2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Jackson Jeffcoat had a great tweet this morning about the CFL needing to tell the players the season plan so that the players could make arrangements to be here and for their out of football life stuff.

ehhhhhhh I get where he's coming from, but the bottom line is the league doesn't know anything...nobody can make plans because it's a pandemic and everyone's flying by the seat of their pants. The government is the only one who can say anything, and even they're not really sure. So it's not like the league is intentionally holding the players in the dark....they just have no way of knowing anything right now. I get really tired of the players whining like the league is intentionally trying to screw them...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

ehhhhhhh I get where he's coming from, but the bottom line is the league doesn't know anything...nobody can make plans because it's a pandemic and everyone's flying by the seat of their pants. The government is the only one who can say anything, and even they're not really sure. So it's not like the league is intentionally holding the players in the dark....they just have no way of knowing anything right now. I get really tired of the players whining like the league is intentionally trying to screw them...

CFLPA should be keeping the players updated. Commish should be keeping the owners updated. Then the individual clubs should be telling the fans. 

They could at least let us know under what conditions they're going to start camp in a month. 

If they need fans in the stands, then they can clearly postpone until September or probably just cancel the season. If they can get by with no or very few fans, then May should be a go. 

Are they waiting the CFLPA to approve the new salary structure? 

The gov'ts have approved a variety of return to play scenarios that have similar requirements as the CFL. That should not be an issue, unless their plan is flawed. 

I think the variants and vaccine rollout (lack thereof) are definitely throwing a wrench into things. Gov't is a lot more cautious right now, as they should be. The way the pandemic is going right now, I'm not sure football is very high on the priority list. Just look at situation in Vancouver with the Canucks... I think that's going to put a halt to any risks anyone might have taken. So with all that being said, why release a statement that essentially says nothing? 

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think the variants and vaccine rollout (lack thereof) are definitely throwing a wrench into things. Gov't is a lot more cautious right now, as they should be. The way the pandemic is going right now, I'm not sure football is very high on the priority list. Just look at situation in Vancouver with the Canucks... I think that's going to put a halt to any risks anyone might have taken. So with all that being said, why release a statement that essentially says nothing? 

At what point to we stop making excuses for the league and just admit they've ****** up this entire situation?

regarding this...I'm trying to find the document that I saw online, but I *DID* see a letter from Alberta CMOH Deena Hinshaw to the Alberta Rodeo and Race Association regarding attendance at outdoor events for this year. Alberta is planning on 15% capacity  for End of May (up to 500 people) and increasing every 2 weeks following that, to "full attendance, no cap" by July. So that is certainly their PLAN.....we'll see how the vaxx-ing goes, and how out of hand the variants get. As of today, Alberta announced that the British variant is the dominant strain in Alberta, and that if you test positive, you are to assume it's the UKV. It is 99% of all confirmed cases and is currently raging out of control in this province. Soooooooooo.......... we'll see how that outdoor attendance thing goes......

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I suspect some of these guys across the league will "unretire" if there is a season.

I doubt it. The season, if we get anything, will be short and the pay won't be good. I bet these players have made the decision based on their careers outside football. They're done. 

From what I can glean from "Covid Tracker Canada " a U of S project, we( MB ) are a shade under %14 vaccinated.  Alberta a bit over %14. BC + Ontario a bit over% 17. Quebec over% 20 .Nova Scotia is under %11. What I'm not sure about is if those numbers include our indigenous communities and if all provinces report that the same.

Well crap!  Wrong discussion ! 

Edited by the watcher

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I 100% agree with SF......I think we'll see un-retirements once things are rolling again....

Maybe for some younger players. But Franklin/Mitchell are long in the tooth.

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

not a HUGE deal, but interesting......

Are these more of "big name" players we were told have been considering retirement? What will the league do without who ever that WR is and a career backup qb? I do love that this kinda screws with the riders though.