2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

Naylor reporting that there'll be a conference call on June 14th to decide whether to kickoff August 5th. The only thing that might be a hiccup is the assholes in Toronto and Montreal, but hopefully the government will give enough guarantees re: fans in the stands, to get them on board. Players sure sound like they're coming to town in a couple weeks and getting ready for TC....

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Naylor reporting that there'll be a conference call on June 14th to decide whether to kickoff August 5th. The only thing that might be a hiccup is the assholes in Toronto and Montreal, but hopefully the government will give enough guarantees re: fans in the stands, to get them on board. Players sure sound like they're coming to town in a couple weeks and getting ready for TC....

i don't think it has to be unanimous, does it?

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I truly hope that if TO and MTL don't want to play, the league moves on without them. Not sure if it's possible or if the rumors of those teams not wanting to play are true. But it's become apparent that no CFL in 2021 means no CFL.

I'm not sure what that would do to the TSN/RDS contract though. 

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I truly hope that if TO and MTL don't want to play, the league moves on without them. Not sure if it's possible or if the rumors of those teams not wanting to play are true. But it's become apparent that no CFL in 2021 means no CFL.

Tell em to go pound sand if they don't want to play. Don't **** the rest of us over. They can't get fans in the stands anyway so what's the difference?

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Tell em to go pound sand if they don't want to play. Don't **** the rest of us over. They can't get fans in the stands anyway so what's the difference?

Sadly, in a league where TV revenues account for such a large amount of the profits, the perception of losing 11 million eyeballs makes a big difference. 

I saw a thing on Twitter last night where one of the beat writers was saying that the unreleased new schedule apparently has Edmonton vs Ottawa on Aug 7 as one of the first games, and I stopped and went "What I wouldn't give right now to watch something as meaningless to me as Edmonton vs Ottawa CFL game right now...." I'm just so ******* excited about an upcoming season. I will watch every second of every game that I can. As nice as it was to have hockey, I'm just not THAT big of a hockey fan....but CFL......my Christ, I will never take it for granted again. 

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Sadly, in a league where TV revenues account for such a large amount of the profits, the perception of losing 11 million eyeballs makes a big difference. 

I get that, but how many actually tune in? I wonder what the count looks like country wide. Like where do the majority of viewers live? 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I saw a thing on Twitter last night where one of the beat writers was saying that the unreleased new schedule apparently has Edmonton vs Ottawa on Aug 7 as one of the first games, and I stopped and went "What I wouldn't give right now to watch something as meaningless to me as Edmonton vs Ottawa CFL game right now...." I'm just so ******* excited about an upcoming season. I will watch every second of every game that I can. As nice as it was to have hockey, I'm just not THAT big of a hockey fan....but CFL......my Christ, I will never take it for granted again. 

Amen 

I watched the last bit of the Eastern final yesterday as it was on TSN. It's amazing in hindsight just how confident hammy was. Some highlights from interviews right after the game, Banks was going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Simoni just wanted to get to the cup and win it already. And Coach O always had their team ready. lol.

I can't wait for the season!!!

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

You know those Saturdays where they have 3 games back to back to back? I would love one of those right about now. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

My son knows Vernon Adams in Seattle. He said Adams told him he's leaving for Montreal in 2 weeks to play. So, take that for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

You know those Saturdays where they have 3 games back to back to back? I would love one of those right about now. 

We get excited because in the CFL we have a very good chance of winning a Grey cup championship. In the NHL it is the opposite. From impact free agent players not wanting to be here to players leaving when their contract is up, it's like we have no chance as there's always huge holes to fill. That's the difference between the CFL & NHL.

My concern right now is that they get the season rolling and then B1617 takes hold and everything has to be shut down again. Things are really trending badly right now in the Variants vs Vaxxes race... 

37 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

My worry is that politicians will open it up too soon yet again and we'll end up with yet another wave. Folks need both shots, not just one, especially for the newest variants. That being said, I think the vote this weekend will be to go ahead with an August start.

Agreed, politicians need to heed the advice of the experts and open up in a responsible manner.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

My worry is that politicians will open it up too soon yet again and we'll end up with yet another wave. Folks need both shots, not just one, especially for the newest variants. That being said, I think the vote this weekend will be to go ahead with an August start.

The league will vote to start in August. That's my feeling. Too many negative things will be thrust upon Toronto & Montreal if they don't play & the others do. The embarrassment they'll bring to the league & bad will they'll show with the "Eff You Go Shove It" middle finger to everyone will be remembered for a long time. If those teams don't play it'll affect advertising revenues. So watch TSN try to screw over the other 7 teams by saying the value of the tv contract is less with the country's 2 biggest markets no longer represented. What happens to the contracts of the players on those 2 teams? Both the Argos & Als would probably have to pay their players I'd think or they'd become free agents. If so, I can see individual players demanding they be released so they can play elsewhere. I can see lawsuits by individual players & the CFLPA. Perhaps other teams even sue. Does Toronto & Montreal really want that?