2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Fired, it sounds like. I don't think TSN factors the CFL into these decisions, only the NBA broadcasts. 

If Black was fired, TSN would not give him their Twitter feed to announce he was leaving. What I wonder is if he senses another slashing of staff and is getting out early. Like Cuthbert or Paul Edmonds before him, saw the implosion coming and got out before the axe fell on many. 

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

well if this leads to Chris Cuthbert coming back I'm all in.  TSN is shedding people like crazy.  What happened to O'Toole?  Onrait just looks lost now without his buddy.

O’Toole was let go as part of the overall downsizing, but he also had a very public incident where we went on Twitter and basically accused his estranged wife of kidnapping their daughter and putting their life in danger. No charges came from any of it, but his mental health was put into question, and he took a “health leave” shortly thereafter. He then made a big stink on his way out the door about how Bell Media made a big show about “Let’s Talk” day, but was two-faced and insincere when it came to actually backing it up with real people. 

That was the same time Natasha Stanizewski was let go. Details are sketchy but it might have something to do with her continually crashing parties, first with McCain wedges and now as some kind of gambling racket. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That was the same time Natasha Stanizewski was let go. Details are sketchy but it might have something to do with her continually crashing parties, first with McCain wedges and now as some king of gambling racket. 

I'm afraid that I don't really understand the lingo.  "Crashing parties"?  What are McCain wedges?  

She was on a flight with me back in 2019 from Toronto to Kelowna.  Sat one row behind me.  I was going to say "Hey there Natasha!" while stowing my bag in the overhead but she gave me this look of death before I could say anything so I didn't bother.  LOL

9 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm afraid that I don't really understand the lingo.  "Crashing parties"?  What are McCain wedges?  

She was on a flight with me back in 2019 from Toronto to Kelowna.  Sat one row behind me.  I was going to say "Hey there Natasha!" while stowing my bag in the overhead but she gave me this look of death before I could say anything so I didn't bother.  LOL

It’s a joke.

She did those McCain commercials where she wanted to be invited to watch the big game but did not have an invitation, so would bake McCain wedge fries and then show up at the door plate in hand hoping the food would get her in the door. 

Now she is doing the “Come on!” Gambling site commercials on Sportsnet where everyone is watching TV yelling “Come on!” At the TV screen and then she yells it and they look at her like “who the **** let her in here?”  

200.gif

40 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If Black was fired, TSN would not give him their Twitter feed to announce he was leaving. What I wonder is if he senses another slashing of staff and is getting out early. Like Cuthbert or Paul Edmonds before him, saw the implosion coming and got out before the axe fell on many. 

O’Toole was let go as part of the overall downsizing, but he also had a very public incident where we went on Twitter and basically accused his estranged wife of kidnapping their daughter and putting their life in danger. No charges came from any of it, but his mental health was put into question, and he took a “health leave” shortly thereafter. He then made a big stink on his way out the door about how Bell Media made a big show about “Let’s Talk” day, but was two-faced and insincere when it came to actually backing it up with real people. 

That was the same time Natasha Stanizewski was let go. Details are sketchy but it might have something to do with her continually crashing parties, first with McCain wedges and now as some king of gambling racket. 

So pleasing to the eye, but marginal talent. (Not talking about Dan)

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

So the ticats are getting to host the 2023 AND 2021 grey cup. WHAT THE F^%&!

Because this year is a bit of a **** show with the COVID regulations, they wanted a "normal" year to host, and were granted it. I don't really have a problem with that. BC or Winnipeg should be 2024, though. Both are next up on the West side of the docket...then likely TO on the East side, if they're still in the league....

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Because this year is a bit of a **** show with the COVID regulations, they wanted a "normal" year to host, and were granted it. I don't really have a problem with that. BC or Winnipeg should be 2024, though. Both are next up on the West side of the docket...then likely TO on the East side, if they're still in the league....

Montreal hasnt hosted since 08 and has only hosted twice since 85. Bc hasnt hosted in 7 years. Putting the game in the big o and having the new owners spruce it up a little would be way better. Not to mention itd help jump start their efforts to rebuild the brand. 

Lots of teams lost money last year. Hamilton is one franchise that doesnt have to worry about money. And, its the worst city and stadium in the cfl. 2 grey cups in 3 years only serves to dilute that market for hosting. Its a stupid ass pick. Especially considering the restrictions in the east. 

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Montreal hasnt hosted since 08 and has only hosted twice since 85. Bc hasnt hosted in 7 years. Putting the game in the big o and having the new owners spruce it up a little would be way better. Not to mention itd help jump start their efforts to rebuild the brand. 

