2021 CFL Entry Draft

Noeller

First "Top 20" rankings released today.......

https://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article/iowa-offensive-lineman-tops-cfls-first-scouting-bureaus-top-prospects-list/

TORONTO — Alaric Jackson, an offensive lineman at the University of Iowa, has the No. 1 spot in the first edition of the CFL scouting bureau’s top-20 prospects for the 2021 draft.

The six-foot-six, 315-pound Jackson is a native of Windsor, Ont. He’s entering his senior season at Iowa, which kicks off its ’20 campaign Oct. 24 at Purdue.

Jackson started 10 of Iowa’s 13 games last season at left tackle. He redshirted in 2016 but has started for the Hawkeyes since 2017.

The CFL released its top-20 list Thursday.

Calgary’s Amen Ogbongbemiga, a senior linebacker at Oklahoma State University, was the second-ranked prospect. The six-foot-one, 235-pound Ogbongbemiga has registered a team-high 22 tackles (12 solo) and 1.5 sacks in three games for the No.10 Cowboys (3-0).

Ogbongbemiga had 100 tackles last season and was named the Cowboys’ top defensive player.

Vancouver’s Terrell Jana, a receiver at Virginia (1-1), is at No. 3. The six-foot-one, 200-pound Jana has nine catches for 84 yards and a TD this season after registering 74 receptions for 886 yards and three touchdowns in 2019.

Josh Palmer of Brampton, Ont., a receiver at Tennessee, holds down the No. 4 spot. The six-foot-two, 210-pound senior has 10 receptions for 156 yards and two TDs for the Volunteers (2-0).

At No. 5 is Ottawa’s Liam Dobson, a six-foot-three, 340-pound senior offensive lineman at Maine. Dobson’s ranking comes despite the Bears not starting their season until the spring due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Dobson enjoyed a stellar ’19 campaign, earning All-CAA first-team honours and being voted as Maine’s top offensive lineman. He was the school’s highest-graded offensive lineman for every game and averaged 12 knockdowns per contest.

Dobson contributed immediately upon arriving at Maine in 2017, appearing in six contests (one start) as a freshman. He became a full-time starter in 2018.

The remainder of the top-10 includes, in order, includes: New Mexico State offensive lineman Sage Doxtater (Welland, Ont.); North Carolina State defensive lineman Daniel Joseph (Toronto); North Carolina defensive back Patrice Rene (Ottawa); Maine linebacker Deshawn Stevens (Toronto); and West Virginia defensive back Alonzo Addae (Pickering, Ont.).

The first 10 selections were all from NCAA programs, not a surprise given U Sports cancelled its 2020 season due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. The top Canadian collegian was Montreal offensive lineman Pier-Olivier Lestage, of Saint-Eustache, Que., at No. 11.

The other U Sports selections included Calgary Dinos offensive lineman Logan Bandy of Calgary (No. 12), Saskatchewan defensive back Nelson Lokombo of Abbotsford, B.C. (No. 14), British Columbia linebacker Ben Hladik of Vernon, B.C., (No. 16), Calgary linebacker Grant McDonald of Tsawwassen, B.C. (No. 19) and U.B.C. linebacker Nick Cross of Regina (No. 20).

Defensive back Deane Leonard, who helped Calgary win the Vanier Cup last year before transferring to Ole Miss for 2020, was ranked. No. 13.

If I remember correctly when the NHL lost the season in 2005 they did a weighted lottery based on the past 3 years , 

Teams were weighted based on playoff appearances in the last three completed seasons (2001-02, 02-03 and 03-04), and first overall picks in the last four drafts (2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004). Three lottery balls each were assigned to teams which had not qualified for any of those playoffs and received no first overall picks in that period. Teams which had one playoff appearance or first overall pick in those years were given two lottery balls. All other teams received one lottery ball.[1]

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

If I remember correctly when the NHL lost the season in 2005 they did a weighted lottery based on the past 3 years , 

Did they go reverse ladder after the first round? So if you get stuck with the last pick in the first round do you get the first pick in the second round etc? I vaguely remember the nhl lotto, and them doing a test on the system the day before that got leaked where the leafs won but not much more then that. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My guess is that there will be a lot of trades. Teams will want to move up and down depending upon what they need and what's available. 

GMs must be going crazy trying to figure out how to evaluate talent and how to determine what they'll have to work with once FA opens. 

I will just be here criticizing what they do. 

On 2020-11-19 at 4:28 PM, JCon said:

My guess is that there will be a lot of trades. Teams will want to move up and down depending upon what they need and what's available. 

GMs must be going crazy trying to figure out how to evaluate talent and how to determine what they'll have to work with once FA opens. 

I will just be here criticizing what they do. 

Yeah that makes sense. I could see us moving down trying to get a volume of picks with a lot of futures guys. 

The last few years we've had half a draft class and maybe less at the top half of the draft. Our front office staring down the scope at a full list of draft picks is scary. 

• 1 month later...