaining?

People are upset that Randy seems to have no accountability or the guts to show his face to give bad news. Just when there's good news do we see his pearly whites & inflated promises. You want to defend the man for doing nothing publicly that is your right. Just as it's mine & others right here to criticize him if we think he isn't doing a good job.  With a season already lost, a botched attempt at getting federal funding & stringing us along until August last year before pulling the plug on the season, he has every right to be criticized. He is, after all the supposed face of the league.  Randy by now, should have rebutted that story, if untrue but he didn't which is par for the course. Maybe he didn't want to venture out into the Polar Vortex. Who knows?

A Go Fund Me page? Seriously. It's not up to me or any fan to save the league. It's up to the BOG's & Ambrosie himself to do that so please stop with the cute ideas while you're still ahead. 

Beyond all of the rumours, I've still yet to hear what A back-up plan or B some official variation of the season would look like IF we can't stick with a regular season....Expecting fans to be in 'suspended anticipation' with no official facts is grating...................Hello league office....is there anyone out there?? 

If The Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding Corp. (CEEFC) can give 310 million to Goodlife Fitness to keep their butts outta the tank, then they can surely give same type monies to The CFL ( tho it would require probably 1/3 to half of that amount) as when you factor in all the people employed within in, as well as all the outside entities that have lost significant revenue due to the league not running it basically employs a huge number of people. This falls under the Large Employer Emergency Financing Facility (LEEFF) in an attempt to protect jobs.

How is that any different really?...TV revenue accounts for all the "players" salaries so it's not like money is being given to American residents up here playing ball...It would go to the business of running the team's..vendors, suppliers...and all staff involved...Officials...TV Producers, camera crews..etc..etc..all Canadian parts of the actual business of the CFL..The money is there obviously and really 310 Million for fitness centers?..From experience running one before, monthly membership dues are pushed and promoted to project your monthly residual income to keep clubs running and pay staff..utilities..insurance..etc...

Staff not working, lights being off, is a huge savings from normal monthly expenses, and from what I know they were in a bad place trying to complete their new facilities that were in construction..2 being here in Winnipeg....Construction originally stopped from first shut due to pandemic, but nothing has been done since, when it could have because they were out of cash..now where do you think a majority of that 310 million they are getting is headed?...Getting a handout to "expand" your business in these times, is a lot different than money needed to prop up established assets so you dont have to close doors.

Why the Government doesn't see the CFL beyond the players salaries as Canadian loss of business and revenue from many angles is utterly laughable...not to mention propping up Airlines so there is no significant "loss of jobs"....thats more to ease the minds of investors more than anything...

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, Booch said:

If The Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding Corp. (CEEFC) can give 310 million to Goodlife Fitness to keep their butts outta the tank, then they can surely give same type monies to The CFL ( tho it would require probably 1/3 to half of that amount) as when you factor in all the people employed within in, as well as all the outside entities that have lost significant revenue due to the league not running it basically employs a huge number of people. This falls under the Large Employer Emergency Financing Facility (LEEFF) in an attempt to protect jobs.

How is that any different really?...TV revenue accounts for all the "players" salaries so it's not like money is being given to American residents up here playing ball...It would go to the business of running the team's..vendors, suppliers...and all staff involved...Officials...TV Producers, camera crews..etc..etc..all Canadian parts of the actual business of the CFL..The money is there obviously and really 310 Million for fitness centers?..From experience running one before, monthly membership dues are pushed and promoted to project your monthly residual income to keep clubs running and pay staff..utilities..insurance..etc...

Staff not working, lights being off, is a huge savings from normal monthly expenses, and from what I know they were in a bad place trying to complete their new facilities that were in construction..2 being here in Winnipeg....Construction originally stopped from first shut due to pandemic, but nothing has been done since, when it could have because they were out of cash..now where do you think a majority of that 310 million they are getting is headed?...Getting a handout to "expand" your business in these times, is a lot different than money needed to prop up established assets so you dont have to close doors.

Why the Government doesn't see the CFL beyond the players salaries as Canadian loss of business and revenue from many angles is utterly laughable...not to mention propping up Airlines so there is no significant "loss of jobs"....thats more to ease the minds of investors more than anything...

I agree which is why teams like the Argos & Als driving up FA salaries during a pandemic makes no sense. Charleston Hughes can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned. He never should have got a raise. Take a pay cut like other players did to keep expenses in line, but nope. Spending should have been taken out of the hands of irresponsible teams like the Argos. Put salaries & expenses in a pool & let each team draw equally out of it. They can spend any way they want but each team must form a complete team with a certain number of players by season beginning. That's what they should have done but didn't.

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Brandon Banks said yesterday that he'll retire or go play somewhere else if no season so the story just doesn't have legs here but elsewhere. 

If the league can show that they're going to pay the player salaries (especially US players) on their own, via TV revenue or whatever, then I can't see why the government wouldn't be able to back them to cover operating costs for individual teams. Hopefully they've got a better plan in mind for approaching government this time... 

Ambrosie doesn't want to talk about the 2021 season. There is no downside to publicizing the plan, assuming there is one. There is a downside to not publicizing the plan IE:  If you don't tell people what is going to happen, they will make up their own stories and those stories are likely to be worse than the real story.

We aren't the only ones talking about it. Pedersen says:

My league sources have indicated to me that the CFL intends to play in 2021 and that – worse-case scenario – they’re preparing the stadiums to be setup similar to the NFL’s and NHL’s in 2020 (tarps over the lower sections with national & local ads on them). A June or July kickoff is reportedly “off the table” and they’re looking at a late-August or Labour Day kickoff.

If he's right, the schedule we have isn't going to happen.