Random Jets News

1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

I have no idea why your mind works the way it does.  Maybe he’ll miss coaching and be ready to get back into it midseason and an opportunity will present itself…. Maybe he’ll take a year or two off…. Maybe he’ll retire.  Who knows?  All we know is what is reported by Dregs… He’s not ready to jump back into coaching right now and how difficult it was to not take the Winnipeg job.  I’m taking it at face value.

How my mind is working:

If we take his statement at full face value, then logically he would have had these thoughts when the Jets (and every other team) first interviewed him. If the first thing he says is “you know, I’m not really interested in coaching at all” why take all the interviews, why come back for a second one in Winnipeg, and why drag it out for 2 months? Hard to imagine that he was excited to explore all of these options and then decide at the end of it “no I don’t want any of them but it just came to me”. And if he did disclose form the start, then a major screw-up on the Jets part to hold out and lose out on the other coaches who got snapped up in the interim waiting on a lost cause. 

If he is holding out for a better offer, then of course he’ll say the right things and how tough it is to turn down Winnipeg, but this team sure has had trouble holding on to players (and a coach) in the last 5 years, and it’s precisely this competitive disadvantage that helped make us also-fans in our first incarnation which led to dwindling fan interest and ultimately relocation. So if he pops up in another market 3 months into next season then I think the hard question of “what makes Winnipeg so unattractive to any real quality hockey people” has to be asked. 

18 hours ago, Stickem said:

Yeah... Maurice seems quite into coaching now.....just not here....

I mean, can you blame him? He was basically the scapegoat for three seasons until he resigned back in December.

Turns out what's wrong with this team (and organization) seems to go well beyond who the HC is.

Shitty news regarding Trotz. I wonder who's second on the Jets' candidate list... They need to get this figured out soon.

The former head coach played a big role in what went wrong tho. You can't deny that. The lack of accountability seemingly was a huge problem. With Wheeler number 3 on Seravellis trade board,  it makes you see that leadership was a problem and they recognize that. 

The other stuff perhaps blown out of proportion a bit based on Twitter rumors which you can't really say is true or not. The problem is we as fans will never ever know what exactly went on. Our media refuses to ask the hard questions 

As for trotz, family comes first every time so if his heart isn't in to coaching then so be it. 

Edited by Goalie

Whoever the next coach is it's going to look like we picked up the 'booby prize' after Trotz...trotted off...Tocchet is an interesting candidate......but will interesting cut it.....Rangers interested in Pierre Luc according to sources????hmmmm if we end with a bag of peanuts for him, then it will have come full circle, and the Laine acquisition will have gone 'poof' and may as well have never happened...I don't trust the management of this club anymore

Edited by Stickem

I've got a buddy that's a die-hard Flyers fan, and he's pissed that they went with Torts over Tocchet. Truly believes Tocchet is going to be a great NHL coach... I don't know enough to know enough, but agree with "seems like an intriguing option..." 

42 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Dubois is a diva tho. 

And yet some still want him to wear the “C”. Not sure what has happened to this club, but there sure seems to be something rotten with all the backsliding since 2018 and player defections/feuds/ trouble retaining or bringing in people who aren’t re-treads. Or do I over-exaggerate? Maybe just my mood today. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And yet some still want him to wear the “C”. Not sure what has happened to this club, but there sure seems to be something rotten with all the backsliding since 2018 and player defections/feuds/ trouble retaining or bringing in people who aren’t re-treads. Or do I over-exaggerate? Maybe just my mood today. 

No you aren't exaggerating.    There is clearly a poisonous culture and it's on the coach and leadership.  Let's not forget that Kevin Hayes said the Jets locker was one of the worst locker rooms he's been in.   The new coach that gets hired is tasked with trying to fix that, as well as the underperforming team.    It's an uphill battle.   

Just now, captaincanuck12 said:

No you aren't exaggerating.    There is clearly a poisonous culture and it's on the coach and leadership.  Let's not forget that Kevin Hayes said the Jets locker was one of the worst locker rooms he's been in.   The new coach that gets hired is tasked with trying to fix that, as well as the underperforming team.    It's an uphill battle.   

Coach can't fix management. That's a common theme here. 

Trotz knew it. 

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've got a buddy that's a die-hard Flyers fan, and he's pissed that they went with Torts over Tocchet. Truly believes Tocchet is going to be a great NHL coach... I don't know enough to know enough, but agree with "seems like an intriguing option..." 

Has he been around since his Phoenix gambling episode? Honestly, any non-internal hire would be a breath of fresh air to me. Looking at that list we are considering two prior Moose coaches, an ex-gambler, a recovering alcoholic, and the least successful coach the Red Wings have had in the last 37 years. 

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Has he been around since his Phoenix gambling episode? Honestly, any non-internal hire would be a breath of fresh air to me. Looking at that list we are considering two prior Moose coaches, an ex-gambler, a recovering alcoholic, and the least successful coach the Red Wings have had in the last 37 years. 

But they work cheap!

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Torts will have better year 1 then Tocchet would have.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Torts will have better year 1 then Tocchet would have.

Philly sucks tho

Probably easier for the Jets to beat out 1 of Dallas or Nashville or Minnesota (12 million in dead cap) then it is for Philly in their division.  

Edited by Goalie