Random Jets News

On 2021-02-27 at 9:52 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Trading Helle for Price it's like trading him for his older self.

I always find it interesting when a low poster says something like you should trade Byfuglien, you shade Wheeler, you shade trade when they are in their prime.

Best guess? Horseman is from MTL.

Don't think so. Calgary with Horse's reference to Hufnagel. 

On 2021-02-27 at 9:52 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Trading Helle for Price it's like trading him for his older self.

I always find it interesting when a low poster says something like you should trade Byfuglien, you shade Wheeler, you shade trade when they are in their prime.

Best guess? Horseman is from MTL.

Horseman is from Calgary. He threw in a Hufnagel reference already. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jets-defenceman-nathan-beaulieu-weeks-upper-body-injury/

Winnipeg Jets defenceman Nathan Beaulieu will be out of the lineup for "weeks," according to head coach Paul Maurice.

Beaulieu left Tuesday night's game versus the Toronto Maple Leafs midway through the second period after blocking a John Tavares shot with his right hand.

Maurice added that Beaulieu is likely out more than one to two weeks, but under four to six. He did say one of defenders Sam Niku or Logan Stanley would enter the lineup as Beaulieu's replacement.

Beaulieu has one assist and has appeared in all 25 Jets games so far this season.

Time for the armchair coaches/GMs to find a new whipping boy should the Jets struggle or lose a game.

30 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jets-defenceman-nathan-beaulieu-weeks-upper-body-injury/

Time for the armchair coaches/GMs to find a new whipping boy should the Jets struggle or lose a game.

Don’t worry. There’s always the “PoMo must go!” brigade, and from some of the early comments, Dubois is not going to be given much of a grace period by some fans around here. 

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

People expect 88 to be bad despite he leading the Jets in +/- last year :P

People do not expect 44/2 to be bad.

I think +/- is an incomplete way to evaluate players and doesn't take into account the full scope of how a team plays. Beaulieu led the Jets in that stat last season but doesn't translate to him being anything more than a 5-6 defenseman; maybe 4 depending on the situation. Morrissey and DeMelo are both struggling this season but that speaks more to a team problem than an individual player one, IMO. Team defense is not a strength of this team the last two seasons, which in turn puts the blue line in bad situations more often than not, particularly when a forward line doesn't pick up the slack. Pionk has been a bright spot, which is great for him and the team.

The Jets are in the bottom 10 in both SOG allowed (9th - 796) and HDSC allowed (9th - 87) at even strength. Fortunately, Hellebuyck bails them out consistently and the team's power play is good enough to make up the difference when the opportunity arises.

I think Hyman's first goal is a microcosm of what ails this team all too often at times: a glaring lack of a consistent, strong two-way game. When the Jets are without the puck, there seems to be a tendency to not focus on defensive responsibilities from the forward lines.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

That's too bad. Means Comrie will only get practice time. 

Vesey was claimed from Toronto by Vancouver. 

It would be interesting to know the specifics of the wheeling and dealing (if any) that go on behind the scenes when it comes to putting and claiming players off waivers i.e., between Winnipeg Ottawa and Vancouver Toronto. 

On 2021-01-23 at 11:37 AM, JCon said:

Okay, the Jets finally made a long-term deal to address a shortfall in their team, a centre. 

We moved from an area of strength, the wing, and added a piece that will mean out centre depth is set for many years. 

We have goal scorers and two way centres. 

We obviously need help in the back but we have a few pieces already and a few coming up. 

I feel like we should be a contender this year. We're better than Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal. We may be better than Toronto too. 

This team will be a top 5 team for the last quarter of the season. 

I'm saying we come out of the northern division on the playoffs and compete to go to the Stanley Cup. 

You laughed @FrostyWinnipeg but I think we're a contending team. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Wow, does this make me happy. I kind of feel like we now are 3 deep at centre, with perfect role players in each. Lowry and Copp are just as important as some of our pure goals scorers, IMO. 

But, I want him to sign after the expansion draft for obvious, selfish reasons.