2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Ohhh I see. They actually didn't want first place anyway:

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/28/roughriders-losing-out-on-first-place-could-be-blessing-in-disguise/

Sure as **** were not saying that in 2019. Interesting.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

That’s an awful article. Even if they win 42 percent of the time that’s close to a 50 percent chance of playing for the Grey cup opposed to having to win two games to make it to the Grey cup. If you look at those odds from purely just a statistical view that’s a 25 percent chance to make it to the Grey Cup. 

Getting some serious Brian Fantana vibes from 3DN...

paul-rudd-anchorman-the-legend-of-ron-bu

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

CFL is boring now, says long time Rider scrub... oops, I mean "scribe". 

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/rob-vanstone-all-is-not-swell-in-the-once-exciting-cfl

I have loved the Canadian Football League for 50 years, which makes the following sentence unpleasant to write — and, in all likelihood, to read. Canadian professional football has become an eyesore. The games are seldom compelling or entertaining. There is a somniferous sameness to the product, a problem that has also afflicted the NHL. Does every CFL team have the same playbook? It certainly appears that way. Defensive co-ordinators are unbending in their resolve to bend, but not break. As a result, what should be — and what used to be — a wide-open game has become a festival of hitch screens, slow-developing handoffs from the shotgun formation, and punts. The amateur game is alive and well, as evidenced by some recent shootouts in the Regina Intercollegiate Football League , Prairie Football Conference and Canada West, but the pros are ruining it for everyone.

"My team sucks so everything sucks" 

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/rob-vanstone-all-is-not-swell-in-the-once-exciting-cfl

I have loved the Canadian Football League for 50 years, which makes the following sentence unpleasant to write — and, in all likelihood, to read. Canadian professional football has become an eyesore. The games are seldom compelling or entertaining. There is a somniferous sameness to the product, a problem that has also afflicted the NHL. Does every CFL team have the same playbook? It certainly appears that way. Defensive co-ordinators are unbending in their resolve to bend, but not break. As a result, what should be — and what used to be — a wide-open game has become a festival of hitch screens, slow-developing handoffs from the shotgun formation, and punts. The amateur game is alive and well, as evidenced by some recent shootouts in the Regina Intercollegiate Football League , Prairie Football Conference and Canada West, but the pros are ruining it for everyone.

And to think, the Riders are still second in the division and all but guaranteed a playoff spot.

Buncha ******* whiners in the rectangle province.

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

3down has a similar article. I honestly agree. The all-star QBs the league had are aging out and we've yet to replace them. We continually ***** about the short-screen game that Fajardo plays, but who is the guy that can drive a passing attack like Khari or Calvillio? They don't exist anymore.

When the Bombers try to run a hurry up play, they're stopped by refs who don't set the ball for a minute+

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/26/the-cfl-has-an-entertainment-problem-and-theres-no-easy-solution/

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

3down has a similar article. I honestly agree. The all-star QBs the league had are aging out and we've yet to replace them. We continually ***** about the short-screen game that Fajardo plays, but who is the guy that can drive a passing attack like Khari or Calvillio? They don't exist anymore.

When the Bombers try to run a hurry up play, they're stopped by refs who don't set the ball for a minute+

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/26/the-cfl-has-an-entertainment-problem-and-theres-no-easy-solution/

That article is written by a Rider fan.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

just another reason to not cheer for a Bombers/Riders west final... I really hope Sask loses the WSF and then someone asks "how important do you think the bye is?"...

And if the Riders lose the WSF - "Why losing the WSF is a "blessing in disguise"....article we'll see on Monday.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers and QB Zach Collaros agree to restructured contract -  Winnipeg | Globalnews.ca

2 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I didn't ask any question.

Yes, apologies, thought you were the original post on this convo...my bad. 

I stand by my point - this conversation started as "who can drive a downfield passing attack?" and I fully believe Collaros can, whether you want to compare him to HOFers or not.....

19 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Love Zach but ..not even close to either of them.

He will be if he stays healthy and keeps producing the way he's been producing since 2019 till now.

The only thing that will stop him from being in the same conversation is injury and/or father time.

His career looked over but not so fast he said. 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yes, apologies, thought you were the original post on this convo...my bad. 

I stand by my point - this conversation started as "who can drive a downfield passing attack?" and I fully believe Collaros can, whether you want to compare him to HOFers or not.....

When Collaros wins the Grey Cup again this year he'll have just as many cups as Calvillo/Mitchell and two more than Jones big fat 0.

"not even close"? pffff.

put some ****ing respect on Collaros' name 

Edited by Dr Zaius

Just want to clarify my thoughts (for anyone who's new to this forum and doesn't know me...): 

-I've never been a big Calvillo fan, and believe there's never been a QB who benefitted more from the team/system around him than AC. 

-Khari Jones is my all time favourite Bombers QB (Matty D a close second, then Nichols) and regardless of GCs, is a worthy HOFer

Having said all that, Collaros isn't in the same conversation with those guys.......YET. But, as has been mentioned, if he wins the GC this year, on the heels of this remarkable season for the WBB FC...... he will certainly be in the conversation for the HOF, and having his name mentioned in the same circles as those other guys. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Just want to clarify my thoughts (for anyone who's new to this forum and doesn't know me...): 

-I've never been a big Calvillo fan, and believe there's never been a QB who benefitted more from the team/system around him than AC. 

-Khari Jones is my all time favourite Bombers QB (Matty D a close second, then Nichols) and regardless of GCs, is a worthy HOFer

Having said all that, Collaros isn't in the same conversation with those guys.......YET. But, as has been mentioned, if he wins the GC this year, on the heels of this remarkable season for the WBB FC...... he will certainly be in the conversation for the HOF, and having his name mentioned in the same circles as those other guys. 

Takes two gcs for Collaros to get into a tier with 3 guys who didn't win any and who probably won't have as many bomber play off wins combined. Pretty crazy though how far Collaros has risen in soo few games. 

Khari going into the hof and up on the ring will be a great day. 

36 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Both Calvillo and Khari had otherworldly receivers. Hard to make a comparison.

They also tossed a ton of picks in an era where dbs played man cover mostly and had to make great plays to get picks. Today's modern match zone and attack the ball would have them tossing 40 plus picks a year. 

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

this is when I said to myself; "Holy ****, we're going to win the Grey Cup this year".

My wife thinks that what collaros does is normal now. It might be the single most impressive play a bomber QB has ever made. Up there with the dozen or so other similar plays collaros has made like that since then. 

10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah, the fact that Collaros is the unquestioned MVP and our offence is the top of the league is the problem. 

I love our team - but these should not be league leading numbers on the offensive side of the ball.

On pace for 30 TDs vs 10 INT completing 71%  for 4634 yards are not MOP numbers?

On a first place team?