2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Matty's point about Lokombo and Lambert getting all the stats because the O was hot steaming dog **** is an accurate one. **** every reporter who doesn't vote Demski for MOC, and to a lesser extent, Alford for MOR....man, I'm angry about this. 

Alford should be ROY. He came in and played a premium position and was probably the best player in the league. The problem is the corner isn't a big stats position and  these awards/all stars seem to be based off stats. 

An example of this is Nick Marshal. As a rider fan I think he is the worst player in our secondary. He doesn't tackle at all. gives up a couple big plays a game and is good for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike every couple weeks, but he is voted an all star because he does make a decent amount of picks and knockdowns. and thats what the voters look like. 

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

This is an excellent point. With the way the CFL has evolved into a 70 - 80% passing league - half back is the most important position on a CFL defense. 

Especially to the boundary side. Most teams have two stud players that play the X and S position. Corners and Boundary halfbacks have a big job. If i remember correctly Nichols has had success at both this year. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I gotta say, this thread shocks me with how vastly underrated Nic Demski is around these parts....

Funny you should say that, I was going to start a Demski appreciation thread earlier this week but got sidetracked by something shiny. I'm not sure if he's underappreciated but we don't, collectively, recognize him enough on this board, IMO. 

Wildly underappreciated around here. Next to Lucky, I don't think there's a better multi-purpose offensive player in the league. And, as with Lucky, can return kicks when needed (and is good at it). Can be used as a RB if needed, and often runs sweeps and screens. Insane to me that people aren't more angry about his snub today....

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Wildly underappreciated around here. Next to Lucky, I don't think there's a better multi-purpose offensive player in the league. And, as with Lucky, can return kicks when needed (and is good at it). Can be used as a RB if needed, and often runs sweeps and screens. Insane to me that people aren't more angry about his snub today....

Demski is the straw that stirs the drink. With out him what we do doesnt work. The jet sweep motion pulls defenders to the line and stretches them out. That opens running lanes. When the D is cheating hard to the run thats how we beat them and keep them honest. His ability to catch and run forces the defense to take good angles and not cheat on him too. His blocking is superb, and he runs as well as any bomber.  Even when he's away from the ball on plays, he's forcing the defense to give us better options. 

This year wouldve been a big coming out party for him. in 18 games he wouldve put up 1k yards. He's about to turn 28, and any of the next 3 or 4 years could be his best. 

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Demski is the straw that stirs the drink. With out him what we do doesnt work. The jet sweep motion pulls defenders to the line and stretches them out. That opens running lanes. When the D is cheating hard to the run thats how we beat them and keep them honest. His ability to catch and run forces the defense to take good angles and not cheat on him too. His blocking is superb, and he runs as well as any bomber.  Even when he's away from the ball on plays, he's forcing the defense to give us better options. 

This year wouldve been a big coming out party for him. in 18 games he wouldve put up 1k yards. He's about to turn 28, and any of the next 3 or 4 years could be his best. 

I wonder what the offensive numbers look like with him in compared to out of the line up.

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

I juat don't think Demski gets the love outside of the Peg that he gets here, so it would be harder.

I think Bomber fans know how important and what a beast Demski is

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

I fully admit to underappreciating him until I saw him out of the line up early this season.

I am now a believer.

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

Insane to me that people aren't more angry about his snub today....

1. To quote the Miller beer commercial: “I guess I’ve reached that age where I realize yelling at the TV screen isn’t going to change the ref’s call”

2. Whining about the injustice of a player snub seems like a Riderfans thing to do. 

2a. Since we dump all over the other fan bases and their media when they complain about their ignored players, I do not wish to be labelled a hypocrite for doing the same or delusional for overvaluing our player’s worth in others’ eyes like we do for them. 

3. Mike O’Shea preferred to not focus on the individual accolades and embraces the team. I am cool with that mentality.

4. There is only one award worth having, and I am sure Demski will put his full energy into defending ownership of that award Dec. 12.

But that is just me. Not objecting to your anger, I am sure it is enough to sustain the both of us, and your approach is valuable in the make-up of a good fan base. You do you, I will take the quiet path, and we can both be content. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

1. To quote the Miller beer commercial: “I guess I’ve reached that age where I realize yelling at the TV screen isn’t going to change the ref’s call”

2. Whining about the injustice of a player snub seems like a Riderfans thing to do. 

2a. Since we dump all over the other fan bases and their media when they complain about their ignored players, I do not wish to be labelled a hypocrite for doing the same or delusional for overvaluing our player’s worth in others’ eyes like we do for them. 

3. Mike O’Shea preferred to not focus on the individual accolades and embraces the team. I am cool with that mentality.

4. There is only one award worth having, and I am sure Demski will put his full energy into defending ownership of that award Dec. 12.

But that is just me. Not objecting to your anger, I am sure it is enough to sustain the both of us, and your approach is valuable in the make-up of a good fan base. You do you, I will take the quiet path, and we can both be content. 

The perceived snub and Harris not practising. It’s all in the hands of Allah. 

34 minutes ago, JCon said:

The Argos are the best in the East and a very mediocre team. Not particularly well coached. But, Rod will be Rod, which makes him as useless as a toothbrush in Saskatchewan. 

Hey Rod, tell me about the great coaching job he did against BC with that epic clock mismanagement that should have lost him the game. The most visible coaching he did this year was a massive f*ck up. 

“Useless as a toothbrush in Sask” - I may plagiarize that in the future, that is some solid work there. 

I think there's a case for RD as coach of the year, just like there's a (stronger) case for MOS.

But Rod's points don't make any sense.

For RD he pointed out that he - Took a new coaching staff to the top, were ALMOST undefeated at home. No one thought RD would work out as a HC before the year started.

He ignores that "new" coaching staff had heaps of experience. He was essentially gifted a playoff team via $$$ and he in fact did NOT go perfect at home. Had a few games in a row where he was badly out coached (which happens with Rookie HC).

MOS - Rookie OC that made the WPG offence more impressive than their GC winning one. WENT undefeated at home, No one thought WPG would be leading the Leading at the start of the year. Most had them around #3 in the West. Lost is MOP from 2019 for how many games now? 

So this new rule IS in effect this year. I'm not sure if the Bombers have needed to take advantage of it. 

From the article: "CFL teams have to start seven Canadian players at the beginning of each game, declaring a number on both offence and defence that cannot be reduced over the course of the contest. Under the current CBA, a veteran American player with three years of service on his team or four in the league may replace an injure Canadian starter - a rule that Hamilton has been accused of exploiting this season - but it appears their fancy substituting caught up with them in the regular season finale."

• Jpan85 featured and unfeatured this topic

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/01/insider-talk-head-coach-candidates-ottawas-gm-search-cfls-best-canadian-player/

A few interesting things...

If I were hiring a head coach my list of candidates would be (Calgary special teams coordinator and assistant head coach) Mark Kilam, (Ottawa special teams coordinator) Bob Dyce, (Hamilton defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach) Mark Washington, (Winnipeg offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach) Buck Pierce, and (Calgary offensive coordinator and offensive line coach) Pat DelMonaco.