2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

Just now, Noeller said:

I know of exactly 1 career 3rd stringer-turned-starter, Mr Fajardo, and you sir, are no Khari Jones.......

Backups who struggled but became starters & champions. Dieter Brock, Khari Jones, Rick Cassatta, Tom Wilkinson, Anthony Calvillo, Danny McManus. Off the top of my head. Dave Dickenson was a third string backup to Doug Flutie & Jeff Garcia in 1996. It took him 4 seasons to become the Stampeder starter & lead his team to the 99 Grey Cup. So, it does happen. 

36 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't know that we're expecting big things. I think we've seen the skillset in practice and are encouraged to see if he can do it on the field in a game. We're not starting him now, anyhow. 

My expectations as a fan is that he's our next long term starter. That's what I hope. That he can develop into a star. Do I expect it? Nope. Can I wish? Absolutely. 

Sadly, I really don't believe the season is going to happen. With Manitoba Health saying today that only 70% of MB will be inoculated by the end of the year, there's just no chance fans are allowed in stadiums, and with no fans, there is no season. They still have absolutely no plan for how to operate with no fans in attendance. Just incredibly depressing. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Sadly, I really don't believe the season is going to happen. With Manitoba Health saying today that only 70% of MB will be inoculated by the end of the year, there's just no chance fans are allowed in stadiums, and with no fans, there is no season. They still have absolutely no plan for how to operate with no fans in attendance. Just incredibly depressing. 

I was thinking this too. Assuming that the lack of vaccines is the reason, and not just mismanagement of the vaccine rollout, that means it will be like this across the country. No one will be able to go to games. The CFL clearly can't operate without fans in the stands, so doesn't this all seem moot?

7 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I think we are going to have a season with fans, limited thought, as I said in the Covid thread even if everyone who wants the vaccination doesn't get one vaccinating as many as possible brings down the chance of you getting the virus and stops the virus from spreading easily, that's my hope anyways

They won't be vaccinating the gen pop until the fall and there are no vaccines approved for children yet. I just don't see them opening up stadiums and arenas until 2022. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

They won't be vaccinating the gen pop until the fall and there are no vaccines approved for children yet. I just don't see them opening up stadiums and arenas until 2022. 

These are predictions with the current 2 vaccines, I believe in the next few months a 3rd and 4th option will be available which will help immensely.

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Good god make the 2021 season happen CFL!

If he were to stay and retire a Bomber he would forever be beloved in this city.   

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

and I think the TRULY unfortunate thing is.......if we lose a second season, we might lose the league entirely. I don't think they can survive a second lost season. :(

Can we somehow get True North + Thompson to buy out the league please and thank you?  

I remember listening to some Bombers content...don't remember if it was on CJOB or if it was the Bombers Podcast feat Irving, but either way..... Bob said "they HAVE to come back in 2021...there's no other choice....because if they have to shut down for two years in a row, they won't make it.... it'll be done".

Maybe I'm just feeling the January Winter Blues + COVID + Terrorism...... but man, I just don't see how they'll possibly run this year unless they figure out a way to play without fans in the stands. And Ambrosie wouldn't even entertain the notion in November. There was no other way, without fans in the stands. 

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

These are predictions with the current 2 vaccines, I believe in the next few months a 3rd and 4th option will be available which will help immensely.

It won't matter if governments can't get the  into people. It's not like they have given all the vaccines they currently have. 

On 2021-01-06 at 11:57 AM, JCon said:

What astounds me most about the deal is that the Riders were bidding against themselves. No one is interested in him. 

But, the Riders will probably be spending to the cap again. They probably have more flexibility than anyone else on this. They have the room and will probably do well in FA. 

I retract my statement. Clearly the RedBlacks would have been interested in him. 

4 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

sad I really wanted him to end up here. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I retract my statement. Clearly the RedBlacks would have been interested in him. 

The poor get poorer. Every year in the cfl 1 or 2 teams go into TC with out a legit starting qb. And they always end up with a terrible season.  Looks like ottawa is stocking up for another run at the basement. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

sad I really wanted him to end up here. 

The poor get poorer. Every year in the cfl 1 or 2 teams go into TC with out a legit starting qb. And they always end up with a terrible season.  Looks like ottawa is stocking up for another run at the basement. 

money better spent elsewhere..not a dire need

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/07/argos-redblacks-playing-game-of-chicken-with-their-quarterback-situation/

It's not impossible Nichols may end up as the odd man out when all is said and done. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Agree. Walker has a high price tag. 

We need to add another high-caliber receiver though. I appreciate what Lawler, Bailey, Whitehead and Nelson has done. But they won't scare any opposing D. 

12 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/07/argos-redblacks-playing-game-of-chicken-with-their-quarterback-situation/

It's not impossible Nichols may end up as the odd man out when all is said and done. 

Agree. Walker has a high price tag. 

We need to add another high-caliber receiver though. I appreciate what Lawler, Bailey, Whitehead and Nelson has done. But they won't scare any opposing D. 

Mekale Mckay could tho....Unproven in CFL..but a BIG BIG Threat at every other level

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Davis signing was a good signing...experienced vet back up and with proper coaching (actual co-ordinator this year) will win you some games if he is pressed into action...Way better back-up depth than probably 7 teams in league right now

It's a low risk signing because you know what you're getting. You can hope that someone else will beat him out in training camp. Lapo knows him, so that works in his favour. 

They will be trying to sell Grey Cup tickets this spring for the Hammer.

Was going to go to Regina last year before something happened... can't remember what... but would you risk buying tickets not knowing if you'll have the vaccine? 

Edited by JCon

2 hours ago, Booch said:

This team doesnt have a dire need, or a greater need that would be filled in FA. Im sure the couple remaining lock up guys will be done soon enough. 

Walters is keeping busy, cant wait to see what gray does with another TC in his belt. 

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's a low risk signing because you know what you're getting. You can hope that someone else will beat him out in training camp. Lapo knows him, so that works in his favour. 

They will be trying to sell Grey Cup tickets this spring for the Hammer.

Was going to go to Regina last year before something happened... can't remember what... but would you risk buying tickets not knowing if you'll have the vaccine? 

Is any qb signing really low risk though? The nature of the position is high risk high reward, unless you are gonna carry 7 qbs in TC like montreal did with reed.