2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

20 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Please, everyone tell me again how great the Walters trade to Toronto to move up 4 spots in the 6th round was again for a Canadian o-lineman who we were going to lose? This seems like a better payout than that one by a good bit, and Calgary had the same “no leverage” we supposedly did. 

we gave up 1 player for a 6th rounder.

they gave up 3 players for a 4th rounder. global draft pick? please remind me who’s global draft pick worked last season aside from Hansen?

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm guessing like me, you haven't been paying attention to their moves. They have the making of a solid oline...already have a decent rec group, that might now include rogers. They're not as unappealing as they were pre covid.

They have made some decent moves, but doesnt matter with the OL.  not to mention the roaring crowd of 8 people and sky high living expenses.  Idk TO still looks like the worst destination in the league to me. 

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As much as I spread the word on how Nichols is done....  it's a no brainer to cut him before that bonus.   They can always sign him again afterwards since his options will be very limited. 

thats a freakin huuuge bonus wow. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

MLB is delaying the season start to April 28th. I think the CFL will have to do do the same thing with the slow rollout of vaccines. Here's how:

I can see the CFL delaying the season to August. Training camps start mid July. No exhibition games with limited TC rosters maybe cut down to 50 players. Just two weeks of practice to get the season started. Most players will be there to practice only & not competing for roster spots. They will have made the team before coming to camp. Little or no cuts but a practice squad will be needed in case of injury or sickness. 

The CFL can still have a legit but compressed schedule like the 50's & 60's when they always started the season the first week of August by cutting out 4 games to 14 instead of 18. Thereby eliminating the 2 games in 5 days scenario on an Eastern or Western road trips. Or go back to way it was before we had interlocking schedule. Two East teams play 2 games out West. Three West teams play 2 games down East. As the GC will be played in Hamilton, I believe they could play the championship game as late as the second Sunday in December to help space the schedule out a bit. Even though risking the Western playoffs be played in some really cold weather.  

As more Canadians get vaccinated the teams can slowly but cautiously roll out attending games by having people show proof they were vaccinated. If you got your 2 shots you can watch in public. If not, sorry. 

Just my 2 cents. Is that a plan, Randy? At least a starting point for something??? God only knows he has said nothing other than proclaiming Sunny Ways. Nothing concrete,

Edited by SpeedFlex27
Pressed quote instead of edit. I don't think it can be changed without losing text so I just left it.

15 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Not surprised by this move, I think its good news for Nichols. Goes back to a system and coach hes very familiar with.

LaPo knows Matt's strengths & weaknesses. If Ottawa has a good running back they're set offensively. Also Dominique Davis has played in Lapo's system so he'd be familiar as well as the backup.

It's official: https://www.cfl.ca/2021/02/01/edmonton-names-jaime-elizondo-head-coach/

EDMONTON — The search for a new head coach for the Edmonton Football Team has come to an end.

Just a week after Scott Milanovich resigned to pursue opportunities in the NFL, Edmonton has named Jaime Elizondo the team’s 23rd head coach in franchise history.

Along side his head coaching duties, Elizondo has also been named the team’s offensive coordinator and quarterback coach, it was announced on Monday morning.

“We’re thrilled to announce Jaime Elizondo as the new head coach of the Edmonton Football Team,” said GM/VP of Football Operations Brock Sunderland. “Jaime is an innovative play caller with proven success in the CFL. Along with his winning history in this league, he is a good leader who communicates well and we align philosophically on what we believe it takes to build a championship program.

On 2021-01-30 at 11:15 PM, Noeller said:

Love the crying over the Speller trade... Walters is the league's best GM by a mile and we're gonna complain about 6th round vs 4th round picks. Shut the actual f*ck up.... 

22 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

How is this better? A 3rd round in the Global draft? Otherwise they got a 4th rounder for 2 players that can be game changers.....thats what you consider good?

16 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

we gave up 1 player for a 6th rounder.

they gave up 3 players for a 4th rounder. global draft pick? please remind me who’s global draft pick worked last season aside from Hansen?

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's a shitty deal for the Stamps losing three players to the Argos. We lost one. 

OK, let’s clear up this little spat. Someone started by saying our Speller trade was a good one. My response was that it was useless. Not good, not bad, just useless. That seemed to get a lot of people irked for one reason or another. So let me address each of you directly.

