2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-announces-plans-for-shortened-season-starting-in-august-1.1627462

The Canadian Football League has announced a plan to cut its 2021 regular season from 18 to 14 games, while moving its start date back nearly two months from June 10 to Aug. 5.

The Grey Cup, originally scheduled for Nov. 21 in Hamilton, is now slated to be played on Dec. 12.

While a target date to resume play is a welcome bit of clarity for the CFL’s various stakeholders, the league stopped short of committing to play without governments lifting restrictions on fans attending games.

It all points to a period in mid-June when the league will have to assess whether its new start date is attainable.

“Aug. 5 is based on a lot of conversations with public health authorities that we would have a lot more information and will see a real decline as this third wave passes through,” said commissioner Randy Ambrosie. “With more and more people getting vaccinated, there’s a lot of indication that early June will give us more information for a final decision to go.

“In early June we’ll be collecting all of our data and be in contact with public health officials.”

Ambrosie said he could not be specific about what percentage of stadiums would have to be open to fans for the league to play, given the different capacities.

“We will work with each team and their local health authorities to see what is possible in their market,” he said.

The CFL’s announcement follows a meeting of club presidents and governors on Tuesday, roughly three weeks before rookies were due to report for training camp.

While a delay to the start of the season has been obvious for at least the past couple of weeks due to the third wave of COVID-19 in Canada, the league has been under pressure to reveal as much of its plan as possible.

The CFL has received at least verbal approval of its return-to-play protocol from four of the six provinces in which it plays, with Ontario and Quebec as the exceptions. That isn’t expected to be an issue once the third wave subsides.

But the issue of fans in stands remains a potential hurdle. If restrictions on fans in stands are lifted in Western Canada sooner than in Eastern Canada, the league is prepared to relocate early-season games to the west.

“We may think about taking our teams on the road from the east to play in a place where they may have opened up fans in the stands,” Ambrosie said. “There is a commitment to play in 2021 and all the work that will happen to where we can make a comfortable final decision to go.”

Making a decision to go could mean such things as eliminating preseason games, rookie camps or shortening training camp.

“All of those issues are up for grabs,” said Ambrosie. “Everything is on the table.”

A new start to the season will also require an amended collective agreement with the Canadian Football League Players’ Association.

“I’m confident we can work together to put together a plan,” Ambrosie said.

As for what happens if the league cannot commit to its Aug. 5 start date by mid-June, Ambrosie said the league would continue to press on with alternate plans.

“We have backup plans and backup plans to our backup plans … we are committed to playing in 2021,” he said

Interesting stuff about moving East games out West, in order to get fans in the stands. I have absolutely no doubt that AB will be among the first to allow fans in attendance. Limited capacity, with masks, at outdoor venues sometime in June, I truly believe. Alberta will go Full Texas, and try to reopen fastest....for better or worse.

Edited by Noeller

Just now, Jpan85 said:

They play football in Buffalo for another month past that date. If the Bills host AFC championship game could have a game end of January 

I was thinking that but I imagine they dont want to have no grey cup winner in 2021 as well as 2020. And the earlier end to the season gives them a chance to move the start of next season back earlier with out heavily shortening the off season window. 

10 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

They play football in Buffalo for another month past that date. If the Bills host AFC championship game could have a game end of January 

There's certainly been some ugly weather games in Green Bay and New York late in the season... I don't love the idea of a -30 Grey Cup... but if a run-dominant Bombers team is playing, I could probably live with it :) 

I really and truly believe this is going to work..... if we maintain our current rate of vaccination (or, God forbid, increase it...) we're going to be in good shape come July 1. Open camps in mid July, and fire up the season on the August Long Weekend... let's f***ing GOOOOOOO.......

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"Harumph, I'll believe it when I see it!!" :) 

They can play into December because the GC game will be in Hamilton & I doubt they'll be facing minus 30 temperatures like they would in Regina. Teams will be lucky to get just one break if it's an 18 game schedule. I'd be happy with 12-14. 

The Grey Cup game is now scheduled for December 12th in Hamilton. And a 14 game schedule. Well, just like I said. How do ya like that??? 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I really and truly believe this is going to work..... if we maintain our current rate of vaccination (or, God forbid, increase it...) we're going to be in good shape come July 1. Open camps in mid July, and fire up the season on the August Long Weekend... let's f***ing GOOOOOOO.......

Bring the guys in who are supposed to be on the team other than a few where there is actual competition from retirements, So a small TC roster & skip the exhibition season. Then go in 3 weeks. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

They have a verbal agreement in the West, assuming the 3rd wave subsides, but don't even have that for the East. Maybe the Eastern teams will play road games for a month at the beginning of the season. They haven't got buy in from the CFLPA and they'll look at the dates again in June. Basically a thoughts and prayers announcement. We think we might be able to do August and we pray that Covid won't still be a problem.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

They have a verbal agreement in the West, assuming the 3rd wave subsides, but don't even have that for the East. Maybe the Eastern teams will play road games for a month at the beginning of the season. They haven't got buy in from the CFLPA and they'll look at the dates again in June. Basically a thoughts and prayers announcement. We think we might be able to do August and we pray that Covid won't still be a problem.

