2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

Assuming many players are under one year contracts, I wonder if Bombers don't try and re-aquire Lucky from the Lions. Guy looked like he was close to tears during Sarah's interview.

Just because Lapo had no use for him doesn't mean long-ballers like Buck and ZC wouldn't salivate over the the prospect of using him the right way.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

8 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Assuming many players are under one year contracts, I wonder if Bombers don't try and re-aquire Lucky from the Lions. Guy looked like he was close to tears during Sarah's interview.

Just because Lapo had no use for him doesn't mean long-ballers like Buck and ZC wouldn't salivate over the the prospect of using him the right way.

I think his injury history is going to negate interest, unless money is right. He also seemed less than impressed that Winnipeg never reached out to him prior to FA. On CJOB he gave the impression he felt disrespected and unwanted. So I don't think there's a grand desire on either side...

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think his injury history is going to negate interest, unless money is right. He also seemed less than impressed that Winnipeg never reached out to him prior to FA. On CJOB he gave the impression he felt disrespected and unwanted. So I don't think there's a grand desire on either side...

In an interview earlier this season, Whitehead said that the Bombers showed no interest in re-signing him. There may be issues we know nothing about.

38 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

MOS would have a similar record to PLAP with that team. I give you MOS' first two seasons as 'proof'.

I agree. That team does not have the talent level to win. I don't know if Lapo is part of the problem or not but judging their talent level is very easy. It's non existent.

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

The problem is it’s been heavily documented that Lapo has a lot to do with the talent level 

I imagine like any HC he has input into what players the team goes after, and we even saw some of that here (Jade Etienne) but at the end of the day it is the GMs job to sign and retain talent. I can't imagine that Lapo wanted the dog's breakfast that is the Ottawa OL, or the complete lack of NAT talent on the roster. I agree that he likely was part of the Nichols conversation/decision, Tim Flanders, and the all rookie receiving corps but with or without these guys that offence was doomed behind a pitiful OL. That being said it does seem troubling that Lapo seems to be able to call his shots in many circumstances and does not appear to be a particularly good judge of talent.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, Mike said:

The problem is it’s been heavily documented that Lapo has a lot to do with the talent level 

If we are to believe Desjardins.     I'm  50/50 if he's telling the truth or throwing others under the bus for his  incompetence.  

42 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If we are to believe Desjardins.     I'm  50/50 if he's telling the truth or throwing others under the bus for his  incompetence.  

There were a couple of mentions about this on 3downnation well before Desjardins got fired. 

"You media guys make it seem like GMs have all the power, but coaches always want at least some say in the roster. Some want a lot of say. (Ottawa Redblacks’ head coach) Paul LaPolice is one of those guys."

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

There were a couple of mentions about this on 3downnation well before Desjardins got fired. 

"You media guys make it seem like GMs have all the power, but coaches always want at least some say in the roster. Some want a lot of say. (Ottawa Redblacks’ head coach) Paul LaPolice is one of those guys."

Seconded by Naylor. Lapo want a lot of say especially on their QB situation. 

21 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I mean, obviously?

But I care less about the guys that Lapo brought in and more about the guys that left over the last two seasons before Lapo.

43 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I mean, obviously?

But I care less about the guys that Lapo brought in and more about the guys that left over the last two seasons before Lapo.

How does the world keep giving an offensive guru a pass for never developing a quarterback and never running an efficient or good offense as a head coach?

Again, 4 full or partial seasons as a head coach and worst or 2nd worst offense in all major categories in all of them, even the Grey Cup team in 2011.

Even with the 2011 season included a historically awful win percentage among head coaches all-time and particularly with the number of games he's coached in this generation.

If you owned or ran a CFL team how would you have any confidence going into 2022 with Lapolice as your head coach?

As a counter, Dave Dickenson can throw a raw rookie QB out there and win games, compete.  He's done it multiple times in a similar length of career as a head coach.  Khari is winning with multiple QB's.  Hamilton puts anyone out at QB and competes.  Why does Lapo have such difficulty? 

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

As a counter, Dave Dickenson can throw a raw rookie QB out there and win games, compete.  He's done it multiple times in a similar length of career as a head coach.  Khari is winning with multiple QB's.  Hamilton puts anyone out at QB and competes.  Why does Lapo have such difficulty? 