MOAB - you are wrong about the trade. We did not get a 6th rounder for Speller. We got a 6th rounder for Speller AND a 6th rounder. We did not gain a pick. We moved up 4 places in a lower round so they could negotiate in private ahead of the deadline. Was he leaving us anyway? Almost certainly. Was he a sure signing in Toronto anyway? Only Speller can say for sure. If Pinball was certain he was signing then no point in swinging the deal, but if he was worried enough about market competition driving up the price to trade for the security of early negotiating rights, I would have figured the Bombers had at least a bit of leverage to work with, at least more than moving up 4 spots in the draft in the 48-52 pick range.

Bigblue and Speed - As for what Calgary gained, I didn’t say it was great, which is what you are implying I said. I am saying that Walters didn’t really get anything of value, so I guess you agree with me there if Calgary’s haul doesn’t impress you. As for the 3 players vs. 1, all 3 of Calgary’s guys were headed to free agency just like Speller, so they gave up the same thing we did - early negotiating rights to guys who were gone anyway. They just parlayed their list players into more of a return than we did. Which was the point of my original post. I felt the trade was useless because in my mind we didn’t gain something for nothing, we got nothing for nothing. We were not going to lose a blue chip player at spot number 52 that we would land at spot 48. If the player were that attractive, we would snag them in any of the 5 prior rounds, or the odds were very good that if the guy we were craving was available at 48, he’d still be there at 52. I figured why make that trade at all, unless Toronto felt they needed the extra 3 days on the competition? And since they felt they did need that (and it ultimately paid off for them in a signed contract) then could we have not squeezed more out of them for a young Canadian o-lineman who has started in this league? Calgary’s subsequent trade landing 2 extra picks for their departing players showed me that Walters could have extracted more. Whether Calgary gets anything of value for those picks remains to be seen, so it may be just as useless a trade for them - but they still did better than we did in the same scenario. It is illogical to argue otherwise. 

Noeller - I have outlined my arguments above. So I won’t beat them to death again for you. I don’t have an axe to grind with “the best GM in the league by a mile” (whom if I recall was on the chopping block for a few posters here as recently as halftime in the West semi-final 3 games ago). But for everyone who falls at his feet, rails against anyone who offers a counter opinion, and says this was a good of great trade since we got something for nothing, I don’t think we really got anything (so it is a useless trade, not bad per se), and I felt that we had some leverage (others disagreed) and did not get all that we could have gotten. Calgary’s subsequent trade on the same circumstances for more than we got would appear to have proven me right on both counts (that we had leverage, and that we could have gotten more). All that aside, your counterpoint is “shut the actual f*ck up”. If you want to debate, then let’s debate it. If all you have is swearing at me to intimidate me off the boards, (a) you’ve made my point for me that I was right, (b) it won’t shut me up, and (c) is just plain offsides. You don’t have to agree with me - so defend your side. You don’t have to like what I say even if you can’t disagree with it, choose a better way to express it please or just ignore me on this one. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

3 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

@TrueBlue4ever

OK you win. Walters should have gotten a higher pick for Speller and is a bad GM and should be fired.
And Huff is still by far, the better GM. Happy now? 

Move on, man. 

In order, agree, don’t agree, and that is another debate altogether. And I’m prepared to move on when others stop telling me to f*ck off for expressing an opinion. Fair enough?

It was clear that Speller already had a deal in place from Toronto and that Walters tried to get something out of nothing. 

My only complaint is how the league can can turn a blind eye on these things always happening.

The fact that the Blue had to give up a 6th rounder makes it very suspicious. 

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

In order, agree, don’t agree, and that is another debate altogether. And I’m prepared to move on when others stop telling me to f*ck off for expressing an opinion. Fair enough?

You expressed your opinion but be ready for rebuttal from some people who don't agree with it. That's why this is a forum. 
But I dont think any one here told you to f*ck off - well at least not me. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

We moved up in the draft, most would agree that's a gain. Will the players available between 48 and 52 be all that different? Only time will tell. Grey Cup champ and CFL All-Star Luc Brodeur-Jourdain was drafted at exactly pick #48, and amazingly that pick was also acquired by trade. You just... never know in the CFL draft.

Round six

Pick # CFL Team Player Position College
41 Saskatchewan (via Hamilton) Teale Orban QB Regina
42 Toronto Argonauts (via Edmonton) Mark Dewit OL Calgary
43 Calgary Stampeders Jonathan Lapointe FB Montréal
44 Toronto Argonauts (via Montreal) Tyler Scott WR Western
45 Toronto Argonauts Matt Black DB Saginaw Valley
46 BC Lions Hubert Buydens OL Saskatchewan
47 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Pierre-Luc Labbé LB Sherbrooke
48 Montreal Alouettes (via Saskatchewan) Luc Brodeur-Jourdain OL Laval

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Bigblue and Speed - As for what Calgary gained, I didn’t say it was great, which is what you are implying I said. I am saying that Walters didn’t really get anything of value, so I guess you agree with me there if Calgary’s haul doesn’t impress you. As for the 3 players vs. 1, all 3 of Calgary’s guys were headed to free agency just like Speller, so they gave up the same thing we did - early negotiating rights to guys who were gone anyway. They just parlayed their list players into more of a return than we did. Which was the point of my original post. I felt the trade was useless because in my mind we didn’t gain something for nothing, we got nothing for nothing. We were not going to lose a blue chip player at spot number 52 that we would land at spot 48. If the player were that attractive, we would snag them in any of the 5 prior rounds, or the odds were very good that if the guy we were craving was available at 48, he’d still be there at 52. I figured why make that trade at all, unless Toronto felt they needed the extra 3 days on the competition? And since they felt they did need that (and it ultimately paid off for them in a signed contract) then could we have not squeezed more out of them for a young Canadian o-lineman who has started in this league? Calgary’s subsequent trade landing 2 extra picks for their departing players showed me that Walters could have extracted more. Whether Calgary gets anything of value for those picks remains to be seen, so it may be just as useless a trade for them - but they still did better than we did in the same scenario. It is illogical to argue otherwise. 

My thinking isn't that CGY just got a better deal. It's that Rogers and Law can turn their respective groups into game changers, so they deservedly demand more value then Speller, who is not a game changer by himself. Rogers has been basically unstoppable at times, he's likely no longer that player but he is still someone who demands attention from the defense. Law is very solid and a starter on most teams as well. Speller, well very promising and full of talent, isn't on the same level as the other two. He's got the potential. I believe Rogers and Law plus another player is more value then just Speller. Which is why CGY got a higher return...which as far as I'm concerned is STILL not that great considering the talent they're losing.

Lawler, if not landing in the NFL is a slam dunk to be back here...bank on it.

Speller...an "undrafted" guy at that was not coming back, he knew he would be a back-up here..most likely 7th guy at best, and the team had sufficient depth at lower price tag to offset his loss, so getting what we did was just a bonus, seeing as this is what we landed in the last draft in later rounds...2 key contributors to a grey cup team, and we have seen that Walters and the staff has had a good track record of finding useful talent in later rounds

7th Round: DB Nick Hallett, Toronto (61st) 
8th Round: DB Kerfalla-Emmanuel Exume, Montreal (70th)

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Lawler, if not landing in the NFL is a slam dunk to be back here...bank on it.

Speller...an "undrafted" guy at that was not coming back, he knew he would be a back-up here..most likely 7th guy at best, and the team had sufficient depth at lower price tag to offset his loss, so getting what we did was just a bonus, seeing as this is what we landed in the last draft in later rounds...2 key contributors to a grey cup team, and we have seen that Walters and the staff has had a good track record of finding useful talent in later rounds

7th Round: DB Nick Hallett, Toronto (61st) 
8th Round: DB Kerfalla-Emmanuel Exume, Montreal (70th)

Hope you're right about Lawler.....cuz the options in fa are thinning down quickly

Just now, Stickem said:

Hope you're right about Lawler.....cuz the options in fa are thinning down quickly

we also have 2 guys I really high on Mekale and Stewart, and Ross could be a dark horse

Also if Whitehead isn't picked up by NFL...He will be back and if used right will be the break-out start this year, Mix in Adams, Woli, Bailey, Demski to whomever makes the squad we will be fine...all big name guys started out as "who dats"

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

we also have 2 guys I really high on Mekale and Stewart, and Ross could be a dark horse

Also if Whitehead isn't picked up by NFL...He will be back and if used right will be the break-out start this year, Mix in Adams, Woli, Bailey, Demski to whomever makes the squad we will be fine...all big name guys started out as "who dats"

lol....sometimes the 'who dats' become the 'who's who'....Never know when you can come up with a diamond in the ruff....Sure would be nice to come up with another Milt........I know dreamin'

Well I know the Bombers want Lucky back, and I know that if NFL doesn't pan out..which I don't think it will he wants to be back in Winnipeg in a bad way.

He has been sadly black listed down there, politics rule and that dog knapping fiasco and all that went with takes any shots he had away especially now being 29 before the NFL season starts and in most eyes down there still a project who needs to prove worth..shitty for him...Great for us...and him too but not as profitable