2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

100%. Its a puppet role.

I dont think by any means that buck pierce will be a HC any time soon. He's barely had 14 games as an OC.

He’s certainly not ready. I’m surprised he’s mentioned but Richie Hall isn’t who has all the experience in the world and has done a great job with this group. 

12 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He’s certainly not ready. I’m surprised he’s mentioned but Richie Hall isn’t who has all the experience in the world and has done a great job with this group. 

100%. At this point I think jordan younger and marty costello are more likely to jump up next. I'd bet that in the new 2 years JY is a DC and maybe ast hc some where. Costello is a guy who teams should look at, but will certainly take longer to get a fair shot. 

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

100%. Its a puppet role.

I dont think by any means that buck pierce will be a HC any time soon. He's barely had 14 games as an OC.

Ryan Dinwiddie never was a Coordinator with the Stamps so you never know. The only way I see Buck Pierce becoming a head coach in Ottawa is if they promote LaPo to GM & he hires Buck. Pierce would be wise to stay away from Edmonton as that entire organization has major, major dysfunctional problems. 

Cool!

TORONTO – Arkells have enlisted a little help from multiplatinum, folk-rock authorities, The Lumineers, to wow their hometown crowd as part of the Twisted Tea Grey Cup Halftime Show.

The Denver-based duo will join the headliners at the 108th playing of the CFL’s championship game at Hamilton’s Tim Hortons Field on Sunday, December 12 at 6 p.m. ET.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/12/02/arkells-welcome-lumineers-special-guests-108th-grey-cup/

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ryan Dinwiddie never was a Coordinator with the Stamps so you never know. The only way I see Buck Pierce becoming a head coach in Ottawa is if they promote LaPo to GM & he hires Buck. Pierce would be wise to stay away from Edmonton as that entire organization has major, major dysfunctional problems. 

He wasnt, but his role was more than a typical QB coach in calgary. Yes dicker takes the oc title and money. But dinwiddie was at least half of that role. And through a time when calgary had one of the best passing attacks consistently.  Dinwiddie was also a quick turn around from starting cfl coaching to HCing. Buck has been kicking around as a position coach for a long time. buck isnt a young phenom like sean mcvay.

I think buck is a few years away from getting his respect as a CO and possible HC candidate. He has shown some great flashes with evolving his play call and coming up with un expected offenses, but he's still got a very long way to go. I do think he can make that trek to being an elite OC though. 

I wonder if either of the fledgling spring leagues might steal some position coaches away. 

Just now, bearpants said:

but are you looking forward to the second half interview during the game??

If it's the guy from the Arkells who they had in the booth the other day, I don't mind it.  He is a fan of the game and understands it.  He knew when to stop talking and is knowledgeable enough that if the guys in the booth do ask him to do a play call, he could probably pull it off.

5 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Haha can you imagine... they bring in the dude from the Arkells to do guest playcalls.. while Bob twiddles his thumbs in the corner.

Well, the way the senior broadcaster retirements are going this year, they need new talent in the booth. Maybe they are auditioning their guests?

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

He wasnt, but his role was more than a typical QB coach in calgary. Yes dicker takes the oc title and money. But dinwiddie was at least half of that role. And through a time when calgary had one of the best passing attacks consistently.  Dinwiddie was also a quick turn around from starting cfl coaching to HCing. Buck has been kicking around as a position coach for a long time. buck isnt a young phenom like sean mcvay.

I think buck is a few years away from getting his respect as a CO and possible HC candidate. He has shown some great flashes with evolving his play call and coming up with un expected offenses, but he's still got a very long way to go. I do think he can make that trek to being an elite OC though. 

I wonder if either of the fledgling spring leagues might steal some position coaches away. 

To me, Buck has already shown he's a better coach & OC than LaPo. Look how the offense has been transformed with guys like Bailey & Lawler flourishing. We won with a committe of Canadian running backs this season. We weren't cute & fancy. We didn't rely on our receivers getting YAC yards to get first downs & we stretched opposition defenses throwing deep much more. The offense seemed in better sync with virtually the same players that LaPo had. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To me, Buck has already shown he's a better coach & OC than LaPo. Look how the offense has been transformed with guys like Bailey & Lawler flourishing. We won with a committe of Canadian running backs this season. We weren't cute & fancy. We didn't rely on our receivers getting YAC yards to get first downs & we stretched opposition defenses throwing deep much more. The offense seemed in better sync with virtually the same players that LaPo had. 

The offense became more like that as soon as ZC arrived, in 2019.  MN was no longer able to consistently hit receivers in stride on the longer passes. 

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The offense became more like that as soon as ZC arrived, in 2019.  MN was no longer able to consistently hit receivers in stride on the longer passes. 

Thats kinda a bit wrong..Lapo even with ZC still relied and had the check down and dump off's to the RB's as his bread and butter...I doubt our RB's have had 30 catches total all year...total different philosophy

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I would take buck over lapo hands down. Buck has much greater potential to improve. But he still has a long way to go both as an oc and a coach in general. Plop is good at coaching players, better than buck is. Give buck another 2 or 3 years and hes probably our ast HC and top of the list for HC jobs around the league. I have very high hope for his ability to grow as a play caller and become an elite oc. 

Cant really compare 2019 to 2021. This season is the outlier of outliers. I deeply entrenched in the say no to plop movement. But he has a very strong reputation around the league and gets a lot of credit for what the bombers did. Buck also still heavily utilizes stuff he learned from plop. The jet sweep and motion, the route trees etc. The big difference is buck and collaros are aggressive. Plop and nichols werent, and didnt really have the ability to throw 50 yard ropes at will. 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Thats kinda a bit wrong..Lapo even with ZC still relied and had the check down and dump off's to the RB's as his bread and butter...I doubt our RB's have had 30 catches total all year...total different philosophy

The rb check down went from the hot route, to barely on the list. We block a lot more on passing downs with our backs now. Buck has made fantastic adjustments to the plop system. A lot of what we see in plops offense today, was here in 2002. Buck has progressed that system more in less than a full season than plop did in 19 years.  

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

I am not convinced that things would not have evolved more in 2021. Don't get me wrong, I think Buck has done a great job, but I think we all know the primary reason for the transformation on O.