2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

56 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I don't think you get CERB + your regular income... I think it replaces your income because you lost your job. 

I would think that the world shutting down for a month creating a global market crash which in turn led to rock bottom mortgage rates- might be more the reason.

Sure, but if I were to rewind back to when we were saving for a house - when I was 20 years old... I was still in university, I was (at the time) working part-time earning ~$18,000 a year whilst attending university. The only eligibility criteria for CERB with respect to income levels was income in excess of $5,000. If the pandemic hit me whilst working at that job - I would actually have been earning more by staying on CERB for the period it covered ($2,000 per month * 12 months = $24,000 per year).

Not only that - CERB payments were exempt from CPP and EI - so you actually got to retain even more of your money. All that said - the money absolutely had to go out, and that situation is the exception, not the norm for sure. I just meant if you were fortunate enough to be living at home and receiving CERB, the above scenario could certainly have ramped up your ability to save for your own home - if you had the means to do so.

I count myself incredibly lucky to have bought in '07, I think thats the year things started to slowly heat up and prices around the city began to inflate... Bourkevale Park area, South side of Portage between Berry and Ferry, a stone's throw from the river... for only 91,500 back then. At this point, even a marginal upgrade would cost me another 200k. What would 90k get nowadays? The loft of a garage?

Edited by MOBomberFan
Cody Spelling

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I think a big part of the boom is that (some) people have been saving tons of money through the pandemic. Those fortunately to not lose jobs or business income. Not spending on entertainment/travel/etc. puts a lot of money in the ol' savings account.

I can tell ya for a fact that sales of recreational toys like camper trailers and boats have gone through the roof. 2021 boats sold out in the spring and they've been booking 2022s for awhile now. Everyone couldn't travel so they bought toys. 

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I think a big part of the boom is that (some) people have been saving tons of money through the pandemic. Those fortunately to not lose jobs or business income. Not spending on entertainment/travel/etc. puts a lot of money in the ol' savings account.

I don't think it's that. I think it is more people just joining the frenzy. Plus foreign money driving up some markets has a spill over into others.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I can tell ya for a fact that sales of recreational toys like camper trailers and boats have gone through the roof. 2021 boats sold out in the spring and they've been booking 2022s for awhile now. Everyone couldn't travel so they bought toys. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think it's that. I think it is more people just joining the frenzy. Plus foreign money driving up some markets has a spill over into others.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/household-savings-in-canada-skyrocket-during-pandemic-as-ottawa-doles-out-billions-in-emergency-benefits

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bakx-record-savings-pandemic-spend-1.6071493

Definitely spending was up in some areas, but the articles source facts that say savings have gone way up throughout the pandemic.

"The savings rate in the second quarter of 2020 surged to 28.2 per cent, up from 3.6 per cent before the COVID-19 pandemic struck."

"In fact, Canadians amassed $212 billion last year, versus $18 billion in 2019, according to Statistics Canada. That works out to $5,574 per Canadian on average in 2020, compared to $479 in the previous year."

"The average savings rate jumped from 1.3 per cent of disposable income in 2019, to 14.9 per cent in 2020. In April, May and June of 2020, the savings rate peaked at about 27 per cent."

On 2021-07-15 at 4:38 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

I have a different problem. Live in Manitoba, long time season ticket holder, doubly vaccinated, but one shot (the 2nd) happened in Ontario and Manitoba Health does not have my updated vaccination record, despite me sending them all the info. So for now I can’t get the passport, and I confirmed with the Bomber office that nothing else will suffice, even though I have other documentation that shows I am fully vaccinated. So I may be barred from going to the stadium because Manitoba Health has screwed up their records despite me giving them all the correct info. Hope to get it all corrected before August 5. 

Got my second vaccination certified and have my digital passport! Bring on life again, and see you at the stadium August 5th!!!!!

On 2021-07-16 at 3:17 PM, Bubba Zanetti said:

The housing market in Winnipeg has really exploded but its a much more recent phenomenon. It may have been creeping up incrementally since the 2010's but it really hadnt started going bonkers until the pandemic. Lots of stories over the last year or so of people bidding like 30K, 40K over asking price and still losing out

Thats not true though.  

in 2010 we bought our house 30k over asking  against five other bidders and were not the highest big but the sellers recognized my last name and the side was friends with my sister in highschool.

all my fiends had similar experiences over the past 10’years.   

The housing market in Winnipeg has really exploded but its a much more recent phenomenon. It may have been creeping up incrementally since the 2010's but it really hadnt started going bonkers until the pandemic. Lots of stories over the last year or so of people bidding like 30K, 40K over asking price and still losing out

Over ask doesn’t mean anything. Realtors are intentionally listing houses for under market value to encourage bidding wars.

I think the housing market in Winnipeg broke in 2002, 2003... the mortgage rates took a complete nose dive after 9/11 and everyone that could, got into the market. Houses doubled in price over the next couple of years. That was the era where affordable housing died.

22 hours ago, WildPath said:

Hmmmm what’s this disposable income you speak of?

On 2021-07-17 at 9:39 AM, MOBomberFan said:

I count myself incredibly lucky to have bought in '07, I think thats the year things started to slowly heat up and prices around the city began to inflate... Bourkevale Park area, South side of Portage between Berry and Ferry, a stone's throw from the river... for only 91,500 back then. At this point, even a marginal upgrade would cost me another 200k. What would 90k get nowadays? The loft of a garage?

Bought our house in 2001. Paid off in 5 years

Bodog odds came out today and they have the Riders with better odds of winning the Grey Cup than the Bombers lmfao. Based on what? The Riders losing 3/5 of their o-line and their 2 best defensive players, not to mention Elimimian as well?!?! Where do these oddsmakers come up with this?

48 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Bodog odds came out today and they have the Riders with better odds of winning the Grey Cup than the Bombers lmfao. Based on what? The Riders losing 3/5 of their o-line and their 2 best defensive players, not to mention Elimimian as well?!?! Where do these oddsmakers come up with this?

Grey Cup Champions beating all 3 teams that have the same or better odds. And we did so entirely on the road. But whatever. Not a big betting guy.

51 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Also has a lot to do with money that will come come in.  Rider fans are going to screw with a lot of lines.

Riders just lost their two projected starting tackles. Cyrus Kouandjio, who was penciled in as their starting right tackle, just informed the team he is retiring and Terran Vaughn, who was projected as their starting left tackle, has been out with a shoulder injury since the 14th and its more serious than originally thought. Run Cody run!

Edited by Bubba Zanetti