2020 CFL Playoff Time

Noeller

So this would be the final weekend of the CFL regular season. Next week would be the Semis, and of course Finals and then Grey Cup in the 3rd week of November. I've decided that I'm going to attempt some sort of Re-Watch Party on those days, exactly when the games would be happening. I have the edited re-broadcasts of each game on my PVR (I didn't tape the games at the time, for fear of jinxing us...) but was fortunate enough to have come into bluray copies of each game, with the complete broadcast on it. 

No photo description available.

So, my November weekends are all set. I wish there was some way we could all participate in this, virtually, and do a MBB Chat throughout each game. I'm really missing the camaraderie each week and having upcoming games to talk about. Just absolutely heart breaking right now. We've got a relatively small "bubble" of friends (less than 10) that we see outside of work, so that'll have to do for now, but man..... I really miss the real thing. 

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

So this would be the final weekend of the CFL regular season. Next week would be the Semis, and of course Finals and then Grey Cup in the 3rd week of November. I've decided that I'm going to attempt some sort of Re-Watch Party on those days, exactly when the games would be happening. I have the edited re-broadcasts of each game on my PVR (I didn't tape the games at the time, for fear of jinxing us...) but was fortunate enough to have come into bluray copies of each game, with the complete broadcast on it. 

No photo description available.

So, my November weekends are all set. I wish there was some way we could all participate in this, virtually, and do a MBB Chat throughout each game. I'm really missing the camaraderie each week and having upcoming games to talk about. Just absolutely heart breaking right now. We've got a relatively small "bubble" of friends (less than 10) that we see outside of work, so that'll have to do for now, but man..... I really miss the real thing. 

You need to upload that on to Youtube and torrent it.

Couple things -- the broadcasts on the blurays actually belong to someone else who made me a copy. I call it "for medicinal purposes" ;)  And yes, I'm in broadcasting and am fully aware of how illegal it is to re-broadcast someone else's content. Even if there's no money being made from it, it's still wildly illegal. 

Moreso, I'm just wishing aloud for an opportunity to create some sort of virtual get together to watch these games..... but we'd need TSN to re-broadcast them for us to make it work. 

I have no idea what the logistics are, but I desperately want the CFL to get its act together regarding it's televised content from the last 60+ years. Not sure how the rights work for CBC, CFN, and TSN archival games, but we desperately need them in an on-demand format. I'll pay literally any amount per month to have legal access to those games. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Couple things -- the broadcasts on the blurays actually belong to someone else who made me a copy. I call it "for medicinal purposes" ;)  And yes, I'm in broadcasting and am fully aware of how illegal it is to re-broadcast someone else's content. Even if there's no money being made from it, it's still wildly illegal. 

Moreso, I'm just wishing aloud for an opportunity to create some sort of virtual get together to watch these games..... but we'd need TSN to re-broadcast them for us to make it work. 

I have no idea what the logistics are, but I desperately want the CFL to get its act together regarding it's televised content from the last 60+ years. Not sure how the rights work for CBC, CFN, and TSN archival games, but we desperately need them in an on-demand format. I'll pay literally any amount per month to have legal access to those games. 

I hope TSN does this. There is nothing for sports on now but Covid College Football (the ones that are not cancelled) and the No Fun League. I love European soccer but it's only early in the day. 

THIS... still warms my heart 55 years after it happened. The 109 yard pass & run QB Ken Ploen to Flanker Ken Nielsen TD that sealed the deal for the Bombers in Game 3 of the Best of 3 1965 Western Final series. The play that sent the Bombers to the Grey Cup!!! I have never seen the play before. We were watching the game at my Aunt's house & my parents left before the game was over. I was just 10 years of age & I remember so well hearing the TD on CKY AM radio with an elated Jack Wells excitedly describing what had just happened.  Etched in my memory forever like a stone tablet. 