Covid means planning is hard, if not impossible. This is at least a target to shoot for in order to get all the stakeholders on the same page, which is more than we had yesterday.

couple of notes, one positive one negative: 

-Ambrosie said they have back-up plans to their back-up plans.......so they really are working hard to make sure some kind of 2021 season plays. (Positive)

-Ambrosie says the planned start date is "contingent on a 'significant' number of fans in the stands", with no real clarification on what that means exactly.... (Negative)

So much is up in the air right now, but I really believe that, as fast as the case counts escalated, they will fall just as quickly once the vaccines start taking effect. By mid-May, I think we'll already be seeing a significant decline...

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Ford will be sure that the Ontario teams get approval to play. 

Farhan Lalji's Twitter feed:

From Bo Levi Mitchell: I think we are all disappointed, not in the league or the govt. b/c everyone is trying to do what they think is right, but just in the fact that we aren’t playing & we just want to play. It’s what we do. We’re football players. It’s what we love. We miss it.

I'm with Bo on this one.

57 minutes ago, Noeller said:

couple of notes, one positive one negative: 

-Ambrosie said they have back-up plans to their back-up plans.......so they really are working hard to make sure some kind of 2021 season plays. (Positive)

-Ambrosie says the planned start date is "contingent on a 'significant' number of fans in the stands", with no real clarification on what that means exactly.... (Negative)

So much is up in the air right now, but I really believe that, as fast as the case counts escalated, they will fall just as quickly once the vaccines start taking effect. By mid-May, I think we'll already be seeing a significant decline...

That can't be true. I've been told all he does is travel the world looking for foreign football players and scarfs. 

Vaccine's...vaccine's   ...vaccines is the name of the game....I'm hoping the rate of needles in arms jumps precipitously and we can start putting this pandemic behind us....Fans in the stands is key and with some sort of protocol adjustment this version of the season just might work....Americans saying today they are upping the supply of vaccine to Canada today...Anything and everything will help...Finally a glimmer of hope

From Wade: 

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 11x Grey Cup Champions
Dear Season Ticket Member,

We worked hard to kick off the 2021 season on time but over the last month, COVID-19 has taken hold of parts of the country. The positive news is that we are still planning for a 14-game schedule (7 regular season home games plus a potential home playoff game)  starting on August 5th - full statement from the CFL below. Our Fan Services team will send a separate email by the end of this week with the specifics on what this change means for your season ticket account.

As vaccination rates increase and the majority of Canadians are immunized by July 1, we will be in a good position to start in August, subject to public health approval. We’ve seen that as vaccinations have increased around the world, so has the ability for other leagues to welcome fans back to their stands.   

A new schedule will be released in early May which will see us playing a lot of football at IG Field in August. Like many other venues that have successfully welcomed back fans, IG Field will use a pod-seating configuration, where small groupings of fans will be safely distanced from each other throughout the stadium. Once the schedule is released, our Fan Services team will provide additional information as to what action you will need to take.

On behalf of the entire organization, thank you for your ongoing support as we work through the end of this pandemic. We are very close to getting back to IG Field to cheer on your championship team.  

The one thing we know for certain is that the quicker our community reaches higher levels of vaccination, the quicker we will be able to get you back to IG Field. When it’s your turn, the most impactful thing you can do is get vaccinated so we can tackle COVID-19 together.  

Go Bombers,

77383ea9-ecc7-4c9f-a973-40f910ec242a.png
Wade Miller
President and CEO

2.13% of Canadians are fully vaccinated as of today. .25% of the population got their 2nd shot last week. That's 1% of the population getting 2nd shots a month. At that rate, it will take 97 more months to get everyone vaccinated.

17% of Canadians have received a single dose. 3.96% got their 1st shot last week. That's 15.84% getting their first shot a month. That's 5.25 months to get everyone a single dose, which puts us into September and the reason the Government can say everyone will be vaccinated by September. Of course, you're not fully vaccinated until a couple of weeks after the second shot, but Governments don't care about facts.

40 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

2.13% of Canadians are fully vaccinated as of today. .25% of the population got their 2nd shot last week. That's 1% of the population getting 2nd shots a month. At that rate, it will take 97 more months to get everyone vaccinated.

17% of Canadians have received a single dose. 3.96% got their 1st shot last week. That's 15.84% getting their first shot a month. That's 5.25 months to get everyone a single dose, which puts us into September and the reason the Government can say everyone will be vaccinated by September. Of course, you're not fully vaccinated until a couple of weeks after the second shot, but Governments don't care about facts.

They'll have enough doses to vaccinate everyone who wants it and is eligible by the end of June and fully vaccinated by the end of September. Exactly what they've been saying since fall. 

By the end of June, there will be enough vaccines in Canada to have 22 Million people fully vaccinated. 

This is behind a paywall but you can track the progress here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-covid-19-vaccine-tracker-canada-latest-numbers-explainer/

Edited by JCon