2021 Season

Jpan85

I'd be happy with a 12-14 game schedule if that is what it takes but just do it. As I said in a post a few weeks ago, having the Grey Cup in Hamilton gives the CFL some kind of leeway with time in that it isn't like Regina where the season has to be wrapped up by the end of November for fear the Polar Vortex strikes. It could probably still be played outside at THF the second Sunday of December. Western playoffs may be dicey but it's not like cold weather out here hasn't happened before. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Holy cow are you guys ready to jump on Ambrosie at the first chance with no solid backing evidence.

First, this is a 3DownNation post, and from everything I have read (and everything I have heard from the vast majority of posters here) their credibility is as solid as Qanon lately.

Second, this “anonymous source” isn’t quoting anything official or citing an executive position and is basically stating a personal opinion of what they and they themselves think might be feasible. Their supposed cred comes from being “familiar” with the executive level of the league, whatever that means. That list could include any host of journalists who know who the league executives are but has no say in actual league operations.

Third, that opinion seems based solely on the state of the Edmonton no-names, as regurgitated to an Edmonton reporter. Since they don’t have a full coaching staff, this source claims that, rather than being behind the 8-ball when all the other 8 franchises are operating as if the season is a go, in fact Edmonton is the “canary in the coal mine” who are not replacing staff because only they see the danger of no season and are cost cutting. As if their lack of staff has everything to do with this hidden agenda to not play, as opposed to Scott Milanovich bailing on his contract when the NFL came a-calling. It is trying to paint the “whatever name the fans vote for, it will be stupid”’s as ahead of the curve rather than behind it, and creates a false narrative of their disorganization as indicative of some inside knowledge over the league shutting down.

Fourth, the opinion is not that the league will not proceed, but that in their mind it would be better to wait another year to guarantee full stadiums, a completely new CFLPA contract, and everybody vaccinated. Nothing in that sentiment is wrong. Having all that in place would allow much more stability than the band-aid plan that might come to pass (and which is how every other league is operating right now, before anyone jumps on this as a sign of CFL weakness - all leagues are drowning right now, the CFL just doesn’t have the deep pockets the big 4 do). What the report fails to touch on is what the harm in not playing would be. The article seems to suggest that the fans would be upset but other than that there would be no downside, when the reality is that shuttering another year would do economic harm beyond hurt fan feelings. So this article has a heavy bias towards “not playing is better” and spins it into “may not be feasible this year”, and the crowd here then spins it into “now the league is back-tracking” based on nothing other than a pre-determined dislike of Ambrosie, like it’s completely his fault a bat spread a virus in China.  

So the season may go, it may not, but this article offers zero evidence either way. And Ambrosie is not blameless for many things in the CFL, but let’s not manufacture outrage based on purely speculative opinion pieces with no credible intel. 

So correct me if I'm wrong...  the Winnipeg Goldeyes which are part of a very minor league have a COVID plan and a plan to play this season.

The CFL after a full year still have zero plan despite having far less logistics to deal with (crossing the border) and a major TV partner. 

I don't understand why they don't have best case worst case scenario.  Wouldn't it help in certain areas if they need to get some sort of help/funding if they have a plan in place for playing in a bubble. It just seems so weird that they have said jack squat. 

34 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Yeah... I think Winston Churchill's famous quote rings very true here:

He who fails to plan, is planning to fail.

In this case, I prefer the Sphinx' quote from Mystery Men:

When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

Whatever the plan's are (if in fact there are any) the fans should be advised of them....I know a lot depends on how these vaccinations go BUT for cripes sake list some of them (if there are any)...We saw a little bit of the 'no plan' scenario when we went to the feds. for cash with no bloody plan, and how that worked out...The least the league could do would be to keep the fans apprised about what is going on behind the scenes....We should at least expect that.....

40 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Whatever the plan's are (if in fact there are any) the fans should be advised of them....I know a lot depends on how these vaccinations go BUT for cripes sake list some of them (if there are any)...We saw a little bit of the 'no plan' scenario when we went to the feds. for cash with no bloody plan, and how that worked out...The least the league could do would be to keep the fans apprised about what is going on behind the scenes....We should at least expect that.....

Why exactly do fans need to know now? 

28 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That they are actually committed to playing the season, and that means having some kind of concrete plan if they can't put asses in the seats. This whole hoping for the best strategy of theirs failed last year, why try it again? 

The CFL was having trouble getting fans out as it is, it won't get easier if they go 2 seasons without games. 

39 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So... I can book time off for games from work, plan my life to the best of my ability to attend as many games as possible as a season ticket holder? As a parent, I need to lineup a babysitter, as an employee, I need to make sure I have time off for the games. Even though the schedule is already out, if, for example, they plan on having any additional protocols that add time to the game, it'd be nice to know that in advance.

Also, longer term it'd help build trust between the league and fans... although the 2020 cancelling was expected, if they don't keep fans informed and pull the rug out from them again, they only risk further alienating their fan base.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, it'd inspire some confidence in us and make the CFL look not only like it cares but that it can be trusted, IMO. This league has basically sat on its hands for nearly a year now, save for a single ham-fisted attempt to get federal gov't assistance that ultimately failed. Nobody was surprised 2020 didn't happen but we're into mid-February 2021 and little information or progress on a 2021 season has been given.

The CFL operates with too much secrecy. That's not a sound way to get support from the public.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think most of the guys on here agree there's a lot to know....Keeping fans in the dark during this precarious time is not on....Planning for a fans involvement is never a bad thing... When you're aware of what is developing with regard to the season it keeps fans involved and informed...Changes and back-up plans would meet that criteria

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

That is one of my big problems with Ambrosie. He should keep fans & media apprised on a regular basis instead of ghosting us. He never comes out when news is bad. Only when news is good. He also knows about the 3DN story of no season (how could he not?) & hasn't come out to say it's wrong. That alone is very concerning. He hasn't talked about possible contingency plans which is crazy. Is it possible there aren't any even after losing a complete season? if so, how can that be?? Ambrosie just doesn't have the instincts to know what the right thing is to do. As in, when to put out little brushfires before they become big ones.  He's become a very polarizing figure. Fans either like him or hate him which isn't good for the CFL trying to stay relevant with its now obviously shrinking fanbase. 

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

With the Esks anonymous source yapping to 3DN this week, I'd love to see Ambrosie come out with a presser this week calling the whole thing bullshit and giving us an actual reason to have faith. 

See my comments about that very thing. 

20 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

So... I can book time off for games from work, plan my life to the best of my ability to attend as many games as possible as a season ticket holder? As a parent, I need to lineup a babysitter, as an employee, I need to make sure I have time off for the games. Even though the schedule is already out, if, for example, they plan on having any additional protocols that add time to the game, it'd be nice to know that in advance.

Also, longer term it'd help build trust between the league and fans... although the 2020 cancelling was expected, if they don't keep fans informed and pull the rug out from them again, they only risk further alienating their fan base.

You have the schedule in front of you right now. Nothing has stopped you from booking off work or getting your baby sitter arranged with 4 months to spare. I’m sure protocols have been discussed but are contingent on what the Provincial and Federal health authorities will decree is allowable come the spring. “Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable”- Dwight D Eisenhower

And if the 2020 cancellation was expected as you say, how exactly was the rug pulled out from under your feet the first time?

Simple rule in customer service where things that determine the outcome are ultimately out of your control - undersell and overproduce.