Jump to content

2021 (??) CFL Season


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

all things considered we had a pretty good regular season...Prior to Nichols injury we were rolling...Defence was lights out and barely allowing TD's Nichols went down...Strev was up and down and

$404K in 2021, $500K in 2022. And hopefully more of this:

One good thing about the Nichols move to Ottawa for me: we were not supposed to play the Argos at home this year due to the imbalanced schedule. At least now when the RedBlacks show up Oct. 2 the club

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Great so then teams will only lose the salaries of coaches and support staff and office staff and facilities fees....

 

 

29 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Travel expenses, hotel accommodations, flights, meals and per diems, training camp expenses, equipment costs, stadium upkeep and game day power usage costs.,,,,,,,

1 revenue stream takes care of the huge majority of operating costs. Did you know its not the only one? 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why the CFL can't find investors or major sponsors to put money into the league to get them back on the field. I mean, if the Rock can put up $20 million of his own money for a sketchy league like the XFL then why can't someone or some companies invest in our league?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm willing to give them time yet to unveil some kinda plan. Edmonton's President said they've done financial models for as low as 10% capacity, which might even be possible this summer in an outdoor facility that holds at least twice that (in Montreal) and up to 5x that (in Edmonton). And maybe they have some kinda financial model for no fans for a few games...?? I know Ambrosie hasn't earned the benefit of doubt, but as a noted Positron who desperately wants to see CFL ball this year, I'm staying upbeat and hoping for good news on this front...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I'm willing to give them time yet to unveil some kinda plan. Edmonton's President said they've done financial models for as low as 10% capacity, which might even be possible this summer in an outdoor facility that holds at least twice that (in Montreal) and up to 5x that (in Edmonton). And maybe they have some kinda financial model for no fans for a few games...?? I know Ambrosie hasn't earned the benefit of doubt, but as a noted Positron who desperately wants to see CFL ball this year, I'm staying upbeat and hoping for good news on this front...

I won't finish the sentence as I'll be spitting mad if it occurs... If Ambrosie cancels the season...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I won't finish the sentence as I'll be spitting mad if it occurs... If Ambrosie cancels the season...

I'll finish your sentence: ...the league is likely dead. 

Which is why there's no way the season gets canceled. Somehow, some way......they'll find a way to play this year. At some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'll finish your sentence: ...the league is likely dead. 

Which is why there's no way the season gets canceled. Somehow, some way......they'll find a way to play this year. At some point.

Ambrosie just doesn't give me any confidence that things will be fine going forward. If they do it will be in spite of him & not because of him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't understand why the CFL can't find investors or major sponsors to put money into the league to get them back on the field. I mean, if the Rock can put up $20 million of his own money for a sketchy league like the XFL then why can't someone or some companies invest in our league?

It's probably because current league owners wouldn't want to part with their stake in the respective teams. The $20 million the Rock sunk into the XFL may have been for a significant stake in ownership. Higher risk? Certainly, but if the XFL could've gone toe-to-toe with the NFL, even modestly for 2 - 3 years profitably, it'd have been a much bigger payout than anything the CFL could've offered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

It's probably because current league owners wouldn't want to part with their stake in the respective teams. The $20 million the Rock sunk into the XFL may have been for a significant stake in ownership. Higher risk? Certainly, but if the XFL could've gone toe-to-toe with the NFL, even modestly for 2 - 3 years profitably, it'd have been a much bigger payout than anything the CFL could've offered.

Devils Advocate: I wonder if the CFL cash strapped as it is would try to convince the XFL to merge & form one fall league with rules from both leagues coming into play. Would you rather that happen than the CFL folding? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Devils Advocate: I wonder if the CFL cash strapped as it is would try to convince the XFL to merge & form one fall league with rules from both leagues coming into play. Would you rather that happen than the CFL folding? 

Personally... no. Whatever aberration would result from that would not be Canadian football as we know it, there would be a massive cutting of Canadian talent, as the rule requiring Canadian players would be one of the first things to be nixed. On top of all that, you're making the league's current dilemma (COVID-19) even worse, merging with the XFL would require, at a minimum, cross-border travel, which as the NHL Dubois scenario has shown, can be problematic at best. If a higher-profile league like the NHL couldn't get an exemption for one player, why on Earth would they grant similar exemptions to entire teams?

Add to that the risks of a startup, uncertainty surrounding fledgling new partners, and... for whatever reason... joining with XFL owners that have run through any goodwill with players based upon how they closed up shop previously (players left to pay their own way home, players left unpaid, and players abandoned by the league in unknown cities) and I don't really see much upside to that scenario.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Devils Advocate: I wonder if the CFL cash strapped as it is would try to convince the XFL to merge & form one fall league with rules from both leagues coming into play. Would you rather that happen than the CFL folding? 

I can't imagine it ever getting to this, but what an awful Sophie's Choice. I want NO PART of merging with another league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting observations. Yeah, the Canadian Rule would be gone but I think more than a few could make the rosters of any team. The field would be smaller as American stadiums can't fit a Canadian field. But some of the CFL rules could be incorporated. That is, if a new league is ever formed. With Covid, I think anything is possible especially the longer it lasts. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-02-05 at 5:10 PM, wbbfan said:

 

1 revenue stream takes care of the huge majority of operating costs. Did you know its not the only one? 😆

Bombers’ operating costs for 2019 was $32 million, the player salaries were only $5.35 million of that.

Ticket sales accounted for 32% of the club’s total revenue of $35 million. Game day, concessions and merch sales accounted for another 24%.

And although the privately owned clubs’ books are not public, the publicly owned Bombers, Riders, and Edmonton Whatevers are considered probably the 3 healthiest clubs in the CFL, and only the Bombers turned a profit in 2019. 

Suggesting that the TSN can cover the bulk of the salary cap and therefore the league is financially solvent because of that one fact is too simplistic and fundamentally incorrect. 

Edited to remove some of my snark. Was not needed or called for. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Bombers’ operating costs for 2019 was $32 million, the player salaries were only $5.35 million of that. Did you know that?

Ticket sales accounted for 32% of the club’s total revenue of $35 million. Game day, concessions and mercy sales accounted for another 24%. Did you know that?

And although the privately owned clubs’ books are not public, the publicly owned Bombers, Riders, and Edmonton Whatevers are considered probably the 3 healthiest clubs in the CFL, and only the Bombers turned a profit in 2019. Did you know that?

Suggesting that the TSN can cover the bulk of the salary cap and therefore the league is financially solvent because of that one fact is hopelessly simplistic logic and fundamentally incorrect. 

Thank you for showing the math. The idea that player costs are the bulk of the teams cost is just ignorance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Thank you for showing the math. The idea that player costs are the bulk of the teams cost is just ignorance.

I think this stems a lot from the publicity surrounding contracts. You'll hear about star players making millions of dollars, but unfortunately, articles about cost of goods sold and direct costs are not catchy headlines...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Noeller said:

there was a quote on Twitter just the other day from (I believe) Jamie Nye in Sask, who said that TSN's money covers the players payroll for each team. So that part, apparently, is true...

There's a sliver of truth in pretty much everything that gets posted here.  It becomes problematic when a sliver is posted as the whole story.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there was a quote on Twitter just the other day from (I believe) Jamie Nye in Sask, who said that TSN's money covers the players payroll for each team. So that part, apparently, is true...

Oh I don't doubt it's true, but there are a lot more expenses for a cfl team than just paying players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Former Riders o-lineman Bruce Campbell looking like he'd still fit in, in Regina.

 

No matter how big and bad you might think you are, there is always someone who will make you look like a fool, enjoy the protein shakes you idiot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...