2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yep. some one should buy him a copy of "leaders eat last" by simon sinek. Or just tell him to stop being a selfish child. w/e. 

Here, fifo serves as a check and balance system. If some ones ego got to big, itd be checked or they'd be replaced. ssk doesnt have that. In fact no other team in the league imo, has a winners culture.

Other teams can (but seldom are) out coach us, out athletic us, they could take away our run game, or pressure, but no team can out work or the bombers. Because every guy on the roster will do the little things to make their team mates better and work together in every aspect. 

You look at guys that were called out on their dedication at times like Willie J in Sask, or Andrew Harris in BC, and see what our culture has woken up in them. Amazing what a good locker room can do to motivate each other and now these guys are leaders on our team. Then you take a guy like Chris Streveler for instance, how can any team mate look himself in the mirror and not give up his body 100% after watching that guy.

Just now, GCn20 said:

You look at guys that were called out on their dedication at times like Willie J in Sask, or Andrew Harris in BC, and see what our culture has woken up in them. Amazing what a good locker room can do to motivate each other and now these guys are leaders on our team. Then you take a guy like Chris Streveler for instance, how can any team mate look himself in the mirror and not give up his body 100% after watching that guy.

I think high motor, highly competitive people in toxic situations or situations with out real leadership can be viewed with those questions at times. People who are complacent in a toxic/absentee leadership situation are people who dont want the work and responsibility. Guys like WJ and harris wanted to win. Some times when a winner is stuck on a loser you see flair ups. I cant say for sure thats what it is, but I can see that being it. 

They certainly have bought into and support the culture. And when your coach, and your star players do it, it is much easier to sell to new guys. 

23 hours ago, wbbfan said:

He's like chris streveler, with no ***** heart. And no deep ball. Streveler played on a broken ankle and didnt complain. 

I literally get emotional when I think about Streveler's play in 2019... especially in the playoffs... With a nearly broken ankle, he was truckin guys AND out-running them... would not take a play off, no matter what... that guy was absolute heart and soul... even if he never plays another snap for the Bombers... he's already a legend in Winnipeg... Also had more TD passes in the GC than Zach 😁

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I literally get emotional when I think about Streveler's play in 2019... especially in the playoffs... With a nearly broken ankle, he was truckin guys AND out-running them... would not take a play off, no matter what... that guy was absolute heart and soul... even if he never plays another snap for the Bombers... he's already a legend in Winnipeg... Also had more TD passes in the GC than Zach 😁

If anyone never read Paul Friesen’s Winnipeg Sun series on the Grey Cup run, his book “Against All Odds” on sale at the Bomber Store gives a really neat insider account of how it went down, and gives some great insight into just how tough it was for Streveler. And for those who aren’t fans of Friesen’s writing (it can be somewhat simplistic here too, remember that he has word counts with his articles, unlike my posts, lol!) I understand that some of the proceeds go to a good cause. 

37 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If anyone never read Paul Friesen’s Winnipeg Sun series on the Grey Cup run, his book “Against All Odds” on sale at the Bomber Store gives a really neat insider account of how it went down, and gives some great insight into just how tough it was for Streveler. And for those who aren’t fans of Friesen’s writing (it can be somewhat simplistic here too, remember that he has word counts with his articles, unlike my posts, lol!) I understand that some of the proceeds go to a good cause. 

I've never seen a player like Streveler. On paper, statistically, if you didn't know the Bombers, didn't do much. But as a Bomber fan, his on field impact, what he brought to the team, how badly he wanted to win - absolutely legendary, and such a key part of the Grey Cup season. I've said it before, one of the best football players (not QB) I've ever seen. Every player, coach, fan would love to have him on their team. 

Redblacks receivers coach Alex Suber is indefinitely gone from being around the team. Head coach Paul LaPolice said: “He was advised by his doctor not to follow the policies of OSEG, so he’s working from home.” OSEG has a policy that employees get vaccinated.

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/08/redblacks-alex-suber-advised-by-doctor-not-to-follow-oseg-vaccination-policy-working-from-home/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=redblacks-alex-suber-advised-by-doctor-not-to-follow-oseg-vaccination-policy-working-from-home

Edited by M.O.A.B.

41 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

I've never seen a player like Streveler. On paper, statistically, if you didn't know the Bombers, didn't do much. But as a Bomber fan, his on field impact, what he brought to the team, how badly he wanted to win - absolutely legendary, and such a key part of the Grey Cup season. I've said it before, one of the best football players (not QB) I've ever seen. Every player, coach, fan would love to have him on their team. 

