2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

17 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Didn’t Goveia decline the Als GM position last season? Tough to imagine someone turning down Montreal only to take on the mess in Ottawa. 

I suspect he may be in the running for the far more desirable Lk’s position after Sunderland gets heaved. He will also get to pick his own HC because Elizondo ain’t gonna last either. 

Pretty sure it was Rigmaiden who declined the Als and honestly I would think McManus might get a shot before Goveia.

14 hours ago, BomberfanMKS said:

BA's had a number of those this season.... he's so good at timing the snap.

There was one where he forced a fumble getting to the QB before he was able to finish handing off the ball in a shotgun-handoff.

Richie Hall ran this same blitz. sometimes with the safety,  regularly when he was DC in Saskatchewan.

Edited by GCn20

20 minutes ago, Albertabomberguy said:

The Toronto Argonauts have traded quarterback Nick Arbuckle to the Edmonton Elks, per sources.

In exchange for Arbuckle the Argos receive a third round selection in the 2022 CFL Draft which could be upgraded to a second round choice if the 28-year-old re-signs in the Alberta Capital.

On 2021-10-25 at 7:22 AM, rebusrankin said:

Interesting that they didn't give Marcel till season's end before doing this. Lapo to TSN for 2022?

Why wait? Once you have determined a GM is crap there is no point holding onto him any longer. Coaches are different, it's tough to make a mid season change and probably won't help anything competitively but replacing your GM is something that should be done at the soonest point it becomes apparent it is necessary. Lots of groundwork can be done right now to set up the future.

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The Toronto Argonauts have traded quarterback Nick Arbuckle to the Edmonton Elks, per sources.

In exchange for Arbuckle the Argos receive a third round selection in the 2022 CFL Draft which could be upgraded to a second round choice if the 28-year-old re-signs in the Alberta Capital.

Wow....that's cheap. Not a QB seller market this year.

21 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Just in time for the Riders to play them twice. Arby won’t save their season but he could make it difficult for some teams as they jockey into those final positions. 

Can't wait to hear the excuses and ya buts when the Elks win one of those games with Arbuckle at QB. It will go something along the lines of it's not fair that we have to play them after they get a franchise QB. 

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Wow....that's cheap. Not a QB seller market this year.

I think the trade is fair for both side.

Edmonton need a experienced QB other than what they have now. And Arbuckle will be their most experienced QB and have won games. 

On the other hand, Arbuckle never really established himself as the bonafide starter in Toronto and was beaten by McBeth. It's been known for few weeks now that Argos is shopping him. 

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/26/during-his-time-in-ottawa-lazy-narratives-emerged-about-former-redblacks-gm-marcel-desjardins/

I'm pretty sure this was already posted but 3downnation really throwing all the blame on LaPo for this season.   

More recently, Desjardins went out of his way to provide Paul LaPolice with players he was familiar with. The jettisoning of Nick Arbuckle in favour of Matt Nichols came at the request of his head coach. Running back Timothy Flanders, receiver Daniel Petermann and tackles Na’Ty Rodgers and Juwan Bushell-Beatty were all with LaPolice in Winnipeg. All have been negative impact players in Ottawa.

After Brad Sinopoli retired, per sources, Ottawa’s front office felt uncomfortable with the youth at the position and wanted to add veterans. LaPolice informed Desjardins he didn’t want to add names like S.J. Green, Ricky Collins and Naaman Roosevelt because his offence didn’t need veteran receivers to be effective.

41 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Duane Forde is interested in RedBlacks' vacant GM position. I would think he's OK with Lapo as the HC if ever he gets that job. 

Is there a CFL job Forde isn't interested in? That's quite a step down from the commissioner duties he wanted though. Honestly though, seems like every time a GM spot opens up the media bandies around his name as a dark horse and he promptly doesn't get a sniff.

57 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I think the trade is fair for both side.

Edmonton need a experienced QB other than what they have now. And Arbuckle will be their most experienced QB and have won games. 

On the other hand, Arbuckle never really established himself as the bonafide starter in Toronto and was beaten by McBeth. It's been known for few weeks now that Argos is shopping him. 

Arbuckle is getting paid big loot and just wasn't consistent enough to beat out MBT. However, he still represents a big upgrade for Edmonton.

Edited by GCn20

57 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Arbuckle must really be a dink if nobody wants to keep him around.   

Dressing room and SMS move for sure, but not because Arbuckle is a dink though. QB controversies can be tough in a locker room and Dinwiddie likely just wanted to end it in Toronto and give MBT a vote of confidence heading down the stretch.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Arbuckle must really be a dink if nobody wants to keep him around.   

Or not vaxxed 

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Duane Forde is interested in RedBlacks' vacant GM position. I would think he's OK with Lapo as the HC if ever he gets that job. 

Yes keep the coach who the gm u just fired for being incompetent hired. 

I mean 

The lapo love needs to end. It's quite apparent he's not a good head coach 

Ottawa needs a complete and total retooling top to bottom. 

Only coach I'd keep is Dyce at this moment. 

Lapo Benevides to TsN 

a lot of you have a much higher opinion of Arbuckle than I do. Other than a couple games in Calgary's system last year, and catching us on our worst day this year....what exactly has he done? He's looked shitty more often than he's looked good since leaving Calgary. I don't know that he really does much for the L'ks....

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Or not vaxxed 

Yes keep the coach who the gm u just fired for being incompetent hired. 

I mean 

The lapo love needs to end. It's quite apparent he's not a good head coach 

Ottawa needs a complete and total retooling top to bottom. 

Only coach I'd keep is Dyce at this moment. 

Lapo Benevides to TsN 

From the news yesterday, the RedBlacks wants to keep Lapo. Added to the fact that there's a personnel cap space they're considering. 
So it would really make sense for them hire a GM that will agree on keeping Lapo. 

Does it make sense for us? No. Do we care? No. 

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Lapo is 18 and 37 as a head coach, 8 and 29 if you take out 2011. Guy is not a good head coach.

Why would you take out 2011? If he owns the losses he also owns the wins. It's only fair. He got a crap team in 2010 and again this year in Ottawa. I'm not suggesting he is a great HC, far from it, but one has to admit he has walked into two HC jobs on teams that were a dumpster fire.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Why would you take out 2011? If he owns the losses he also owns the wins. It's only fair. He got a crap team in 2010 and again this year in Ottawa. I'm not suggesting he is a great HC, far from it, but one has to admit he has walked into two HC jobs on teams that were a dumpster fire.

My point was that he has a lousy record and its even worse if you take out the one good season meaning he's generally been pretty bad. If Marcel's comments are true about bringing in guys Lapo wanted and him not wanting vets at WR, it shows the arrogance that others have mentioned.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

My point was that he has a lousy record and its even worse if you take out the one good season meaning he's generally been pretty bad. If Marcel's comments are true about bringing in guys Lapo wanted and him not wanting vets at WR, it shows the arrogance that others have mentioned.

Desjardins has done no work for years and the team shows it. He's arrogant.