2021 CFL Entry Draft

Noeller

On 2021-01-20 at 6:37 AM, rebusrankin said:

I think BPA this year given our OL situation. Also don't see us taking a FB in round 2.

We're fine if everyone stays healthy which Neufeld has shown in the past that he can't. A couple of major injuries & we're in trouble. I think they'll draft an OL.

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We're fine if everyone stays healthy which Neufeld has shown in the past that he can't. A couple of major injuries & we're in trouble. I think they'll draft an OL.

We have Gray and Eli to back up Neufeld. I think they go BPA, doesn't mean they don't take an OL later.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

the days of NI OTs are over.... but I absolutely agree Walters will take an OL with his first pick. It's just what we do (and it's also smart drafting...can never have enough NI OL) 

It would be great to find another Patty Neufeld type - starts at guard but can provide depth at the tackle position. 

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It would be great to find another Patty Neufeld type - starts at guard but can provide depth at the tackle position. 

in theory, that's Geoff Gray.....but the jury is still very much out on that guy.

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

in theory, that's Geoff Gray.....but the jury is still very much out on that guy.

I thought he was playing well enough when he got benched. I think he'll develop into a really good player. That's the thing with Canadian OL. Mostly it takes years for them to develop. Some just get to a certain level & can't break through to the next one. Others become dominant players. I'm just glad the Bombers came to their senses in 2015/16 & abandoned the idea of an All Canadian OL.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Sky high potential but he projects as a possible tackle as much as any thing. He played well, really all the young NI ol who saw action last year had really good flashes. Most teams would kill to have our back up NI ol.  Gray and Eli are future starters with out question imo. They have the potential to be stalwarts at OL for several years and that is up in the air. But considering it was his first CFL TC last year, and his first game action you cant ask for more. 

21 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Sure you can ask for more - Desjarlais certainly showed more than that,

that's kinda where I was coming from in saying that the jury is still very much out on Gray.... we've had others that showed more, faster. Now, having said that, I certainly understand that OL usually take longer and you don't wanna rush a guy. We've always said that Gray LOOKED the part of a "Young Walby", and we all know that Walby took a long time to develop, as well, but ended up playing a very long time. So, if we're patient, hopefully DG can develop into a long time stud as CW did...

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Sure you can ask for more - Desjarlais certainly showed more than that,

I dont agree that desjarlais was markedly better than gray. He was more polished and of the 3 is furthest along but also has the lowest ceiling.  Of the 3 Eli was the most impressive to me actually. Coming from out of football for a year and a half ish off an injury he didnt show any rust. He only played in like 5 games or so, and came in to the 5 for parts of 2 games but when he was in, and especially on the heavy set he can really move his man. Hes a pancake machine on the inside and a natural center too. 

Its also an easier progression for desjarlais, who is a guard only to move in to a full time guard spot. Where as Desjarlais is a natural tackle, but has been moved around with being light for the T spot in the NFL and here with the best tackle tandem in the league. Going T to G is generally considered the easier of transitions but as we've seen in the past it doesnt always work well. 

chuba hubbard with a blazing 4.36 40 time at his pro day. Cant stop thinking how great he'd look in blue n gold in the post harris era but I dont think he ever falls out of the nfl. 

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

Desjarlais was outstanding and, as a pure rookie, looked much better than players with more experience and US training... 

He was fully adequate as a starter which is far better than most rookies especially true rookies are. But the situation was not the same. 

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

chuba hubbard with a blazing 4.36 40 time at his pro day. Cant stop thinking how great he'd look in blue n gold in the post harris era but I dont think he ever falls out of the nfl. 

He was fully adequate as a starter which is far better than most rookies especially true rookies are. But the situation was not the same. 

He has been project as a 6th or 7th round pick but that 40 time might bump that up

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

He has been project as a 6th or 7th round pick but that 40 time might bump that up

The hiccup this last season has hurt his stock a good bit, but I see him being a real dark horse pick that rises a lot closer to the draft. 

I just think he's too well rounded a package to end up here. HIs productivity, his athleticism, his size he's got the stuff that can keep him on rosters for a good while.