2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

Not great for the schmoes for sure...Jonesie left the igloo for  Sask. pronto after a Cup win....also left a bad taste in a lot Esks. fans gobs....I don't see them as being forgetting or forgiving...I see them going in a total different direction..Isn't June Jones available ????  Nothing like sticking with the Joneses....

So, after paying Milanovich to sit around & do nothing for a year he leaves. He got paid & didn't earn a penny. Especially during this pandemic when other coaches lost their jobs instead. I'd like to see the CFL take a stand with coaches that have itchy feet by taking them to court to get the team's money back that they paid out to anyone who does something like this. Milanovich & the Colts may have thought twice about doing this if they knew they might be held financially liable. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, after paying Milanovich to sit around & do nothing for a year he leaves. He got paid & didn't earn a penny. Especially during this pandemic when other coaches lost their jobs instead. I'd like to see the CFL take a stand with coaches that have itchy feet by taking them to court to get the team's money back that they paid out to anyone who does something like this. Milanovich & the Colts may have thought twice about doing this if they knew they might be held financially liable. 

They probably have clauses in their contracts that allow this.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Big hole for EE to fill. Wonder if they will go after a CO from another team, dig up a skeleton from CFL days gone by, or if they will try to start with a fresh hc. 

Could be a good fit for June Jones, for in league guys I think bobby dyce deserves a shot at HCing again. Maybe tommy condell? 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

the two names I read yesterday were Jim Barker and Jamie Elizondo....neither of those would excite me, if I was an Esks fan.

Jim Barker would be a horrendous choice. Doesn't get any more CFL than a hire like that.

They should be pursuing Trestman. Harris could have a great year under him.

Edited by Dr Zaius

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Big hole for EE to fill. Wonder if they will go after a CO from another team, dig up a skeleton from CFL days gone by, or if they will try to start with a fresh hc. 

Could be a good fit for June Jones, for in league guys I think bobby dyce deserves a shot at HCing again. Maybe tommy condell? 

I'm assuming most teams have their COs under contract, so unless a team is willing to let them go I don't see it happening. And I'd be very surprised if any team would do that at this time of year.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

I'm assuming most teams have their COs under contract, so unless a team is willing to let them go I don't see it happening. And I'd be very surprised if any team would do that at this time of year.

its the default that if a CO is offered a HC job or a promotion that you let them take the interview/job. but it is getting late for that. 

the Esks beat guy for CHED radio was saying today: "The problem with Jones is that he's ALWAYS looking for the next opportunity. Hard to build a program when the HC won't commit to the program".....and that's about right. Sounds like he's got NFL/NCAA opportunities down south anyhow, so that's good...stay there.

10 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

They probably have clauses in their contracts that allow this.

Then these clauses need to be removed. No other league gets shitted on like our does by the NFL & our Commissioner & BOG's let it happen. Brock Sunderland's cum by ya comment that Milanovich is still his friend must sound so good to Eskimo season ticket holders. Coaches can come & go as they please while under contract but players can't. Huff wouldn't release Holley the Stamps all star line backer or their corner as they were under contract. Finally after months they relented yet anyone in management can just **** off if they want to go to the NFL. 

So nobody should ever leave a job for a better paying job with better possibilities for future employment? How loyal should a coach be to a fan base few loses in a row or a rough season they are calling for your head. Would you say the same thing to a Head coach in AHL or Juniors? Or if it’s a college coach moving to the pros?

40 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

So nobody should ever leave a job for a better paying job with better possibilities for future employment? How loyal should a coach be to a fan base few loses in a row or a rough season they are calling for your head. Would you say the same thing to a Head coach in AHL or Juniors? Or if it’s a college coach moving to the pros?

So, a coach can leave when he wants but a player can't. He got paid to do zip with Edmonton. The Colts should be paying Edmonton compensation. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I think there's a middle ground somewhere here...... absolutely players and coaches should have the opportunity to make the big NFL $$$$$ when they've got the chance, but there have to be some protections in place for CFL clubs. Maybe that's a hard date? No opting out after a certain date? Whatever it is, I'm certain there's a way to meet in the middle. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Then these clauses need to be removed. No other league gets shitted on like our does by the NFL & our Commissioner & BOG's let it happen. Brock Sunderland's cum by ya comment that Milanovich is still his friend must sound so good to Eskimo season ticket holders. Coaches can come & go as they please while under contract but players can't. Huff wouldn't release Holley the Stamps all star line backer or their corner as they were under contract. Finally after months they relented yet anyone in management can just **** off if they want to go to the NFL. 

Thing is though, the Stamps would've paid for that indirectly. One of the big draws of the CFL for American players is the exposure and ability to continue to play and develop. Holley's case is the exception, not the rule. Players are under contract, yes, but from a long-term perspective, it benefits the club to allow them to go to greener pastures.

You'd be hard pressed to find many - if any, American players that'd prefer playing in the CFL over the NFL. Releasing Muamba to pursue the NFL arguably bit the Bombers - when he returned North, he signed with a different club. However, long-term, it built the goodwill to future American players, showing that if given an NFL opportunity, the Bombers would oblige. I'd argue the Bombers to attract more premium talent in the later years, and some of those players (Marcus Sayles, Winston Rose) have gone on to play in the NFL. Teams that have had disputes - notably the Argos - have struggled bringing in American talent, and the on-field product has shown that.

Is it ideal? Certainly not. It is however the reality the CFL faces, dollar for dollar there's no way the CFL could ever compete with NFL contracts. Although contractually players don't have the same rights as coaches, it is somewhat an unwritten rule that, if given an opportunity to play, they expect release from the CFL contract. For most of these players, their longer term goal is to play at the NFL level.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I think there's a middle ground somewhere here...... absolutely players and coaches should have the opportunity to make the big NFL $$$$$ when they've got the chance, but there have to be some protections in place for CFL clubs. Maybe that's a hard date? No opting out after a certain date? Whatever it is, I'm certain there's a way to meet in the middle. 

I always thought that a solution to this was a a system like they have in soccer where you have to pay the club for them to be released from their contract. Or the Japanese Baseball approach where you post your players ability and MLB team have to pay you to negotiate with that player. Would be a revenue stream for teams across the league.