Lots of teams lost money last year. Hamilton is one franchise that doesnt have to worry about money. And, its the worst city and stadium in the cfl. 2 grey cups in 3 years only serves to dilute that market for hosting. Its a stupid ass pick. Especially considering the restrictions in the east. 

Where would Montreal host it? I think the O is out now, right? 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

https://leaderpost.com/opinion/opinion-in-canada-a-cfl-malaise-symbolizes-a-nation-thats-lost-its-mojo

What a terrible article. Wow, I mean an all time stinker. 

"On a warm Sunday afternoon in early September, the 2021 game was played in Regina’s beautiful new Mosaic Stadium , one of North America’s best venues."

It goes on to say the rider fan base is the perfect mix of diversity, from gender to race. It paints a picture of the league and country falling apart as the riders lost. As if "canadas team" and their false hope held the league and country together. And it just drones on and on and on. 

What a dumpster fire of an article. 

On 2021-10-12 at 8:44 AM, itchy said:

I'm with others on this one;

- Hands are kind of important to receivers, he wasn't even using it when testing it.

- Not sure how you tape or support those broken bones where they were.

- they never even looked his way after anyways. You don't have anyone else to put out there?

- medical staff should have stepped in the name of safety. I get the player doing whatever they can, but at some point cooler, more educated heads need to step in, just like they do with concussions.

Players played with broken bones & concussions back in the day. They kept playing as they just got their bell rung. Suck it up. The stuff of legends. Tough as nails. Thirty years later they're in a wheelchair or don't recognize their loved ones anymore. The good old days sometimes weren't the good old days. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Where would Montreal host it? I think the O is out now, right? 

The owners of the big owe are trying to get an NFL game for next year (or at least they were earlier this year) so I don't see why a CFL game isn't possible.

"We're always open for opportunities to host sporting events," Alain Larochelle, vice-president of business development for Olympic Stadium operator Olympic Park, said in a statement. "The Montreal Olympic Stadium has a rich history with North American football, especially with the CFL, the Grey Cup and the Montreal Alouettes, who still hold the record for the largest sport attendance in the history of the stadium.

"We would be very interested in hosting an NFL game and we are eager to show the numerous planned investments and the many possibilities of the Montreal Olympic Stadium to the promoters around the globe."

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-s-olympic-stadium-expresses-interest-in-hosting-nfl-games-1.1616317  

Anyone here remember the great Don Luzzi? He was a perennial all star DT & OL  in the 50's & 60's. His son who is a friend of mine was telling me in 1968 he was chopped by the Riders OL. One guy stood him up & another chopped him low. He tore his MCL & ACL. He missed the remainder of that game but he put on a brace & they taped him up. Took a bunch of powerful painkillers a teammate would give him & played on it the rest of the 1968 season in pain. Including playoffs & Grey Cup. Never missed a snap. 

5 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

He then made a big stink on his way out the door about how Bell Media made a big show about “Let’s Talk” day, but was two-faced and insincere when it came to actually backing it up with real people. 

To be fair Bell took 123 million in Canada emergency wage subsidy before laying off employees and raising their dividend rate on their stock. Maybe not smart on O'Toole's part, but criticism has definitely been well earned.

42 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

big o would still be in play from every thing i understand. 

Last I heard is there were concerns with the roof supporting a big dumping of snow. Not sure if they worked on the issue the past few years. 

I was at that 2008 Grey Cup and the Big O was in disarray back then. I can't imagine they what state the stadium is in now. 

6 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Weird timing.  Just on Monday he was talking about how great the Thanksgiving turkey was that he and Forde were eating during the Montreal game.  And now he's just gone?  What?  In the middle of the season?

Where are the plaudits from his TSN colleagues? He's been there long enough that there should be plenty of tweets of congratulation.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

isn't Montreal splitting MLB games with Tampa next year? Where are they going to do that if not at Big O? 

They can use the stadium, just not during the winter.

A quick Google search says the stadium has to close when there is 3 cm of snow on the roof.

They are supposed to be replacing the roof and for it to ready in a couple of years. I don't have a lot of faith in that timeline. Montreal has withdrawn from being considered to host 2026 World Cup games so that removes a deadline for the construction to be completed by.

3 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Where are the plaudits from his TSN colleagues? He's been there long enough that there should be plenty of tweets of congratulation.

all over Twitter today....an endless barrage of tweets talking about what an incredible person and broadcaster he is. 

4 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

That's Bell Media. Look what they did to TSN 1290... Just classless. I imagine he was told he was being laid off & they gave him a retirement package or be fired. I never liked Rod as a pbp announcer as I thought his talents were better suited elsewhere. Like he should have hosted the panel on TSN. He would have done agreat job. I never wanted him fired.