Around The NHL 2020/21

JCon

there's already an outcry from the "Rights and Freedoms!" crowd, so we'll see how it goes. I know there's a case to be made for people who can't get vaccinated for health reasons, but anyone else...there's zero excuse. 

4 hours ago, bustamente said:

Joel Armia, and Jesperi Kotkaniemi are the 2 Habs that have gone on the Covid Protocol list, might be more in the coming days, have to keep an eye out on the Canucks as they just played the Canadiens.

One positive though, we know neither of those guys hit anyone....

2 hours ago, JCon said:

What a joke. Every ref does that. The NHL just doesn't like getting caught. 

Really opens up a can of worms for the league and speaks to the joke officiating and DOPS are as a whole. No impartiality whatsoever.

IIRC, Peel was supposed to retire after this season. I wonder what he'll have to say now about the league post-retirement.

On 2021-03-24 at 7:55 AM, JCon said:

What a joke. Every ref does that. The NHL just doesn't like getting caught. 

What's weird to me is what's the motive here?

What's the reward for purposely evening up calls?

To make the refs the focal point of the game? To ensure the fans of the higher penalized team don't get angry? What?

This has always punished the disciplined teams.

Here's a model. Just call a penalty when warranted dictated by the rule book, be consistent in how these rules are being applied during the game and don't worry about the color of the jersey, the score the game or the time you are at in the game.    

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

To make the refs the focal point of the game? To ensure the fans of the higher penalized team don't get angry? What?

Here's a model. Just call a penalty when warranted dictated by the rule book, be consistent in how these rules are being applied during the game and don't worry about the color of the jersey, the score the game or the time you are at in the game.    

Motivation is that if you even it up, no one can say you're biased. The refs are human too and the NHL does nothing to help them. 

The NHL only cares when they're embarrassed. They were embarrassed and worried about the gambling aspect, so they made a move. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Motivation is that if you even it up, no one can say you're biased. The refs are human too and the NHL does nothing to help them. 

The NHL only cares when they're embarrassed. They were embarrassed and worried about the gambling aspect, so they made a move. 

Yea understandable but video is a great thing. Refs are human, yes they make mistakes but applying this model imperfectly but consistently can negate anyone who thinks refs are biased because their team is being unfairly penalized.

Maybe the NHL's hand will be forced to better endorse how games are being called and do a way better job supporting the referees to follow this model.  

One can hope.

31 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Well said.  I’ve said this so many times over the years.  Why bother having rules if they’re only enforced occasionally, when it helps even up the PP’s?  Call the game according to the rules, at all times, and maybe your integrity would be less under fire.

Jets would have to give way to much for Ekholm, supposedly he loves Nashville so the chances of re signing him would be slight, plus does Nashville really want to trade to us when we will back in the same division next year, Savard on the other could slide right next to Morrissey and would be a good fit, plus we would have a better chance to re sign him after this year