Pains me to say it, but because of the cup, he’s surpassed Mike Sellars as #1 bulldozer/folk hero. 

On 2021-10-07 at 11:14 AM, wbbfan said:

Other teams can (but seldom are) out coach us, out athletic us, they could take away our run game, or pressure, but no team can out work or the bombers. Because every guy on the roster will do the little things to make their team mates better and work together in every aspect. 

one of my favorite bomber plays from the Canadian Mafia era is a pick by Randle or Leggett from 2016ish.  Every bomber on the field except for the far corner threw at least one block on the return, some guys multiple blocks. It was just an absolute freight train of Blue n' Gold flying roaring down the field. I've posted it here before, wonder if I can find it again.

If I had more time I'd do a Block of the Week feature because that's part of the game that I don't see highlighted enough, especially with the blocking receivers we have.  Adams in particular eats em up.

Just now, johnzo said:

one of my favorite bomber plays from the Canadian Mafia era is a pick by Randle or Leggett from 2016ish.  Every bomber on the field except for the far corner threw at least one block on the return, some guys multiple blocks. It was just an absolute freight train of Blue n' Gold flying roaring down the field. I've posted it here before, wonder if I can find it again.

If I had more time I'd do a Block of the Week feature because that's part of the game that I don't see highlighted enough, especially with the blocking receivers we have.  Adams in particular eats em up.

100%. Block of the week is a great idea, the crusher by desjarlais and couture last week would be it for sure in the last game. 

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

15 players stashed on the 6 game injured list...kinda makes you go hmmmmm...in regards to Riders trying to skirt roster issues....again...doesn't it?

Geoff Gray has sat on our injured list all season to hide him. All teams do it, if the league had a real problem with it they’d crack down. Just like the soft penalties for salary cap violations, they don’t really care. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Geoff Gray has sat on our injured list all season to hide him. All teams do it, if the league had a real problem with it they’d crack down. Just like the soft penalties for salary cap violations, they don’t really care. 

Gray has been the game day scratch all year so he hasn't been on the injured list this season.

I haven't noticed the Bombers putting "healthy" players on the injured list this season but that may change with more players getting healthy.

They have used the injured lists to stash players in the past however it didnt seem to be a chronic issue.

32 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Gray has been the game day scratch all year so he hasn't been on the injured list this season.

I haven't noticed the Bombers putting "healthy" players on the injured list this season but that may change with more players getting healthy.

They have used the injured lists to stash players in the past however it didnt seem to be a chronic issue.

The Bombers definitely use the 1 game injured list to hide players, but not Gray, as you pointed out.

15 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The Bombers definitely use the 1 game injured list to hide players, but not Gray, as you pointed out.

This season though? This is the injury list from last week (didn't see one from this week). Only Brown and Hallett were on the 1 game.

Edited by WinnipegGordo

5 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

This season though? This is the injury list from last week (didn't see one from this week). Only Brown and Hallett were on the 1 game.

I would have to go back and take a look but I know I have seen a few that definitely seemed to fall in that category. I thought someone tried to take our guy off the league CV-19 list and we put him on the one game. 

It was a pretty widely known and just accepted prsctice (for some reason) I am not sure why teams would stop this year.

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

ah here it is.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2338/bc-lions-vs-winnipeg-blue-bombers

Leggett pick is around 2:03. 

This was a corker of a game.  Nichols and Jennings were both at their career bests, Rory K threw a TD pass, Burnham was over 200 yards, and the good guys won in a nailbiter.  I miss these kinds of games.

On 2021-10-08 at 7:36 PM, johnzo said:

ah here it is.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2338/bc-lions-vs-winnipeg-blue-bombers

Leggett pick is around 2:03. 

This was a corker of a game.  Nichols and Jennings were both at their career bests, Rory K threw a TD pass, Burnham was over 200 yards, and the good guys won in a nailbiter.  I miss these kinds of games.

Leggett was probably my favourite player for a while. Leaves a real sour taste in my mouth the way he went out and was pretty critical of the team at a time when we were actually doing the right things as an organization.

I miss all the trickery we used to do and we usually seemed to have a big edge on special teams back then. In those days we would never be outplayed on special teams and we'd usually have a trick up our sleeves. I'm guessing we don't really take as many risks now because our team is that good that we assume that our offense and defense will take care of business and our special teams just needs to be average to get the W. Not complaining, just interesting how we have evolved as an organization.