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

THIS... still warms my heart 55 years after it happened. The 109 yard pass & run QB Ken Ploen to Flanker Ken Nielsen TD that sealed the deal for the Bombers in Game 3 of the Best of 3 1965 Western Final series. The play that sent the Bombers to the Grey Cup!!! I have never seen the play before. We were watching the game at my Aunt's house & my parents left before the game was over. I was just 10 years of age & I remember so well hearing the TD on CKY AM on the car radio with an elated Jack Wells excitedly describing what had just happened.  Look at how much time Ploen had to throw. No one came near him!! And what a throw. He dropped the ball right into Nielsen's hands. A thing of real beauty!! That is how a little kid & others like me became Blue Bomber fans for the rest of our lives. Etched in my memory forever like a stone tablet. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Most of this is useless, but toward the end they mention that TSN is planning "extensive" Grey Cup coverage, week of Nov 16-22.

I'll take it... 

I think Miller is the better of the 2. Rod Black should be host of CFL TV coverage in the studio only. I think he'd excel there with the panel whereas he is failing epically as pbp on CFL football. 

32 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Miller is the better of the 2. Rod Black should be host of CFL TV coverage in the studio only. I think he'd excel there with the panel whereas he is failing epically as pbp on CFL football. 

I don't know about that- I would miss him as PBP. He's the chocolate or butter JellyBelly equivalent to PBP- his presence greatly enhances the other ones. "Just remember, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour, and I know the sour."

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Gord and Matty would be their best pairing, but Rod's not bad.....

Yeah those two have done a fair number of games together and I agree they're a good tandem. They just seem to have some chemistry on air. 

My only beef with Gord Miller is sometimes he acts like the colour commentary in addition to the PBP. 

On 2020-10-30 at 3:10 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

THIS... still warms my heart 55 years after it happened. The 109 yard pass & run QB Ken Ploen to Flanker Ken Nielsen TD that sealed the deal for the Bombers in Game 3 of the Best of 3 1965 Western Final series. The play that sent the Bombers to the Grey Cup!!! I have never seen the play before. We were watching the game at my Aunt's house & my parents left before the game was over. I was just 10 years of age & I remember so well hearing the TD on CKY AM radio with an elated Jack Wells excitedly describing what had just happened.  Etched in my memory forever like a stone tablet. 

I have never seen this play before either. It’s great and a great find. 

It's West Semi-Final Week!! We've got Calgary in Calgary this Sunday afternoon. Call me crazy, but I just have a really good feeling that with a healthy Zach Collaros, we've got a shot in this thing. If Streveler is healthy enough to run some short yardage packages, it'll help, but having Collaros starting, we've absolutely got a shot. Weather is cold, but should be a good day for football. 

Can't wait for Sunday!!!!!! 

4 hours ago, Rod Black said:

I have never seen this play before either. It’s great and a great find. 

Nielsen had some jets. He could run. I always felt that Nielsen & Poplawski were the 2 best Canadian receivers to ever put on a Bomber helmet. Nielsen played in the 65 Grey Cup but didn't win. Joe Pop won the 84 Grey Cup. Nielsen was a wideout while Poplawski was a slot. Joe Pop #1 & Nielsen #2. Just my opinion, though. 

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nielsen had some jets. He could run. I always felt that Nielsen & Poplawski were the 2 best Canadian receivers to ever put on a Bomber helmet. Nielsen played in the 65 Grey Cup but didn't win. Joe Pop won the 84 Grey Cup. Nielsen was a wideout while Poplawski was a slot. Joe Pop #1 & Nielsen #2. Just my opinion, though. 

Neilson certainly was fast in the video! I still see Joe Pop around now and then. If I recollect, he was a golly gee type of guy. Would make a good neighbour. Saw Kenny Ploen around as well a year or two ago. I forgot that he is still “angular”, a Howard Cosell word. 

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

It's West Semi-Final Week!! We've got Calgary in Calgary this Sunday afternoon. Call me crazy, but I just have a really good feeling that with a healthy Zach Collaros, we've got a shot in this thing. If Streveler is healthy enough to run some short yardage packages, it'll help, but having Collaros starting, we've absolutely got a shot. Weather is cold, but should be a good day for football. 

Can't wait for Sunday!!!!!! 

Just don’t start whining about the Lapp playbook, the defensive breakdowns of Richie Hall’s schemes, and scream about blowing up the failed Canadian mafia at halftime if we are behind. Football is a 60 minute game, and all you negative Nancy doom and gloomers are getting tiring to me.