2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

12 hours ago, johnzo said:

I go the other way.  Have never seen a QB singlehandedly win a game like Reilly did against us in 2014.  Dude has a gift for being able to carry a team.

plus, Reilly is so dangerous running, and BLM doesn't really have that tool, he can do okay but he's not someone you have to game plan around.  At his height Reilly would destroy teams that didn't spy him and I think that's a pain in the ass for defences to always have to sacrifice a linebacker just to watch what the QB does  .. especially against a team with a great passing game.

No rust on BLM, I think he's a great athlete and he belongs in the Hall of Fame based on his won-loss record alone -- you can say what you want about how good the Calgary program is, but it all starts with him and during his glory years I think he was full value for that win-loss record.  But if I get to draft first overall in the twenty-teens I'm taking Reilly.

That's fair. I just always lean more towards the ball control QB. 

And no, BLMs more effective ball control is not just because of the system Calgary uses.

Reilly is just less of a ball control QB - that's just who he is and how he plays.

12 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I am in the Reilly camp. If I had to win just one game, I'm rolling with Reilly 100%, especially in his prime running days. He could lose a leg and still be fighting for yards. The guy is an absolute trooper

Some people would say they don't want their QB playing that way, due to injury risk.

But then, the guy who has played more cautiously and always had a good OL - is currently the one on the shelf

It's just interesting how these things unfold. 

Reilly is the best long ball passer I've ever seen play in the CFL but he had some GREAT receivers in Edmonton for him to do that like Zylstra, Walker & Ellingson. He doesn't have the same level of receivers in BC although they're good. Mitchell spreads the ball around to his receivers. That's his style. He used to be an extremely accurate passer. He doesn't throw the long ball as well as Reilly but he can push it deep & he does. He too, benefitted from (perhaps) the best receiving corps in the CFL, as well. I really can't say which qb I'd take in their primes as they both were very good.  

15 hours ago, johnzo said:

what play do you call on O there?  the other team likely has their heavies in as well, so it's not a giant mismatch unless you're passing, unless I'm missing something.

For me Id call an RPO (run pass option). Inside or outside zone run with an audible to switch from one to the other. One wr in isolation (lawler) on one side and trips to the other side. He can run an option route where he either finds the soft spot in the zone, or runs a deep double move in single coverage. Thing about zone cover is if you run deep enough it becomes man or youre wide open. The isolation also helps to expose the Ds cover scheme  to an extent (Instead of just with motion), or play a hybrid man and zone.

On the trips side if the defense stacks the box you can flex the TE (eli) out to wr and throw a screen pass with darvin, woli, and eli blocking. If they show Double or even S shade to lawler or play cover 3 you run the ball. You can even motion woli in for extra blocking or have him run to block a Lber. You can run portions or all of the snag concept in the RPO to create a quick high percentage throw on the 3 wide side. If the dbs stack up front you go over the top of them. If the HB/hbs stay deep you have a big screen play advantage.

If the D cheats to any thing with its alignment you audible to attack the opening. With a heavy line, and an un balanced split spread formation they have to give up some thing. Man to man on the iso, limited over the top on the trips, not enough bodies at the line for the screen, or bodies in the middle to fill gaps. 

Normally Ds might have a complex scheme like rotating coverage, but in a hurry up that isnt likely, and if it happens it isnt as likely to be effective. Its hard to call that in at the line. Usually you see base defenses vs hurry up. Either blitzing or dropping. 

The goal is to get an extra OL on the field that creates a miss match. But even running the hurry up with coverage line up dictating play call / audible can leave a D reeling. And with a guy like Eli who is a 2nd level monster with great mobility you have a considerable miss match vs the 5th DL in virtually any team.

You can also do that with out the OL and use woli as a regular flex TE. Sam is the hardest position on the field to play. Even the better sam lbers in the league arent guys you want in the box getting hit by a level jumping OL. 

15 hours ago, johnzo said:

I go the other way.  Have never seen a QB singlehandedly win a game like Reilly did against us in 2014.  Dude has a gift for being able to carry a team.

plus, Reilly is so dangerous running, and BLM doesn't really have that tool, he can do okay but he's not someone you have to game plan around.  At his height Reilly would destroy teams that didn't spy him and I think that's a pain in the ass for defences to always have to sacrifice a linebacker just to watch what the QB does  .. especially against a team with a great passing game.

No rust on BLM, I think he's a great athlete and he belongs in the Hall of Fame based on his won-loss record alone -- you can say what you want about how good the Calgary program is, but it all starts with him and during his glory years I think he was full value for that win-loss record.  But if I get to draft first overall in the twenty-teens I'm taking Reilly.

