Random Jets News

1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

I was doing the same thing.  It’s rough for sure....  But we’ve made out WAY better than we did with the Selanne trade. 

Russia did better selling Alaska to the US than we did on that Selanne trade...that was a stinker....just the worst.

It'll be very interesting to look back on this trade and judge which team came out the winner..That will take time and anyone rushing to a decision will most likely end up with egg on their face...As things stand now, I believe each player has his own strengths...we'll see by the end of this season whose strengths shine the best...GO JETS

Perhaps what's lost in people's emotional posts are in Winnipeg Patty played with Scheif. Stastny. Ehlers.Wheeler. Connor. 

These are top talent at their positions. He won't have close to that in CBJ as they traded their best player for him. 

PLD is 55 point center with no name wingers. Play driver at that. Also.. likely to fit in with the teams salary structure. Ppl going on about if PLD leaves.. he's RFA in 2 years.. he will sign a team friendly extension. Chevy don't do this without inside knowledge ( PLDs Dad) so I'm not concerned. Losing Laine tho was a real thing.. he wanted to go . Clear as day.. maybe he wants to be the superstar? I dunno. The 1 RW star? I dunno.. he gets that chance now tho cuz it's pretty much him and a bunch of hard workers. Torts will get a lot out of him.. he's a damn good coach and a winner. I hope Laine does well.. signs long term in CBJ and they build around him. But PLD is a very good young 2 center and big and.. honestly.. in the long term in a flat cap world.. more affordable. 

As for the top 4 D... The only offer that actually was rumored was Carolina.. Brett Peace and Martin Necas. I'll take PLD. 

Fact is that was the best offer we were gonna get for Laine and ppl need to stop over valuing Roslo who demanded a top 6  role but did nothing to get it. We got rid of 1 guy today cuz Roslo wasn't gonna be here again cuz ppl like Roslo don't dictate **** in the NHL but.. his value was nothing. 

22 6 foot 3. 220 55 point avg or so with the not as talent heavy jackets, Center. 

I don't see the problem. 

Top 4 D? Heinola. Samberg. 

Who says it has to be a RHD anyways. 

This trade makes the Jets better.

Edited by Goalie

My question is just how do we build a championship team when we can't even build by the draft anymore as our RFA's end up leaving? And we don't EVER sign impact free agents because Lord knows we sure as Hell don't want to overpay. Yet, for not overpaying we're always in salary cap hell or close to it. Funny how that works. And every star RFA who leaves is either a 'troublemaker", "a cancer in the dressing room", "didn't want to be here" or "unaffordable". In eleven seasons we've been to the Western Conference Finals once. Most years we miss the playoffs. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing that doesn't work by the same people that keep doing it every year. How many more seasons of Chevy & Maurice are we going to have to endure until Chipman decides it's time to rescind both of their Jobs For Life titles & make changes?

Two big things to be seen before I decide who won the trade;

Do Laine and PLD sign with their new teams? My guess is we'll have a lot better chance with PLD's dad around. Laine could very well still be on the move and a rental for CBJ

When they sign long term, how much? Sounds like Laine is gonna be expecting a huge payday, and he'll get it get it somewhere because of the "flashiness". PLD may very well be a better value . Could we have fit Laine's contact and keep key pieces? I doubt it.

14 minutes ago, itchy said:

Two big things to be seen before I decide who won the trade;

Do Laine and PLD sign with their new teams? My guess is we'll have a lot better chance with PLD's dad around. Laine could very well still be on the move and a rental for CBJ

When they sign long term, how much? Sounds like Laine is gonna be expecting a huge payday, and he'll get it get it somewhere because of the "flashiness". PLD may very well be a better value . Could we have fit Laine's contact and keep key pieces? I doubt it.

With Chevy's track record, I have little faith in him re-signing here. 

Interesting article in The Athletic today grading the trade.  Won't post it all, because it is behind a paywall.  But one thing that was mentioning is that Dubois was in their their recent top 100 players and Laine was not.

Here is how they grade this trade for both teams:

Custance:  Columbus:  A-  Jets:   B+

Luszcyzyn - Columbus:  B  Jets:  A-

Pronman - Columbus: B+   Jets: B-

They love Laine's goal scoring, which is a rare commodity.  But his defensive play can be a liability.   If we get Dubois from the playoffs last year, will have the centre depth with Scheifele and Dubois that teams dream about.

Trade will ultimately come down to which team can sign who in the long term and which player can thrive with their new teams.

https://theathletic.com/2341048/2021/01/23/nhl-trade-winnipeg-jets-columbus-blue-jackets-laine-dubois/

Out of all the players that no movement or no trade contracts a high percentage of them have Winnipeg on their no fly zone,  we are not a preferred destination for rich athletes that's a fact, whether it's the night life or that the wife or girlfriend objects or they genuinely don't care for the city that's just the way it is, but sometimes you get a player that learns to love the city for the months that actually play the game and even rarely they decide to stay.

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Out of all the players that no movement or no trade contracts a high percentage of them have Winnipeg on their no fly zone,  we are not a preferred destination for rich athletes that's a fact, whether it's the night life or that the wife or girlfriend objects or they genuinely don't care for the city that's just the way it is, but sometimes you get a player that learns to love the city for the months that actually play the game and even rarely they decide to stay.

How many stars have wanted to leave?

Trouba for his GF and Laine for ??? All the other stars have wanted to stay and have stayed. 

10 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I've heard the same, regarding the city thing, about Ottawa and to a certain extent Calgary....No beauties there and there's a few holes in the states that the 'so called' stars want to avoid...The way I look at it is, you come to play hockey in the city that signed you...not go dancing and site seeing....Wpg. has a lot going for it....and you couldn't ask for a more rabid fan base for sports....Bombers and Jets...If a player doesn't want to join a winner here...tough ...go find a loser and site see

Edited by Stickem

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I've heard the same, regarding the city thing, about Ottawa and to a certain extent Calgary....No beauties there and there's a few holes in the states that the 'so called' stars want to avoid...The way I look at it is, you come to play hockey in the city that signed you...not go dancing and site seeing....Wpg. has a lot going for it....and you couldn't ask for a more rabid fan base for spots....Bombers and Jets...If a player doesn't want to join a winner here...tough ...go find a loser and site see

Calgary with the mountains & somewhat warmer winter doesn't seem to have problems with players coming here. The tax situation is more of a problem for Canadian teams. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Scheifle is worth the money but Wheeler sure isn't. It's now a bad contact on the books. Oh & let's keep him on the first line... Think they'll move Dubois to ist line Centre & demote Wheeler? What if he says no? 

Why would Dubois go on the wing? Not following. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

And Morrissey, Byfuglien, Connor, Wheeler, Hellebuyck, Ehlers

Guys will always sign here. It's the guys we lose that we don't replace that is the real issue. 

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

So, they move Stasny to wing? Put Dubois on the second line. 

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Just saying Wheeler has a huge say with what goes on with this team, it seems. Maybe too much influence on a certain coach. 

I'm pissed off but I'll be okay in a day or so.... 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Guys will always sign here. It's the guys we lose that we don't replace that is the real issue. 

Just saying Wheeler has a huge say with what goes on with this team, it seems. Maybe too much influence on a certain coach. 

Yes, Stastny is moving to the wing. 

I think Wheeler communicates with management and the coaches. That's his job. If you think the decides where he plays and when, you're way off base. 

He's paired with Scheif because it works. 

Edited by JCon

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How about a 1st line of Dubois, Stastny and Scheifele? Let them do rock paper scissors to see who takes the faceoffs....lol