Random Jets News

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Calgary with the mountains & somewhat warmer winter doesn't seem to have problems with players coming here. The tax situation is more of a problem for Canadian teams. 

My son lives in Cal.......doesn't rave about the night life there but he's married and older now and does a lot of reminiscing about when he was a Pegger

7 minutes ago, Stickem said:

My son lives in Cal.......doesn't rave about the night life there but he's married and older now and does a lot of reminiscing about when he was a Pegger

Back in my 20's & 30's the nightlife in Wpg was pretty damned good. A lot of upscale bars downtown & down to Earth pubs in the suburbs. Usually the women situation was pretty good wherever I went. The Bombers, Jets & out of town football & hockey teams "owned" the Marble Club & partied there so lots of ladies. Can I even say that now without offending?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

The exchange district had some great nite clubs and some nights you had to know the right people to get in, downtown had Benjamins and polo park had the Pal, subs had Strawberries and Fridays and a whole host of Ledohowski night club and lounges, they are all gone now as trends have changed, still some of the younger players still like to have fun.

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Back in my 20's & 30's the nightlife in Wpg was pretty damned good. A lot of upscale bars downtown & down to Earth pubs in the suburbs. Usually the women situation was pretty good wherever I went. The Bombers, Jets & out of town football & hockey teams "owned" the Marble Club & partied there so lots of ladies. Can I even say that now without offending?

I don't think the night life is terrible in Winnipeg, but it's more spread out in pockets around town while other big cities have a proper downtown with a large group of people in a central location.    Also not every single player is an Evander Kane ding dong,   even guys on our team like Laine / Ehlers were nerds and would rather play Fortnite then to go around town drinking and coking out.   I don't think it's impossible for players wanting to play in Winnipeg.  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I don't think the night life is terrible in Winnipeg, but it's more spread out in pockets around town while other big cities have a proper downtown with a large group of people in a central location.    Also not every single player is an Evander Kane ding dong,   even guys on our team like Laine / Ehlers were nerds and would rather play Fortnite then to go around town drinking and coking out.   I don't think it's impossible for players wanting to play in Winnipeg.  

If all the single players are going to do is play video games then what does it matter where they live?

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Perhaps what's lost in people's emotional posts are in Winnipeg Patty played with Scheif. Stastny. Ehlers.Wheeler. Connor. 

These are top talent at their positions. He won't have close to that in CBJ as they traded their best player for him. 

PLD is 55 point center with no name wingers. Play driver at that. Also.. likely to fit in with the teams salary structure. Ppl going on about if PLD leaves.. he's RFA in 2 years.. he will sign a team friendly extension. Chevy don't do this without inside knowledge ( PLDs Dad) so I'm not concerned. Losing Laine tho was a real thing.. he wanted to go . Clear as day.. maybe he wants to be the superstar? I dunno. The 1 RW star? I dunno.. he gets that chance now tho cuz it's pretty much him and a bunch of hard workers. Torts will get a lot out of him.. he's a damn good coach and a winner. I hope Laine does well.. signs long term in CBJ and they build around him. But PLD is a very good young 2 center and big and.. honestly.. in the long term in a flat cap world.. more affordable. 

As for the top 4 D... The only offer that actually was rumored was Carolina.. Brett Peace and Martin Necas. I'll take PLD. 

Fact is that was the best offer we were gonna get for Laine and ppl need to stop over valuing Roslo who demanded a top 6  role but did nothing to get it. We got rid of 1 guy today cuz Roslo wasn't gonna be here again cuz ppl like Roslo don't dictate **** in the NHL but.. his value was nothing. 

22 6 foot 3. 220 55 point avg or so with the not as talent heavy jackets, Center. 

I don't see the problem. 

Top 4 D? Heinola. Samberg. 

Who says it has to be a RHD anyways. 

This trade makes the Jets better.

Thank you for this analysis, makes a lot of sense. 

27 minutes ago, Goalie said:

That Chevy interview was the most forward and blunt he's ever been. Came right out and said that they didn't like laines progression and didn't think him and Scheif played well together... He's right.. they were brutal. Doesn't fit the salary structure. 

I also liked how Chevy, Mo, Wheeler all subtly said Laine was given every opportunity and pretty much gave him the best case scenario to succeed. Which is true. Reading between the lines they all pretty much said "he was treated well and there was nothing we could do".  I'm glad they didn't just give out cliche answers that we all know aren't really true

37 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Wiseguys was a place the Jets 1.0 hung out right?

Yup, I saw some there, Norma Jeans (or whatever the hell it was called on any given weekend), even down Pembina, at Stawberry’s.... I met Pat Elyniuk and someone else there... Can’t recall.

On a side note... Anyone know why the hell The Jets are playing a home game at 9:00 and Vancouver is playing a home game at 6:00?  Catering to Montreal much??

3 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Yup, I saw some there, Norma Jeans (or whatever the hell it was called on any given weekend), even down Pembina, at Stawberry’s.... I met Pat Elyniuk and someone else there... Can’t recall.

On a side note... Anyone know why the hell The Jets are playing a home game at 9:00 and Vancouver is playing a home game at 6:00?  Catering to Montreal much??

Ratings, tonight's Jets game wont move the needle, Canadiens game will

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Wiseguys was a place the Jets 1.0 hung out right?

Marble Club, Wiseguys, Norma Jean's and the Palamino Club were the in spots for the Jets 1.0 and the visiting teams. And yes I know that because my friends and I worked at the games and went to those places after. The first three places were good for the visiting teams since they stayed at the Westin (now the Fairmont). 

Edited by Jacquie

2 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Marble Club, Wiseguys, Norma Jean's and the Palamino Club were the in spots for the Jets 1.0 and the visiting teams. And yes I know that because my friends and I worked at the games and went to those places after. The first three places were good for the visiting teams since they stayed at the Westin (now the Fairmont). 

I remember after a Bomber game on a Saturday night in either 1984 or 85, I had season tickets for the Bombers & took a friend. We went to the Bomber game & then afterwards to the Marble Club. The Bombers were the winners that night & they were partying with the team they played a few hours earlier. 

17 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Lol. This is where I met my now Wife. Yelp.