Blms production is a considerable product of his system. Reilly is a system changer. Hes a throw back qb. Id take him hurt over healthy BLM. Reilly doesnt rattle. He doesnt whine or cry or moan or blame his team mates first chance he gets. Hes a better arm talent and a tough SoB to bring down.  

Edited by wbbfan

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

For me Id call an RPO (run pass option). Inside or outside zone run with an audible to switch from one to the other. One wr in isolation (lawler) on one side and trips to the other side.

So this is a play you run with an 21 formation, right?  6OL + 1TE + 3WR + 1HB + QB, and the TE is to the trips side, with four options on the play: 2 run options that the QB calls at the line, QB choose R/P after the snap, then reads the pass play if necessary.  Does the pass play have a set reading order, like always read Lawler first and then the trips side? Or is the QB going to decide who to read first based on what he sees at the line?

Is this a typical level of complexity for a CFL play?  The QB has so many decisions to make, when you break it down it's astonishing that a QB can start and win for a team on just a few days' practice, like Bishop and Collaros and Clements did for us.

Are you always going to run the trips to the field side?  Or would you run the trips on the boundary ever?

What does the HB do on the pass option?  Harris is going to influence the D heavily during the entire play, so do you have him flare out to the boundary to draw guys away from the trips side?  Or maybe you screen it to him behind all the trips blockers?  Seems like that could bring too much heat to the trips side though. Or do you need him as an extra blocker in case there's a bust up front or an extra rusher?

Also, can you call those audibles in a fired up mosaic stadium?

So many questions!

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

So this is a play you run with an 21 formation, right?  6OL + 1TE + 3WR + 1HB + QB, and the TE is to the trips side, with four options on the play: 2 run options that the QB calls at the line, QB choose R/P after the snap, then reads the pass play if necessary.  Does the pass play have a set reading order, like always read Lawler first and then the trips side? Or is the QB going to decide who to read first based on what he sees at the line?

Is this a typical level of complexity for a CFL play?  The QB has so many decisions to make, when you break it down it's astonishing that a QB can start and win for a team on just a few days' practice, like Bishop and Collaros did for us.

Are you always going to run the trips to the field side?  Or would you run the trips on the boundary ever?

What does the HB do on the pass option?  Harris is going to influence the D heavily during the entire play, so do you have him flare out to the boundary to draw guys away from the trips side?  Or maybe you screen it to him behind all the trips blockers?  Seems like that could bring too much heat to the trips side though. Or do you need him as an extra blocker in case there's a bust up front or an extra rusher?

Also, can you call those audibles in a fired up mosaic stadium?

So many questions!

It's 11 with either woli as a te or Eli or even Miller. That would be 12 formation with 1 back and 2 ends. 

It'd be mainly a 2 option with 2 sets of audible. Normally in rpo you have some wrs blocking and 1 or 2 running routes. It's minimal decision making. 

So normally you read an end but you can read an lber or db too. If the db plays tight to the line if he jumps the run you pull it and throw it to the wr he left. In a basic running read option you let the end go free. If he takes the qb angle he gives it to the rb. If he takes the angle on the rb he keeps it. Rpo is more frequently rb run or qb pass with a last option to qb run. 

Depends on the offense. Usually you have 1 or 2 wr option routes. Though in some spread stuff it's 4 guys with 3 or more route options. That isn't normal though. Normally your pre snap read would dictate the post snap check down. If d has Lawler shaded for double cover and shows cover 1 then a wr on the other side might have a deep route option. 

Nah it should be flipable you should be able to motion and flex and run similar plays from different sets. Other wise the d catches on fast. 

The HB sells the run then blocks and releases at his judgement. Some times you call  a screen or max protection if the d is soft or blitzing. Different teams would have different installs to counter their defense specifically. 

Your audible signal in that case would be visual. Usually you have a vocal and a back up visual signal. Lift leg and step to motion flex player point at the wr etc. Audible command might be check which runs an alternate version. So base play might be inside zone read with Yankee and the check might be out side with mesh concept and corner route. 

Good rpo looks more complex then it is. But it does require higher football Iq wrs. 

On 2021-09-10 at 5:45 AM, wbbfan said:

. Reilly is a system changer. Hes a throw back qb. Id take him hurt over healthy BLM. Reilly doesnt rattle. He doesnt whine or cry or moan or blame his team mates first chance he gets. Hes a better arm talent and a tough SoB to bring down.  

He reminds me of how Jim Barker describes Willie Jefferson: at his height he was a game wrecker.

Somehow he's still effective despite all the punishment he's taken.  Like a Matt Dunigan but made of Wolverine bones.

Edited by johnzo

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

I remember Flutie torching the Bombers in the Reinbolde era - with something like an 85% completion percentage. Knuckles gave up and just started gushing about Flutie. 

only time I've ever left a football game early in my life was when Flutie and the Argos were up 50 on the Rough Riders in the 3Q.