2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Is any qb signing really low risk though? The nature of the position is high risk high reward, unless you are gonna carry 7 qbs in TC like montreal did with reed. 

It's going to be a Lapo offense, so there's little risk. I think you need someone there to lead by example and, although I don't think Davis is a starter, I do agree that he's a good back-up. Can still start someone else and keep a development QB on the practice roster. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

sad I really wanted him to end up here. 

The poor get poorer. Every year in the cfl 1 or 2 teams go into TC with out a legit starting qb. And they always end up with a terrible season.  Looks like ottawa is stocking up for another run at the basement. 

Dom isn't going to be the starter. That's Arbuckles job right now.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

sad I really wanted him to end up here. 

The poor get poorer. Every year in the cfl 1 or 2 teams go into TC with out a legit starting qb. And they always end up with a terrible season.  Looks like ottawa is stocking up for another run at the basement. 

Why would you want Davis here? He's done nothing as a CFL qb. 

On 2021-01-08 at 2:54 PM, JCon said:

It's going to be a Lapo offense, so there's little risk. I think you need someone there to lead by example and, although I don't think Davis is a starter, I do agree that he's a good back-up. Can still start someone else and keep a development QB on the practice roster. 

It does add value for sure to have a QB who knows the system you are installing really well. I wouldnt be surprised that he does better if he plays in 21, but he couldnt do worse either. 

On 2021-01-08 at 3:43 PM, Bigblue204 said:

Dom isn't going to be the starter. That's Arbuckles job right now.

For sure, I wouldnt want him to be the no2 though. Im pretty sure we wont have a vet no2 either, but I wouldnt prefer to have him back. 

On 2021-01-08 at 4:00 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why would you want Davis here? He's done nothing as a CFL qb. 

Ya I hoped for walker. 

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

GM's in the league will be happy that this guy will no longer be around to deal with.

Fringe players will have no one else to turn to in order to squeeze more money then they deserve.  

Cold.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Since his knee injury he hasn't been able to play or practice a full season. Do you pay a guy (in a tough market financially) full price for maybe 10 games a season & having to be rested to make a playoff run?? What if he's needed down the stretch to get into the playoffs & then can't compete at 100% in the playoffs? I know John Hufnagel is thinking the same thing. That has to be a big reason he hasn't signed yet. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Cold.

Since his knee injury he hasn't been able to play or practice a full season. Do you pay a guy (in a tough market financially) full price for maybe 10 games a season & having to be rested to make a playoff run?? What if he's needed down the stretch to get into the playoffs & then can't compete at 100% in the playoffs? I know John Hufnagel is thinking the same thing. That has to be a big reason he hasn't signed yet. 

He played 17 games in 2019. And with a full year rest everyone should be 💯.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

On 2021-01-08 at 1:54 PM, JCon said:

I don't think Davis is a good backup. He can't read defenses & that is suicide for an offense. You're basically sending out your team to die if you're an OC. When he started, he was mostly awful. Desjardins just can't spend the money on another backup. 

19 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

He played 17 games in 2019. And with a full year rest everyone should be 💯.

Rogers struggled at times. He would miss an entire week of practice but Dickenson would insert him in the lineup last minute. He's never been 100% as a player since he was injured & came back. He's had a lot of "maintenance days" with the Stamps where he wouldn't even be at practice as he stayed home resting. He's older, Now he's missed an entire season.

As a guy who suffered a similar injury to Rogers years ago & had a knee replacement in 2019, I know that these type of bad knee injures never get better with rest. They get worse with age as the knee joint deteriorates & arthritis sets in. He may feel fine now with time off but the daily pounding of practice & games eventually takes its toll. An 18 game season is a long process. Plus he's one bad tackle or hit from being finished as a player.

He was a phenomenal receiver & may have still been playing with the Niners still had he not been injured. He's not the same player he was a few years ago. So, should he get a huge CFL salary in these financially unsure days? Any team that pays him will be taking on a big risk. John Hufnagel is very good at knowing when it's time to replace aging & expensive veterans. When it's time to go. We'll see if that happens. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Right now Rider fans are claiming that the media is just making up crap and that Hughes is awesome bla bla bla... I guarantee that if he were to sign somewhere else they would instantly change tune and suggest that he's over the hill and washed up.