I generally agree with your takes on Lapo. But this isn't at all a fair comparison lol. Dickenson has never had to take over a Dumpster fire team. Comparing what CGY is (was?) and what Lapo has had to work with just isn't fair. It's bordering on apples to oranges imo.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

I generally agree with your takes on Lapo. But this isn't at all a fair comparison lol. Dickenson has never had to take over a Dumpster fire team. Comparing what CGY is (was?) and what Lapo has had to work with just isn't fair. It's bordering on apples to oranges imo.

Sure, but BLM goes down and the next guy is ready to play, even a raw rookie.  Regardless of the whole team, who is one QB that you could say Lapolice developed into a reasonable CFL quarterback?

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Does no one remember when O’Shea hired lapo all the talk from lapo about wanting more say on the players he had on offense? He basically implied Mack didn't give him the input he wanted when he was head coach here and he didn't want to go through that again. (More evidence of his arrogance) so he clearly got some more saying Ottawa and it doesn't look good on him. 

Lapo has some definite strengths. But he also has some weaknesses that hold him back as a coach. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sure, but BLM goes down and the next guy is ready to play, even a raw rookie.  Regardless of the whole team, who is one QB that you could say Lapolice developed into a reasonable CFL quarterback?

The only potential one is Darian Durant but I'm not totally sure on his early story with the riders.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He's ready to go and play because of the team around him. Not because he's been developed. How has Arbuckle faired since leaving? Or basically any other back up from CGY? It takes more than a QB to win. Dickenson was a part of developing that team over the years. and then became a HC of a championship calibre team when Huff stepped down. He didn't have to start from scratch like Lapo has.

Shouldn't Ottawa keep PLAP for 6 years even if he doesn't make the playoffs in the first two years or win a playoff game until year 5? Surely it will pay off with a Grey Cup run in year 6 followed by a dominant team in year 7. For it is known that patience is the key. 😁

Lapo has a .18 winning percentage this year, he'd have 6.5 wins so lets say 7 over two years, MOS had 12 his first two years. I'd argue MOS did do better in a dumpster fire situation.

Steinhauer is a defensive guy but his time has won not only with Masoli and Evans this year but Watford. Khari has won with Adams and Shiltz this year. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

He's ready to go and play because of the team around him. Not because he's been developed. How has Arbuckle faired since leaving? Or basically any other back up from CGY? It takes more than a QB to win. Dickenson was a part of developing that team over the years. and then became a HC of a championship calibre team when Huff stepped down. He didn't have to start from scratch like Lapo has.

The main problem in Ottawa was not having a QB or an offense.  They hired Lapo, he had two offseasons and this is what he puts on the field.  They are worse today than they were when he was hired.

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The main problem in Ottawa was not having a QB or an offense.  They hired Lapo, he had two offseasons and this is what he puts on the field.  They are worse today than they were when he was hired.

Again I agree. I just thought the comparison to Dickenson didn't work.

39 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Is it possible that Desjardins is one of the bigger names that leak info to 3downnation?   Maybe that's why they slant more of the negatives towards LaPo?

I find them a lot more negative toward Desjardins than most, deservedly so as someone who is quite pompous along with having questionable competence.

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

How does the world keep giving an offensive guru a pass for never developing a quarterback and never running an efficient or good offense as a head coach?

Again, 4 full or partial seasons as a head coach and worst or 2nd worst offense in all major categories in all of them, even the Grey Cup team in 2011.

Even with the 2011 season included a historically awful win percentage among head coaches all-time and particularly with the number of games he's coached in this generation.

If you owned or ran a CFL team how would you have any confidence going into 2022 with Lapolice as your head coach?

Simple answer would be that LaPo isn't a qb. He doesn't talk their language or knows truly what they go through or see on the field as he was a receiver in college. Jacques Chapdelaine was the same. He was never a qb but a slot at SFU & in the CFL. Buck & Dickenson know what a qb needs to succeed. LaPo may think he does as well but he doesn't.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

My biggest knock on Lapo isn't his ability to coach. We saw what he can do at the end of last year when he has the personnel. I think he overestimates his ability to take a diamond in the rough and make it shine. He seems to favor measurables way too highly at the expense of actual football IQ. He feels he can skip steps in development and get the most out of raw players immediately. He needs a GM who will give him a club heavy on veteran talent and with guidelines on player development. He seems to miss the signals of young players beginning to lose confidence. He is an X's and O's guy and is a very good strategist but he is not a player's coach, tries to be, but ends up falling flat because he does it the wrong way by throwing players to the wolves too early. Buck runs almost the same offence as Lapo just less conservatively. His plays work, his use of progressions are excellent, he just doesn't have the total package to run a room at this point.