2021 CFL Entry Draft

Noeller

On 2021-05-21 at 10:57 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

I have seen some depressing stuff in my 40 years of Bomber watching, but I would say that the 52-0 Labour Day blowout right after Mack fired LaPo is the single lowest in-game moment I have witnessed in club history. Does anything rank lower to others?

The one against BC in 2013 at home where we got blown out?

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

The one against BC in 2013 at home where we got blown out?

Nah. We scored 17 points in that game and we were a bad team running out the string against a division champ. Even the 68-7 playoff loss in Edmonton, as embarrassing as that was, felt different. In that one it was clear the “can’t call them that anymore”’s were blatantly cheating, and the refs turned a blind eye. Was as angry as I was sad. But 52-0 in Sask on Labour Day right after Mack scapegoated LaPo with Joe standing on the sidelines “for inspiration” was much worse. An entire team quit on their GM right in front of his face. They were never even close to getting a point  the board. And then Mack doubles down at the not-so-mea culpa press conference on Monday by jokingly offering the media milk and cookies. Talk about not reading the room. 

20 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nah. We scored 17 points in that game and we were a bad team running out the string against a division champ. Even the 68-7 playoff loss in Edmonton, as embarrassing as that was, felt different. In that one it was clear the “can’t call them that anymore”’s were blatantly cheating, and the refs turned a blind eye. Was as angry as I was sad. But 52-0 in Sask on Labour Day right after Mack scapegoated LaPo with Joe standing on the sidelines “for inspiration” was much worse. An entire team quit on their GM right in front of his face. They were never even close to getting a point  the board. And then Mack doubles down at the not-so-mea culpa press conference on Monday by jokingly offering the media milk and cookies. Talk about not reading the room. 

If memory serves, the coaching had gotten so bad that, by mid-game, Dougie 97 was calling the defences.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

If memory serves, the coaching had gotten so bad that, by mid-game, Dougie 97 was calling the defences.

That was the 2005 season under Daley. Our DC had quit, so the players were calling the schemes on the field, sandlot style... It was a joke. That's how Maas set a completion record against us that year....

30 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That was the 2005 season under Daley. Our DC had quit, so the players were calling the schemes on the field, sandlot style... It was a joke. That's how Maas set a completion record against us that year....

One of my favourite games is naming all of the DBs that suited up for us during those lean years

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

it felt like every team was doing that against us back then. 

1993, and 2007 grey cups. Both years the qb that took us there on the side lines. If both are healthy in those games, we win both and the streak of no grey cups never exists. Dunigan leaving to the US to have his best season in 95 was pretty crushing too. 2001 gc sucked, but the way the team prepared and acted the week of its what most earned. Still sad for milt blink khari etc they shouldve won 1.  

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

it felt like every team was doing that against us back then. 

1993, and 2007 grey cups. Both years the qb that took us there on the side lines. If both are healthy in those games, we win both and the streak of no grey cups never exists. Dunigan leaving to the US to have his best season in 95 was pretty crushing too. 2001 gc sucked, but the way the team prepared and acted the week of its what most earned. Still sad for milt blink khari etc they shouldve won 1.  

2001: One of the worst coached weeks by a HC (Dave Ritchie) going into a championship game I think I've ever seen. It was treated as a holiday & even a joke by the entire Bomber organization because they just knew the Stamps would just lie down for them (insert sarcasm here)  & let them win as it was ordained by God. Let your players mouth off to the media talking trash about the other team & act like complete asshats all week. Thanks, Dave. That still pisses me off two decades later. The Bombers had lost that game by Tuesday of Grey Cup week.

54 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

2001: One of the worst coached weeks by a HC (Dave Ritchie) going into a championship game I think I've ever seen. It was treated as a holiday & even a joke by the entire Bomber organization because they just knew the Stamps would just lie down for them (insert sarcasm here)  & let them win as it was ordained by God. Let your players mouth off to the media talking trash about the other team & act like complete asshats all week. Thanks, Dave. That still pisses me off two decades later. The Bombers had lost that game by Tuesday of Grey Cup week.

Yeah, I always loved ritchie too. But he was an old school boys club soft on his players coach. Ironic though that a coach soo famous for using "locker board material" motivation to give all of it to the stamps.

We saw a bit of the opposite attitude in 2019. When I heard that the Ticats were practicing indoors for that week in Calgary and the Bombers were outside, that was my first inkling that we would be more ready to play. Then I heard that the Ticats were actually practicing the victory formation in each session, and I became more and more convinced that we were going to take out the 15-3 juggernaut.

That no-nonsense style was like the days under Cal Murphy. Chris Walby talked about training camp under him - one day it was pouring rain and the players were all relieved because it meant a break from two-a-days and only film session. Cal walks into the dressing room and barks “why isn’t anyone suited up? On the field in 5 minutes.” Everyone is pissed off, but drag themselves out there. Then Cal marches out in his cap and golf shirt, no rain jacket, and runs a full practice getting soaked to the bone. Afterwards he pulls the team together  on the field still in the rain and essentially says “we are going to play games this year in all sorts of weather - rain, snow, wind - so why would you expect that we won’t practice in those conditions to be ready when it comes? Because other teams won’t be ready for it.” Come the November playoffs, and the Bomber o-line is playing in short sleeves in sub-zero weather and their opponents are huddled by the heaters, and Walby says the team knew before the first snap that they had the game won. Because Cal would not allow them to take any short cuts and gave them that championship mentality. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever