2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I wonder if we will see a lot more trades this year with US airlifts posing quarantine and possible vaccination issues. I could see a few teams with real positions of strength looking to trade for immediate help. To could deal white and maybe some wr depth. ssk ham and a couple teams could be buyers for back up OL. I could see ham selling off masoli. 

I'd like to see us trade for Nevis then..is he on IR in T.O or P.R?

Kind of OT, but the recent Bishop sycamore scandal has a canadian twist. The team was actively trying to recruit canadian and euro talent to their "High school" program. Two canadian brothers Mark and Matt armah who had talks with bishop sycamore about joining were listed on their game day roster for the bungled game vs IMG academy.  Reading about the living conditions the kids, and people playing for that team went through is atrocious. Im glad the canadian kids didnt get roped into it.

Adding this for any one who hasnt heard of the bishop sycamore thing.

Edited by wbbfan

I think BLM is a redblack before the end of the calendar year in a Taman style deal, with a couple Ottawa first rounders going the other way.  Dude is making over $500k and is signed thru 2022, and he hasn't been himself for awhile. The stamps reload and get cheaper while Ottawa can sell tickets and hope with a guy who is (or was) legit MOP material.

mind you, I was also certain that Hufnagel would do a Wally Buono and move on from BLM after Arbuckle showed well in 2019, so I am terrible at predictions.

Edited by johnzo

Just now, johnzo said:

I think BLM is a redblack before the end of this year, with a couple sweet redblack first rounders going the other way.

mind you, I was certain that Hufnagel would pull a Wally Buono and move on from BLM after Arbuckle showed well in 2019, so I am terrible at predictions.

Jake Maier looks to be better than Arbuckle ever was. There definitely is an aura about the kid that even a lot of veteran qbs don't have. If Hufnagel keeps Mitchell over him then he is nuts. They have a young team so why play the hugely expensive old veteran with a banged up body & lose when they can lose but develop with a cheaper & talented young qb? It makes no financial sense to keep Mitchell next season. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jake Maier looks to be better than Arbuckle ever was. There definitely is an aura about the kid that even a lot of veteran qbs don't have. If Hufnagel keeps Mitchell over him then he is nuts. They have a young team so why play the hugely expensive old veteran with a banged up body & lose when they can lose but develop with a cheaper & talented young qb? It makes no financial sense to keep Mitchell next season. 

totally agree -- he threw a wide side out against us that really caught my eye  Usually when a young QB throws to the field like that I'm expecting six the other way, but he threw an absolute laser safely away from the DB and right between the numbers of his receiver, just past the first down stick.  He had some heat on him when he threw it too, and it didn't look like the out was his first read.  Real pretty play.  Not a Stamps fan but as a fan of the game I cheered that play a bit. 

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Maier is likely a free agent after the season as he signed with Calgary in 2020.  

Should be an another interesting off-season for quarterback movement. 

In that case, they will extend him during the season. 

5 hours ago, johnzo said:

totally agree -- he threw a wide side out against us that really caught my eye  Usually when a young QB throws to the field like that I'm expecting six the other way, but he threw an absolute laser safely away from the DB and right between the numbers of his receiver, just past the first down stick.  He had some heat on him when he threw it too, and it didn't look like the out was his first read.  Real pretty play.  Not a Stamps fan but as a fan of the game I cheered that play a bit. 

I am happy we played him 2 weeks ago. With a few more games under his belt - he would have beaten the Bombers. 

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Maier is likely a free agent after the season as he signed with Calgary in 2020.  

Should be an another interesting off-season for quarterback movement. 

It should be a good one indeed. The league has a few back ups that are gonna be ready to do more next year too. 

6 hours ago, johnzo said:

wasn't there an anonymous insider take from Ottawa that said that Nichols was physically healthy but that his throwing mechanics had gone to ****?  that sound like the harshest possible thing you could say about a pro QB...

Yeah - but that's not something Lapo would say or post publiclly. 

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Would Ottawa give up anything of value for BLM knowing that Massoli is a free agent to be?

I agree that it would be wise for Calgary to move on from BO and his 700,000 price tag and roll with Maier.

I doubt it. Their cupboards are pretty bare as it is. Even if they gave up no value BLM would be furious and toxic af on that team.

I think Toronto might be a prime candidate.  They have ample depth at rb, wr, dl and lber to offer immediate value. They can also include about as good a back up qb as it gets in the cfl right now. They pulled mbt then they pulled arbuckle. And of course DW worked with BLM for a good while.

They could trade shane ray, dexter mccoil, 1 of rogers, braverman, or daniels plus calgarys pick of mbt and arbuckle for BLM and some draft pick / roster filler. Maybe cal wouldnt want mccoil but im not soo keen on sankey for them. But tor has depth at a bunch of positions to deal from. 

I think if we see a flurry of trades its going to be Tor involved alot because of that depth. 

The only position I could see us being sellers in is NI ol. Gray makes a lot of money, has as much upside as any ni ol and seems to have been passed by eli. We are deep at DL but I dont see teams wanting our young DTs, or our team parting with any of the DEs. Kongbo might be the closest guy to move, but he rotates in a lot. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I doubt it. Their cupboards are pretty bare as it is. Even if they gave up no value BLM would be furious and toxic af on that team.

I think Toronto might be a prime candidate.  They have ample depth at rb, wr, dl and lber to offer immediate value. They can also include about as good a back up qb as it gets in the cfl right now. They pulled mbt then they pulled arbuckle. And of course DW worked with BLM for a good while.

They could trade shane ray, dexter mccoil, 1 of rogers, braverman, or daniels plus calgarys pick of mbt and arbuckle for BLM and some draft pick / roster filler. Maybe cal wouldnt want mccoil but im not soo keen on sankey for them. But tor has depth at a bunch of positions to deal from. 

I think if we see a flurry of trades its going to be Tor involved alot because of that depth. 

The only position I could see us being sellers in is NI ol. Gray makes a lot of money, has as much upside as any ni ol and seems to have been passed by eli. We are deep at DL but I dont see teams wanting our young DTs, or our team parting with any of the DEs. Kongbo might be the closest guy to move, but he rotates in a lot. 

There’s no way the Bombers trade Kongbo